Shimano XTR Please help!!

Dicky DQ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought - I had some issues with a short cage derailleur that sound like this. Turned out that with a 42 cog on the back, the derailleur wasn’t able to maintain sufficient chain tension at the bottom of the range. So chain slap caused wear problems when in the 11 sprocket at the bottom. Its worth checking which derailleur length you have, and is it suited to the cluster on the bike.

Only issue I ever had with this same model XTR was with KMC chain (X11SL) - don't get me wrong I really like their chains but it is definitely not designed with this model XTR for 2 reasons:

1 - New XTR derailleur wheels (specifically the top wheel) has thicker teeth than the width of the gaps in the chain plates - thus the chain does not sit nicely into the jockey wheel.

2. the measured width of the wider chain links are very narrow and narrower than the XTR chain. This can cause the chain to slip between the cage and wheels more easily than with the XTR chain.

I am not saying this is your problem but considering there is a chance the your chain is hopping or vibrating off the wheel on rough surfaces and you have lost such a considerable amount of material on the cage and there is a possibility of slop and movement in the pulley wheels themselves you could have a compounded problem with not only 1 component to blame but general wear and tear requiring maintenance or component replacement.

I have about 4000km of trouble free riding with my XTR 11sp running a SRAM 10-42 XX1 cassette for added range and XTR long cage derailleur and shifter.with Wolftooth XTR 1x chainring in 36 34 or 32.

2c in die emmer.

Only issue I ever had with this same model XTR was with KMC chain (X11SL) - don't get me wrong I really like their chains but it is definitely not designed with this model XTR for 2 reasons:

1 - New XTR derailleur wheels (specifically the top wheel) has thicker teeth than the width of the gaps in the chain plates - thus the chain does not sit nicely into the jockey wheel.

2. the measured width of the wider chain links are very narrow and narrower than the XTR chain. This can cause the chain to slip between the cage and wheels more easily than with the XTR chain.

I am not saying this is your problem but considering there is a chance the your chain is hopping or vibrating off the wheel on rough surfaces and you have lost such a considerable amount of material on the cage and there is a possibility of slop and movement in the pulley wheels themselves you could have a compounded problem with not only 1 component to blame but general wear and tear requiring maintenance or component replacement.

I have about 4000km of trouble free riding with my XTR 11sp running a SRAM 10-42 XX1 cassette for added range and XTR long cage derailleur and shifter.with Wolftooth XTR 1x chainring in 36 34 or 32.

2c in die emmer.

I do not not fully agree with you on this one...

I run a XT 11-42 cassette with XT chain on my gravel with XTR m9000 rear mech & shifter and 36 Csixx chainring with no issues.

I used to run this with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette but shifting wasn't as perfect as I wanted so switched to a e-thirteen 9-46 cassette and same KMC X11SL DLC black chain and rotor 34t oval up-front with no issues whatsoever.

I run this setup with XTR DI2 on my dual at the moment and have never had a shift missed, skipped or slipped.

I also do all the work on my bikes myself so no bike shop mechanics to blame if something goes wrong.

I do get the odd finger pointed now and again for always pitching up with a clean bike ;)

Could be that the bottom pulley does not have enough play. The top and bottom pulleys have different axle/bearing/bushing/spacer combinations, giving them different amounts of play  The reason the cage is slightly wider is so that the bottom pulley can run at an angle without chain rub.

Unless the gears/chain are in the centre of the cassette, the chain-line from chainring to bottom pulley is always at an angle - off centre - If the lower pulley has no play or is installed the wrong way round (or worn), the angled chain-line prevents the chain from engaging the pulley efficiently. Furthermore, making the chain tighter or shorter could worsen the wear and 'climbing-off'  problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

ai DickieDQ...

https://www.evobikes.co.za/wolftooth/wolftooth-goatlink-11-speed.html

die ander gemmer het jou mos gesê ;)

That is a workaround, it is not as if 11-42 is not standard for that shimano non sense.

However an update is:

1, Have slackend off the clutch, 2 turns from locked

2. Have added a spacer to the BB on the drive side (there are now three spacers about 7 or 8mm) so now the chainline is straight on the 13. I did that as I thought that i am going too slow on the 32-37-42 for it to be an issue. Some other ware issues may creep in, but so be it.

I took it for a ride and things seem better, howerver 2 caveats;

1. the shifting between 13 and 12 now seems sluggish (I can deal with that)

2. My legs were too tired today to give it a proper test as I was too slow over the bumpy single track to be riding in the 12 or 11. will have to rest again with fresher legs.

Let's see what happens.

Archived