Stolen: Look 596 2015 (Cape Town)

davidsonmarisia

This is dodgy AF. Gumtree ad was listed on the 10th of Jan and this guy is reporting bike as stolen two days ago.

To all you critics always expecting the worst. I am the guy who posted the add that I had information regarding the bike that was stolen. I came across two guys, the one was trying to sell a Look ironman triathlon bike to someone else for R2000. The amount immediately raised some flags as well as the guy trying to sell the bike did not seem like someone who was of the financial state to own such a bike. I took special note as to the frame colors and wheelset. I went to check online to see if it was a stolen bike and came across the ad on gumtree and an expired add on bikehub where the bike is being offered for a swap. I then downloaded the pics because it seemed to me to be exactly this bike and listed it.

I contacted the person advertising the bike on bikehub and asked him to contact the person to whom he sold the bike ( if he already sold the bike) and ask them if their bike was stolen because I have information that could lead to the recovery and the arrest of the suspect. He then called me to tell me that he is out of the country and did not know his bike was stolen but his son went to check and realized that it was indeed stolen.

To all you critics always expecting the worst. I am the guy who posted the add that I had information regarding the bike that was stolen. I came across two guys, the one was trying to sell a Look ironman triathlon bike to someone else for R2000. The amount immediately raised some flags as well as the guy trying to sell the bike did not seem like someone who was of the financial state to own such a bike. I took special note as to the frame colors and wheelset. I went to check online to see if it was a stolen bike and came across the ad on gumtree and an expired add on bikehub where the bike is being offered for a swap. I then downloaded the pics because it seemed to me to be exactly this bike and listed it.

I contacted the person advertising the bike on bikehub and asked him to contact the person to whom he sold the bike ( if he already sold the bike) and ask them if their bike was stolen because I have information that could lead to the recovery and the arrest of the suspect. He then called me to tell me that he is out of the country and did not know his bike was stolen but his son went to check and realized that it was indeed stolen.

This is the standard response to be expected from the hub club. Expect that soon someone will have something to say about your comment that the person in possession of the bike did not seem like someone in the financial state to own such a bike.

Thank you and well done to you for going the extra mile and trying to do the right thing.

This is the standard response to be expected from the hub club. Expect that soon someone will have something to say about your comment that the person in possession of the bike did not seem like someone in the financial state to own such a bike.

Thank you and well done to you for going the extra mile and trying to do the right thing.

Question: if you dislike The Hub and its rumblings, why do you visit?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

It is really disappointing when a member of this forum is actively trying to discredit a stolen report, and furthermore, a honest person who has taken the time to warn me of the theft itself.

I can only thank Montecristo for letting me know, as I said before, I was out of country and only came home on the 8th for the Argus…

Only today, I found out of these thread from friends and the local bike store…

Hope the forum member  @pista and others who have acted similarly to have the decency to apologize for their behaviour… really shameful

Davidson

This is dodgy AF. Gumtree ad was listed on the 10th of Jan and this guy is reporting bike as stolen two days ago.

Its amazing how you take conclusions based on your lack of integrity. Not all of us, have same integrity or lack thereof.

The bike was bought on this very same website, and I had it upgraded with a R15000 brand new groupset, as well other components, but would not fit me nor a nephew which I hoped would fit, unfortunately it did not fit him as well as he managed to outgrow my expectations… which I then decided to sell it back on gumtree… (and for your information, I had 3 offers, waiting my return to SA to collect the bike).

If it wasn´t for Montecristo, I would not even learn about the theft until the 8th March when I returned to Cape Town for the Argus…

The bike was never insured nor I intended to do so, along with the bike, my GS tankbag, GPS unit and fog lights were also stolen… police is still on the lookout, and in fact just today I got a call from the detective on the case…

I only learned about this thread of speculations, because the local store where I had the bike upgraded told be about these ridiculous comments from few forum members.

Cyclists are already an fragile and small community, people like you, just make the wrong impression upon the rest of us.

I HONESLTY HOPE YOU HAVE THE DECENCY TO APOLOGIZE FOR THIS SHAMEFUL DISPLAY OF CARATHER.