Travel Adjustment - RockShox

wilhelm-S

I have a RochShox Reba RL (+/- 2015 model) fork, with currently 100mm of travel (is that standard?).

I understand that the travel on some forks can be increased - if the "hardware" allows it. How do I know / check if the travel on my particular for can be increased, to say 120mm?

What is the main component I need to check or measure to see if it will work?

Some of the older forks had spacers in which when removed gave more travel. New forks you will need to change the air spring and possibly the damper to so it gets expensive.

Perhaps check the sticker on the side of the fork. Some RS forks have the PSI values for the different travels on there. I changed my Recon to 120mm by removing a spacer, but not sure about the Reba. It's actually something that I've wanted to know since I'm looking at getting a Reba so I'm curious.

RS forks often have markings on the damper side stanchion - if there's a set of markings for 120mm then all you'll need is a new air spring, assuming it's a solo air.

If not you'll have to open it up and see if there's enough bushing overlap and damper shaft extension to handle an extra 20mm of travel.

RS forks often have markings on the damper side stanchion - if there's a set of markings for 120mm then all you'll need is a new air spring, assuming it's a solo air.

If not you'll have to open it up and see if there's enough bushing overlap and damper shaft extension to handle an extra 20mm of travel.

How go I go about "seeing if there is enough bushing overlap & damper extension" 

What / where should I measure? 

How go I go about "seeing if there is enough bushing overlap & damper extension" 

What / where should I measure? The attached picture may help? 

How the hell do I share a picture ?!

Take it to Andrew at Stoke Suspension - they can check chop chop 

How the hell do I share a picture ?!

Click Reply and then More Reply Options, and then upload the picture...

You can also take the fork to Jacques at Cogent Industries who can assist you, he will also give you all the options you have going forward

Send it to me, or take it to Jacques at Cogent in Faerie Glen or Dave at Spoke and Spanner in Midrand.

Like droo from Stoke said, if a solo air then a new air spring. It's not a major job though and Stoke knows their stuff. 

Whats really cool about the SR Suntour Forks is that they are internal adjustable, some with a pin you dislodge and move the position of the negative spring (I think its negative spring) or the newer fork I have has a spacer in the you remove to increase travel or add to decrease. 

Archived