Giant trance vs giant anthem

manvanstaal

Will i be able to use a giant trance as a xc bike. And what could one pay for trance 29 er with sram 2 x 10 components with elixir brakes dropper seat post and foxshocks front and rear.

That is a lot of bike for XC... it is more of a trail bike. XC riders try to get away with as little as possible to save weight for the climbs. However, you will have stupendous fun on the Trance in technical sections.

I have the Anthem 1 27.5". It has 120mm up front and 110mm in the rear. It's a great bike and if marathon riding is what you're after, it would be high on my list. Slacker HA than an out and out XC bike. By XC do you mean lap racing? If so, I'd not go with the Trance but it is very dependent on what you want out of the ride.

Probably depends on your definition of XC. If you are going to race the XC circuits then you may even have to look at something like a hartail. If you are just going to plomp around flattish SouthAfrican trails with a light dusting of tech (like the rest of us), the trance will be my first choice.

The Anthem 27.5 is a great bike. Capable of long rides and a very fun ,light trail bike. Even more so in the right hands.

The new trance, and the previous one actually , is a great trail bike but only shows its true colors when really pushed hard in fast and or tech stuff.

i know i wouldnt want to do marathon riding on one ( i know there are some beasts doing longer rides on them)

Like they said,  depends on what exactly you want to do with it

Will i be able to use a giant trance as a xc bike. And what could one pay for trance 29 er with sram 2 x 10 components with elixir brakes dropper seat post and foxshocks front and rear.

that depends on what "XC" you're talking about. XCO? Yeah, you can do it, but it won't be the best weapon you can use. 

XCM? Absolutely. Yes, you can. But again, not the best weapon in the stable. 

Stage Racing? Yes, definitely. And in fact, I'd rather have the new trance niner than the anthem on that side of things. 

A mix of all of em? Yep. It pedals well, descends like a bat outta hell and is a proper all-rounder. If you're doing XCO / XCM and are at the pointy end of the field, I'd go Anthem. If you're just having fun, then get the trance. It'll be the better all-rounder without a doubt. 

Riding the Trance on XC I would start by adding air pressure to both shocks, take away some of the pedal bob. Drop some weight fitting a light seatpost,bar going to 1x will also drop a good deal of weight.

Your not going to be winning races but you could make it more competitive.

If you are comparing off the shelf bikes then I would race an Anthem and play on a Trance.

I have owned and raced a 27.5 Trance Advanced, Trance X29 and the previous Anthem Advanced 29.

When racing XCM and your usual 50km mtb races I found this:

The Anthem Advanced was a bus around the tight and twisty stuff - and a bit of a pain but when the road opened up it was fast - weighed 10.9kg at the time.

The 27.5 Trance Advanced was lots of fun and I still own it - it was not as quick overall as the 29ers but that was also due to the configuration was almost 2kg heavier with fat tyres, big brakes, and dropper post with a heavy and soft saddle - the front would also push a bit in tight corners and was not as snappy as the more XC layout bikes - weighs 11.9kg.

The Trance X29 (2013) was a fantastic overall bike with 120mm suspension just enough to bomb through any tech section and the 29er wheels and overall great geometry made for a great and snappy race bike with shorter chainstays than the Anthem and slightly slacker 69deg head angle the bike often asked how brave you are and not the other way around - in race trim weighed 10.6kg.

Now the weights I spec'ed are not off the shelf weight as I kitted the bikes with all sorts of light weight parts and drivetrain to achieve it -  which also changed the behaviour of the bikes.

The new Trance Advanced 29 looks awesome but I think it is even more aggressive than the previous 29er and thus racing overall speed and weight may suffer. The new anthem is a bit short on travel and I don't know if fitting a longer travel fork will make just a slack short travel trail bike - maybe too slack?

Edited by s14phoenix

I would get the Trance. 

You are in the Western Cape, and I assume (from your questions) you aren't really going to be racing XC as in the discipline. You could always slap on some "XC" tyres. 

The lines between "trail" and "xc" and all these others are very blurry...

I would get the Trance. 

You are in the Western Cape, and I assume (from your questions) you aren't really going to be racing XC as in the discipline. You could always slap on some "XC" tyres. 

The lines between "trail" and "xc" and all these others are very blurry...

The line is roughly @ 67.5deg head angle and 110mm suspension travel   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ... now I want a bike with EXACTLY that... or 120mm travel :D

The line is roughly @ 67.5deg head angle and 110mm suspension travel   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ... now I want a bike with EXACTLY that... or 120mm travel :D

Hahaha and if you have less travel then you can only hunt Strava segments at Northern farms. 

You think a bike can pedal at all with that seatpost angle??? 

The new Trance 29er looks super nice. It ticks all the right boxes for me ito travel and geo, except that the head angle is much slacker than what I'm used to from riding a XC oriented full sus atm. I'd like to try one out to see how it handles.

• 4 months later...

Trance 2 2019 owners, any one here having paint chipping issues?

Mine seems to chip off to the bottom white paint at the slightest touch of a flicked stone.

DRAGONS ( Giant SA ) says im the only one with this problem.

PS this is the blue trance 2

I completed Sani2c this year on a Merida 120 800, and managed to finish in the top 15% overall in the Adventure, so it's more about whats in the legs than the bike weighing 1.2kg more than my old 2014 Anthem X1. I did however put on a Rekon Race and Aspen in place of the DHR and Forekaster that the bike came with. Think one cannot beat the price of the 120 800 and the specs it comes with, the Trance is alot more expensive, but perhaps a bit lighter.

I can feel the bike is a bit more sluggish in slow direction changes, but once up to speed it's much more stable and the 130/120mm suspension eats up more than my old Anthem

If you're only looking at Giants I'll also go for the Trance 100%

Edited by mtbride