Looking for a fun trail in Gauteng

Craig Armstrong

I moved to Sandton this year from Cape Town. 

I'm used to the trails of Tokai, Tygerberg and Stellenbosch.

I'll accept that the trails here in Gauteng may not ever be as good as what I'm used to, but I'm hoping to find SOMETHING decent. 

So far, I've done the Spruit, Thaba Trails, Modderfontein and PWC Bike Park.

They were all decent in their own way, but I'm hoping to see a few more berms and/or jumps.

Are there any trails like that, or am I outta luck here

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolwespruit? And once you adjust your trail expectations you might find the all day epics at van gaalens are something special, more technical than flow but loads of fun. Unfortunately hakahana is no more.

Buffelsdrift has some good rocky descents - Supertube (Enduro event will be held there 26th May). Hennops has a cool section with tight berms. Haven't ridden Red Barn but also haven't heard of any reason not to ride there.

Big Red Barn has quite a few berms and they have extended their options recently.

Edited by Engel-a

Big Red Barn has quite a few berms and they have extended their options recently.

I can second this, most fun track that i've ridden in Jhb.

At rietvlei today, kind of disappointed, not bad, but personally found it to be better a few years back.

Such a pity. It seems that all their attention has shifted to fun walks & doggie runs - things that will get the masses there. Very little (if any) effort going into the trails

I moved to Sandton this year from Cape Town.

I'm used to the trails of Tokai, Tygerberg and Stellenbosch.

I'll accept that the trails here in Gauteng may not ever be as good as what I'm used to, but I'm hoping to find SOMETHING decent.

So far, I've done the Spruit, Thaba Trails, Modderfontein and PWC Bike Park.

They were all decent in their own way, but I'm hoping to see a few more berms and/or jumps.

Are there any trails like that, or am I outta luck here

I did the opposite move (from Pta to Somerset West). There are some nice trails - Buffelsdrift, Wolwespruit, Van Gaalens - but nothing even close to what Western Cape has to offer in terms of descent and technicality - all of it can be done comfortably on an XC bike. Unfortunately in Gauteng all the trails are marathon oriented....

Once you adjust your expactations it's okay - but up there you won't find anything too challenging in terms of tech or ascent/descent.

Haka was one the exceptions, but unfortunately now closed. You may want to give the Harties DH line a try too, haven't riden there myself, but have heard that is quite tough.

Personally Buffelsdrift was my go-to, some decent single track sections, just don't go there expecting Jonkershoek/Tokai. The downside is just that it is a hell of a drive to get there from Sandton.

Rosemary Hill is a family fun ride, nothing techy there, and flat as a trail can be - so probably not worth the drive from Sandton.

Big Red Barn, very twisty (your Strava map looks like a bowl of spaghetti), also quite flat and not too techy, but relatively fun - and a bit closer to you, so would be worth the drive.

Wolwespruit - closest thing to Western Cape trails you will find. Descents are very short, but fun. That was a firm favourite on Tuesday evenings for a night ride (open till 9PM). They also have a propper jump line.

A friend and myself also did trips to KZN every once in a while when we really wanted some descending goodness. It's not too far for a weekend getaway and you are spoilt for choice there with the likes of Giba and Cascades.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Such a pity. It seems that all their attention has shifted to fun walks & doggie runs - things that will get the masses there. Very little (if any) effort going into the trails

Also getting that idea, had trees that fell on the trail, no visible effort into trail maintenance. Never saw any other cyclist on the trail, only at the café. It's a pity....

Right on the money! Gauteng trail designs really lack descent imagination. Every down hill is superseded by ascents 4 (or more) times longer. There is definitely opportunity for trails to have more hardcore and longer descents rather than endless CX and relatively tame tracks. Even the PwC Bike Park riders bypass the technical bits to look good on Strava.

I did the opposite move (from Pta to Somerset West). There are some nice trails - Buffelsdrift, Wolwespruit, Van Gaalens - but nothing even close to what Western Cape has to offer in terms of descent and technicality - all of it can be done comfortably on an XC bike. Unfortunately in Gauteng all the trails are marathon oriented....

Right on the money! Gauteng trail designs really lack descent imagination. Every down hill is superseded by ascents 4 (or more) times longer. There is definitely opportunity for trails to have more hardcore and longer descents rather than endless CX and relatively tame tracks. Even the PwC Bike Park riders bypass the technical bits to look good on Strava.

The only comment I will make is that when they did take the (immense) effort and time to build a downhill track at Thaba trails a few guys used it a bit in the beginning and that was it. They soon decided to can it due to it not being used ....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Definitely listening to every recommendation you guys give.

I did Big Red Barn today. Had heaps of fun. Definitely the most challenging trail I've ridden in Gauteng so far. No exciting long downhills, but there were plenty berms and jumps. 

Struggled a little bit with the signage, but maybe I'm just a bit stupid  :blink:

Next on my list is Wolwespruit. Been recommended to me quite a few times in this thread and people I met on the trail today suggested it too. 

After that will be Buffelsdrift.

Thanks again 

Edited by Craig Armstrong

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Definitely listening to every recommendation you guys give.

I did Big Red Barn today. Had heaps of fun. Definitely the most challenging trail I've ridden in Gauteng so far. No exciting long downhills, but there were plenty berms and jumps.

Struggled a little bit with the signage, but maybe I'm just a bit stupid :blink:

Next on my list is Wolwespruit. Been recommended to me quite a few times in this thread and people I met on the trail today suggested it too.

After that will be Buffelsdrift.

Thanks again

You are not stupid ????, the signage at Red Barn is not very good. I've also taken a wrong turn there before.

You can also head out west to Avianto. There is also the cradle mountainbike loop. Lots of fun sections there.

There is a very serious downhill trail in Harties going down under the cableway. That would be your best bet for very technical riding. It was discussed somewhere here on the hub