Long gravel roads for endurance training in Cape Town

Wayne Hartmann

Hi there

My son and I are going to do the 36ONE half and are looking for gravel road training routes in the Cape Town area. We live in Newlands so use the green belt tracks but there really isn't anything much in the long gravel road variety. Suggestions? Where will we find a collection of gravel roads that will allow 100km plus on gravel. I am not looking for hectic stuff...

Regards

Wayne

Bredasdorp take the R319 out of town and turn onto the gravel toward De Hoop nature reserve about 5 km out of town on the right -  many many kilos of quiet gravel to Malgas onto to Swellendam and Heidelberg etc you can map a basic loop or just return the same way staying off the R roads

Edited by bikebloke

Thanks, lovely part of the world...

Bredasdorp take the R319 out of town and turn onto the gravel toward De Hoop nature reserve about 5 km out of town on the right -  many many kilos of quiet gravel to Malgas onto to Swellendam and Heidelberg etc you can map a basic loop or just return the same way staying off the R roads

Hi there

My son and I are going to do the 36ONE half and are looking for gravel road training routes in the Cape Town area. We live in Newlands so use the green belt tracks but there really isn't anything much in the long gravel road variety. Suggestions? Where will we find a collection of gravel roads that will allow 100km plus on gravel. I am not looking for hectic stuff...

Regards

Wayne

From the northern suburbs you can take farm and district roads that can take you all the way to the Northern Cape.

Spend some time on Google Earth to work out a route. Park somewhere in Durbanville and head out towards Philadelphia or Phizantekraal and Gooi mielies.

Die Overstrand between Pearly Beach, Cape Agulhas and Elim. 

Closer to home: What PhilipV said. You can also do loops in Koeberg Nature Reserve to get started. 

Thanks

From the northern suburbs you can take farm and district roads that can take you all the way to the Northern Cape.
Spend some time on Google Earth to work out a route. Park somewhere in Durbanville and head out towards Philadelphia or Phizantekraal and Gooi mielies.

Thanks. I recall doing loops in Koeberg a good few years back! Just about drove me dilly! I will look on the maps at the Pearly Beach area...

Die Overstrand between Pearly Beach, Cape Agulhas and Elim. 

Closer to home: What PhilipV said. You can also do loops in Koeberg Nature Reserve to get started. 

Going to try it out tomorrow...wish us luck!

Wish I could join but bike still to dirty from the weekends riding

Wayne, another option is also to maybe do: http://www.24hoursofoakvalley.co.za

This will give you nice opportunity to ride Awesome trails and get you use to night riding .

But yes , there are gravel roads around Paarl and Paarl mountain, out to Philadelphia way, Eensaamheid.

Go race the cederberg100miler, why not do around the pot in swellendam. The are both 160km supported events

Wish I could join but bike still to dirty from the weekends riding

That one was a nice ride...the wind and the corrugated roads certainly spiced things up! Thanks for sharing.

Cederberg 100 miler looks interesting...

Wayne, another option is also to maybe do: http://www.24hoursofoakvalley.co.za
This will give you nice opportunity to ride Awesome trails and get you use to night riding .
But yes , there are gravel roads around Paarl and Paarl mountain, out to Philadelphia way, Eensaamheid.

Go race the cederberg100miler, why not do around the pot in swellendam. The are both 160km supported events