Help on buying a new bike

Johankrugersa1

Morning guys.

I know this question has been asked countless of times.

But I don’t want to make the wrong decision here.

I am looking at a new dual suspension bike, budget around R45K

Now my question is, what would be the best bike to buy.

I like doing races and want to try and take it up a notch. Did a couple of stage races and would be doing some this year.

I can get a Merida ninety six 7000 in my budget.

Is it worth buying or should I be looking at a Scott spark or maybe Cannondale?

I Know I should go for what makes me drool, but don’t want to drop 45k on a bike that might not be the best one

Out and out race bike - the 2019 Giant line up is seriously drool worthy and great value for money. If I was you I'd get the best specced Giant Anthem I can afford.

Morning guys.

I know this question has been asked countless of times.

But I don’t want to make the wrong decision here.

I am looking at a new dual suspension bike, budget around R45K

Now my question is, what would be the best bike to buy.

I like doing races and want to try and take it up a notch. Did a couple of stage races and would be doing some this year.

I can get a Merida ninety six 7000 in my budget.

Is it worth buying or should I be looking at a Scott spark or maybe Cannondale?

I Know I should go for what makes me drool, but don’t want to drop 45k on a bike that might not be the best one

That Merida looks really good, otherwise the Scott Contessa Spark 920 also looks like a decent option.

That Merida looks really good, otherwise the Scott Contessa Spark 920 also looks like a decent option.

Isn't the Contessa a woman specific bike?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Not 100% sure actually. I saw it on Bike Addict and it looked good, with good components.

Not 100% sure actually. I saw it on Bike Addict and it looked good, with good components.

Yes, it is. But doesn't really change much apart from the saddle, bars & stem (if that) to shorten it a bit. Maybe shorter cranks as well, in some cases. 

I'd recommend the Scott Spark over the Merida, personally. Much better geo (more confidence inspiring) and better looking, IMO. Then the Anthem and Cannondale Scalpel would be good alternatives. Just remember to test a few of them and if you're inbetween sizes, the rule of thumb is to go for the larger frame and fit a shorter stem, if you're able to fit the dropper you want on the larger frame while still having clearance, but that may change with the manufacturer. You may be an XL in one brand and a Large in another, so bear that in mind.

You should also not forget the Epic or Epic EVO, which is another great option (current Epic Evo Comp is going for ~44k according to their website)

Thanx for all the input and comments guys. I am on my way to a couple of shops now, hopefully I can test ride one or two.

Morning guys

I can get a 2018 giant anthem advance 1 for the same money as the Merida.

Very nice bike. Just remember that only the mainframe is Carbon, the rear triangle is still aluminium but that is no issue. What price can you get the Anthem for?

Morning guys

I can get a 2018 giant anthem advance 1 for the same money as the Merida.

the new Anthems are really nice and of course it comes with Giant's lifetime warranty which is probably the best around. I know a couple of people on Giant's who are very happy, 1 had a frame claim just the other day with absolutely no issues and very quick turnaround time.

I can get it for a tad over 40k new. I saw only mainframe is carbon, but it looks as if it comes with carbon wheels though. Components slx with deore brakes.

Do yourself a favour and call up Trailwolf Cycles in PTA and see if they have an Anthem you can test ride and then call Rory at Ridgeway cycles in Greenstone to see if he can get a Merida for you to test over a few days.

Archived