Giant TCR Sizing and using a 80mm stem

Veebee

Sometimes we just need feedback from guys with hands on experience.

I am looking at getting a 2019 TCR Adv frame and stuck between sizes. Due to the geometry, the Medium seat tube falls shorts a bit.

This is what I got back from Giant. I need saddle to BB centre to be 800mm. The problem comes in if I go for a ML frame then my reach is a problem and I would need to run a 70/80mm stem which could create some handling issues.

What do you guys suggest ? Anyone at height of > 183cm using a medium Giant frame??

The TCR Medium Seat tube length is 470mm. The seatpost that comes with it should be a 350mm but you could put a 400mm in.

Minimum insert depth is 90mm and the seatpost head is 35mm to the rails. Depending on the seat you use that could add another 50mm.

Adding that altogether 470mm – 90mm + 310mm +35mm + 50mm will give you 775mm.

So I’d say that no, a Medium would not work for you and the extra 30mm on the ML frame will give the correct saddle height. Although running the seatpost above Minimum insert on the Medium is tempting, it could cause structural problems in the long run and isn’t recommended. The Minimum Insert recommendations are there for a reason

I'm 172 and have a 54 TCR frame with a 80mm stem. Yes I know the bike is too big for me. I haven't noticed any handling issues with the shorter stem. I'm no racing snake tho

At 183cm I would never think the medium would work for you.  Definitely go bigger.

thing is they are all different... My last bike was a Medium 2016 propel, but due to the geometry it has 30mm more on the seat tube length and that worked fine.

Everybike I've ever owned was a medium. I destroyed my medium Tarmac frame and replaced it with a medium Raleigh frame. The top tube of the Raleigh was a massive 2.5cm longer than the Tarmac (I'm sure the Raleigh should have been a large).

I swopped out the 100mm stem for an 80mm stem. There was no handling issues at all and I felt more comfortable on the Raleigh than the Tarmac. 

Sometimes we just need feedback from guys with hands on experience.

I am looking at getting a 2019 TCR Adv frame and stuck between sizes. Due to the geometry, the Medium seat tube falls shorts a bit.

This is what I got back from Giant. I need saddle to BB centre to be 800mm. The problem comes in if I go for a ML frame then my reach is a problem and I would need to run a 70/80mm stem which could create some handling issues.

What do you guys suggest ? Anyone at height of > 183cm using a medium Giant frame??

The TCR Medium Seat tube length is 470mm. The seatpost that comes with it should be a 350mm but you could put a 400mm in.

Minimum insert depth is 90mm and the seatpost head is 35mm to the rails. Depending on the seat you use that could add another 50mm.

Adding that altogether 470mm – 90mm + 310mm +35mm + 50mm will give you 775mm.

So I’d say that no, a Medium would not work for you and the extra 30mm on the ML frame will give the correct saddle height. Although running the seatpost above Minimum insert on the Medium is tempting, it could cause structural problems in the long run and isn’t recommended. The Minimum Insert recommendations are there for a reason

Hi. I've looked into this more and you don't get the Variant Seatpost in 400mm so you'll need a large.

The tcr just doesn't work well with a short stem. I've found that the road geometry on Giants Road bikes just doesn't work for me. Either seat tube is too short or top tube and reach is too long.

so i look elsewhere. Maybe consider chapter 2 bikes

The tcr just doesn't work well with a short stem. I've found that the road geometry on Giants Road bikes just doesn't work for me. Either seat tube is too short or top tube and reach is too long.

so i look elsewhere. Maybe consider chapter 2 bikes

I am considering trying elsewhere, but seems to be a problem with a few brands now.

Looked at Swift as frame prices are similar but their sizing is almost the same as Giant.

Waiting for them to confirm on the max seat height.

Archived