Western Cape road routes for an international cyclist

CJam

Hi folks,

I’m an Irishman in Cape Town for a few weeks and I’m having separation anxiety from my bike at home. I’ll be renting a car and a road bike for 5 days in mid-June and I’m just looking for advice on routes around the area.

I’ve had a look around the forum and have found some on other sites but haven’t seen too many to suit my preferred distances and areas. Seeing as I don’t really know the roads and avoiding bike-jackings is not something I have to worry about at home, I thought I might ask if any of you might share some .gpx files/suggest some nice routes.

Ideally I’m looking for strictly road routes of 80-200km and within driving distance of Cape Town (up to 2 hours) if I can find a parking space. Very happy to do some climbing, and scenic routes are very welcome - but any route of that sort of distance will do really. More than happy to ride with others - I aim for a 30-ish kph avg. over 100km at home but I’d expect that’s ambitious with the hills, heat and quality of the rental here, ha!

Sorry if something similar has been posted before. Thank you so much!

Park in Gordons Bay at Bikini beach and ride Clarens drive (R44) route via Kleinmond to Hermanus and return - great scenery on a good road -pretty safe for an experienced roadie  (some heavy vehicles but not much traffic on a weekday )

160 km round trip (1 hours drive from capetown)

there are always other cyclists on route and plenty place to stop for coffee etc

use a red tail light if you have one

Edited by bikebloke

Park in Greenpoint at Virgin Activ. Ride along Beach rd to Camps Bay, Houtbay over Chappies and then Blackhill all the way to  Simonstown and Cape Point. Turn back at head home. Most scenic route you will find. Should net you about a 100km.

Edited by Cippo

There is a road race/sportive on the 9th of June that should be fun, enter here:

https://www.pedalpower.org.za/events/pedal-power-association-237/

I would recommend joining one of the open Saturday group rides as per the information below. If you are staying in the Cape Town City bowl you should be able to cycle to any of the meeting points for the three groups in the "Southern Suburbs" - or the PPA ride.

I belong to the Freewheel Cycling Club and you are welcome to join us on Saturday morning. We normally ride the main cycling routes around Champman's Peak through Red Hill, Cape Point depending on the weather, wind direction etc. Its always fun riding in a group and you'd be able to get familiar with some stunning routes around Cape Town with the safety of a bigger group.

Southern suburbs Open Group Rides:

• Rides start on Saturdays from the Life Cycle store in Tokai. For more info contact 021 701 0511.
  • Freewheel Cycling Club leaves every Saturday morning from outside Bootlegger Kenilworth. They meet at 6: 45 am and ride at 7:00 am, heading out for around 3 hours. They welcome any new riders. If you would like to find out more about the Club, please visit www.clubfreewheel.co.za or call Luisa on 083 324 1323
  • Atlantic Seaboard - Hout Bay. Calling all cyclists! Worried about cycling on your own? Why not meet at The Vine sports themed coffee shop at 8am on Saturdays and Sundays?  Situated 100 meters from the start of Chapman’s Peak Drive - routes to vary depending on rider ability and numbers participating. Post ride breakfast specials for cyclists!

Northern suburbs (around 20 minutes by car from CBD):

• Rides start on Saturdays at 07h00 from the BP service station at the Edgemead Shopping Centre in Letchworth Drive. Visit www.citycyclingclub.co.za for more info. Enquiries: Mark on 083 318 9379 or John (after hours) on 083 583 1729.

Helderberg area (around 40 minutes by car from CBD)  

• The Wannabees Cycling Club has rides every Saturday and Sunday leaving from the Lord Charles Hotel at 7H00 (Somerset West-Strand-Gordons Bay). There are different groups (newbies, fast group etc) and everyone rides the same route. The groups are followed by a vehicle to assist where needed. Everyone does the same route. Email secretary@wannabees.com.   Visit our website for updated times of rides https://wannabees.co.za/calendar/road/

PPA SOCIAL RIDE

Our road social rides take place every Saturday morning at 07h30 from the PPA office in Hill Park Lane, Mowbray - ride Captain and Support Vehicle. For more information please contact Jannis on 021 671 6340 or send an email to jannis@pedalpower.org.za

Park in Greenpoint at Virgin Activ. Ride along Beach rd to Camps Bay, Houtbay over Chappies and then Blackhill all the way to  Simonstown and Cape Point. Turn back at head home. Most scenic route you will find. Should net you about a 100km.

This for sure! Some more info here: https://www.capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cycle-tour-364

If it's a weekend, just ask or follow the other cyclists should you get lost.

In terms of the sad reality of criminal attacks, the roads in and out of Kommetjie have seen the most incidents recently. Heading over Blackhill towards Simonstown and back, as Cippo suggests, avoids this area.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and for the safety notes!

I've booked my rental for the first week of June now, so I'll definitely try and make it to a Saturday and Sunday club ride.

Hi folks,

I’m an Irishman in Cape Town for a few weeks and I’m having separation anxiety from my bike at home. I’ll be renting a car and a road bike for 5 days in mid-June and I’m just looking for advice on routes around the area.

I’ve had a look around the forum and have found some on other sites but haven’t seen too many to suit my preferred distances and areas. Seeing as I don’t really know the roads and avoiding bike-jackings is not something I have to worry about at home, I thought I might ask if any of you might share some .gpx files/suggest some nice routes.

Ideally I’m looking for strictly road routes of 80-200km and within driving distance of Cape Town (up to 2 hours) if I can find a parking space. Very happy to do some climbing, and scenic routes are very welcome - but any route of that sort of distance will do really. More than happy to ride with others - I aim for a 30-ish kph avg. over 100km at home but I’d expect that’s ambitious with the hills, heat and quality of the rental here, ha!

Sorry if something similar has been posted before. Thank you so much!

Send me a DM or touch base on Twitter/instagram and will invite you along when we ride then. 

I've booked my rental for the first week of June now, so I'll definitely try and make it to a Saturday and Sunday club ride.

What size are you? If you want a bike longer than that week, let us know, have a few road bikes that need to be ridden :P

Looks like you are in luck, the weather is tentatively looking great for a winter day in Cape Town next weekend. The main club rides are normally on Saturday, its a bit dark in the mornings at the moment (another reason to join a group with a lot lights), but you will still catch some great views over Chapman's peak - definitely worth riding it in full daylight during the week too.

I got out on a solo ride this morning, and while ok, would definitely have been nicer with company.

I may have to look for a group too. :)

What size are you? If you want a bike longer than that week, let us know, have a few road bikes that need to be ridden :P

I finish working in Cape Town on the 31st and then I fly home on the 5th so I'm limited to these days on the bike unfortunately, thanks for the offer though!

Looks like you are in luck, the weather is tentatively looking great for a winter day in Cape Town next weekend. The main club rides are normally on Saturday, its a bit dark in the mornings at the moment (another reason to join a group with a lot lights), but you will still catch some great views over Chapman's peak - definitely worth riding it in full daylight during the week too.

Thanks MDJ, and that's good to hear about the weather! I've contacted the shop I'm hiring off to see if they'll rent out lights too. I'll e-mail those clubs you mentioned today just to let them know that I'm interest, to avoid showing up unannounced.

I got out on a solo ride this morning, and while ok, would definitely have been nicer with company.

I may have to look for a group too. :)

I'll probably join the Atlantic Seaboard - Hout Bay group ride on Saturday that MDJ mentioned, so if you come along you won't be the only newbie there! :)

Edited by CJam

I'll probably join the Atlantic Seaboard - Hout Bay group ride on Saturday that MDJ mentioned, so if you come along you won't be the only newbie there! :)

I'm unlikely to make those starting points as they are logistically challenging, but perhaps our paths will cross out on the road.

Enjoy your stay.

Another good option is to find your way along Tafelberg Road. Done with Signal Hill, The Glen (up from Camps Bay), you'll find a good few hills.

Weather can be a challenge at times, so bring appropriate stuff to keep warm and dry when it's none of that

Weather can be a challenge at times, so bring appropriate stuff to keep warm and dry when it's none of that

I doubt whether the Cape's weather will be much of a challenge for an Irishman. :)

I finish working in Cape Town on the 31st and then I fly home on the 5th so I'm limited to these days on the bike unfortunately, thanks for the offer though!

Thanks MDJ, and that's good to hear about the weather! I've contacted the shop I'm hiring off to see if they'll rent out lights too. I'll e-mail those clubs you mentioned today just to let them know that I'm interest, to avoid showing up unannounced.

Cool, the weather is still looking good - so it should be a great weekend for riding on both Saturday and Sunday. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to join one of the Freewheel Saturday rides at 7am.