Rear Shock Upgrade / Swap

lyslexic

Hi

Fairly new to the world of dual suspension and have a few questions about swapping the rear shock.

The measurements currently are 190 x 42.5

Am I correct in saying that 190 is the eye to eye length and 42.5 is the stoke ?

If that is correct then would I be able to upgrade to any 190mm shock regardless of the stoke ?

Would I need to stick with 190 or can I go 200 ?

Hi

Fairly new to the world of dual suspension and have a few questions about swapping the rear shock.

The measurements currently are 190 x 42.5

Am I correct in saying that 190 is the eye to eye length and 42.5 is the stoke ?

CORRECT

If that is correct then would I be able to upgrade to any 190mm shock regardless of the stoke ?

NO - STROKE IS WHAT GIVES YOU THE FRAME TRAVEL WHEN YOU MULTIPLY THE STROKE BY THE LEVERAGE RATIO. SO 42.5MM STROKE WITH A ~3:1 LEVERAGE RATIO GETS YOU TOTAL TRAVEL OF 127.5MM. YOU *COULD* DO IT, BUT THAT'D MESS WITH YOUR SUSPENSION KINEMATICS. GIANT TRANCES ARE FAMOUS FOR THIS, THOUGH. THEIR STANDARD SHOCK SIZE WAS 200X50/51 BUT YOU COULD FIT A 200X57 AND INCREASE THE TRAVEL LIKE THAT

Would I need to stick with 190 or can I go 200 ?

STICK WITH 190

you will need to fit a 190 or you will change the geometry of the suspension and may cause problems like it over extending and hitting your main triangle

CFBM, that is interesting! I always thought I could upgrade my 190x42.5 to something like a 190x52

Check the forums via a google search to see if anyone's done it before. 

What frame?

stumpjumper st alloy

I know the lt version has a 210 x 50 on the same frame but that also has 140 on the front and not 130 like the st.

@lyslexic

I also have the ST Stumpy, please let me know if you end up changing anything and what difference it makes

@lyslexic

I also have the ST Stumpy, please let me know if you end up changing anything and what difference it makes

Will do. So far, have gone 1x12. I think the brakes are really bad and will change that at some point.

The reason for the rear shock change is that I can't get it to work for me. When I go over rollers, I bounce all over the place. my camelbak flies up and smacks my helmet and I feel like the bike is trying to throw me over the handlebars.

Have played around with the shock pressure and rebound but nothing seems to help, hence looking to swap it out. 

I had the same issue, I decreased the pressure a bit and changed the rebound rate to about 7/8 out of 12, all good now.

I also swapped out the brakes, the tektro's are useless. I weigh 84kg on a XL frame, going down fast single track and hitting brakes...all you get is squish. Put on SLX'x and very happy with them.

Will do. So far, have gone 1x12. I think the brakes are really bad and will change that at some point.

The reason for the rear shock change is that I can't get it to work for me. When I go over rollers, I bounce all over the place. my camelbak flies up and smacks my helmet and I feel like the bike is trying to throw me over the handlebars.

Have played around with the shock pressure and rebound but nothing seems to help, hence looking to swap it out. 

Are you running air volume reducers?

rebound can be re adjusted by the distributor. Sometimes the shock is set up for a rider in different weight category than the shock was tuned for

I had the same issue, I decreased the pressure a bit and changed the rebound rate to about 7/8 out of 12, all good now.

I also swapped out the brakes, the tektro's are useless. I weigh 84kg on a XL frame, going down fast single track and hitting brakes...all you get is squish. Put on SLX'x and very happy with them.

Thanks, will keep adjusting then and hope for the best.