SA Bicycle stands

Andymann

I need to try and park them all in a line like the old school bicycle racks - I'm converting a spare room in my house to a bicycle room so I don't have great wall space - 4 max against the two walls unfortunately.

Parktool race rack - build your own - take about 20 minutes.

If you want to experiment with one to see if it works for you, pm me - I have one you can play with.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parktool race rack - build your own - take about 20 minutes.

If you want to experiment with one to see if it works for you, pm me - I have one you can play with.

Do you possibly have a photo ?

I recall seeing something on Evobikes website .... darned if I can find now ...

seems my 29'er and one of the small studs had a bastard child .... :w00t:  and the little N+1 road bike is standless at the moment ....  :whistling:

Dankie, wou sê ek HET dit mos op Evobikes gesien -

https://www.evobikes.co.za/feedback-sports-a-frame-event-stand-black-includes-bag.html

I also recall a post on the Hub where somebody hung a pipe from the rafters.  Hook the saddles over the pipe and all the bikes are out the way.  Think he made it heigh enough that the back wheels were raised above the car's bonnet.

I used to just use a rope hangmans noose hanging from the rafters - just hook the nose of the saddle in and done...

Dankie, wou sê ek HET dit mos op Evobikes gesien -

https://www.evobikes.co.za/feedback-sports-a-frame-event-stand-black-includes-bag.html

I also recall a post on the Hub where somebody hung a pipe from the rafters.  Hook the saddles over the pipe and all the bikes are out the way.  Think he made it heigh enough that the back wheels were raised above the car's bonnet.

Dead easy to make out of 50mm PVC pipe and a few long bolts and washers - once you have the how sorted out then you can convert it to steel if it sags in the middle - should be able to make one that can take 4 bikes for about R200 or less.

Slightly off topic.

Does anybody have any idea as to how I could store wheels flat against a garage wall?

Even flat up against a mezzanine roof?

I was thinking of using channel iron bolted onto the wall with a diagonal cut in order to slide the skewer in and tighten using the skewer. Possibly not explained well but you get my drift.

There is not enough space to hang so that is out of the question although it is the easiest way using hooks.

Slightly off topic.

Does anybody have any idea as to how I could store wheels flat against a garage wall?

Even flat up against a mezzanine roof?

I was thinking of using channel iron bolted onto the wall with a diagonal cut in order to slide the skewer in and tighten using the skewer. Possibly not explained well but you get my drift.

There is not enough space to hang so that is out of the question although it is the easiest way using hooks.

I put an appropriately sized Rawl Bolt/Wall Anchor into the wall, with the right size threaded rod to suit my road hubs, and then took the bolt part out, screwed the threaded rod in, slid the wheel over, and tightened with a nut and washer on the other side.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

Edit:

One of these (5x50mm in my case) drilled into the wall, tightened with the supplied bolt, and then removed the bolt.

Then I screwed a 5mm Threaded Rod into the Wall Anchor (cut to size in advance)

Then I slid the wheel over the threaded rod onto the wall, and then tightened with an M5 Nut and Washer.

I hope that makes more sense.

You can double up on the wheels as well if the skewer size matches.

Edited by bertusras

Dankie Bertus

I may well use your method .... to mount a very good looking rim in the braai room (against the wall), and hang event medals on it .... 

Edited by ChrisF

I put an appropriately sized Rawl Bolt/Wall Anchor into the wall, with the right size threaded rod to suit my road hubs, and then took the bolt part out, screwed the threaded rod in, slid the wheel over, and tightened with a nut and washer on the other side.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

Edit:

One of these (5x50mm in my case) drilled into the wall, tightened with the supplied bolt, and then removed the bolt.

Then I screwed a 5mm Threaded Rod into the Wall Anchor (cut to size in advance)

Then I slid the wheel over the threaded rod onto the wall, and then tightened with an M5 Nut and Washer.

I hope that makes more sense.

You can double up on the wheels as well if the skewer size matches.

Yip, perfect sense, thanks Bertus.  Had something like that in mind.  Easiest way to go I think? I have some threaded bar lying around I was going to chuck.....busy moving into a "Home" and bicycles are something the residents have long forgotten about.

There is a brand out there called “clug”. May be wrong but I think they local , Based in CT.

They look really good, small and neat. Can be used with any tyres from 1.8 - 2,5’ . R250 I think.

There is a guy selling them on the hub, or just give it a google!

So installed my "Clugs" this weekend - very impressed.  For the layout I needed they work perfectly.  For the road bikes I've got three stored in the space where i was leaning one against the wall.

I might need to secure the front wheels of the MTB a bit - the MTB's seem a tad heavy and can fall over, but all in all I'm very happy.

post-15215-0-79128500-1563179908_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-51240000-1563179918_thumb.jpg

I received my Widle Honde Bike brackets from Extreme lights.

Installed them on Saturday. Really easy to install. But probably a two-person job if you are meticulous about heights and marking etc etc.

post-24416-0-44093900-1563187565_thumb.jpg

I have another two to install, but need to do a bit more space planning in the garage to accommodate the bikes.

I'm actually thinking of putting the Zeus in the Lounge, as it's such a stunning classic, but then the missus would want her Yeti in there as well...

Edit: Note How I install the missus's bike prior to my own...happy wife, happy life...

Edited by RocknRolla