Advice/Help for a dual

tomsegon

Went through the same difficult decision a week ago.

Went for a new 2019 Specialized epic evo comp. Got a good deal because the 2020 range just arrived. Very happy with my decision. New to duel suspension. Love the feel of the 120mm suspension. Also in the garden route so can't wait to hit the trails.

Edited by Abel de Beer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a 2019 Epic Evo for almost a month now, couldn't be happier. Major upgrade over my previous hardtail (with it's tiny 80mm travel fork).

Has definitely upped my confidence on trails and the fan factor - even though I'm still taking things very carefully as it's my first month back cycling after being out for 6 months due to shoulder op. 

- will however look to upgrade the brakes sometime in the near future as SRAM Level TLs are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've had a 2019 Epic Evo for almost a month now, couldn't be happier. Major upgrade over my previous hardtail (with it's tiny 80mm travel fork).

Has definitely upped my confidence on trails and the fan factor - even though I'm still taking things very carefully as it's my first month back cycling after being out for 6 months due to shoulder op. 

- will however look to upgrade the brakes sometime in the near future as SRAM Level TLs are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You could always just upgrade to bigger rotors first

There it is - ironically basically identical in colour to my hard tail that got stolen

Very cool and nice colour scheme.

I have the same issues with my TL's on my Epic. Nice to know that i can look into bigger rotors first. Thanks guys!

I have the same issues with my TL's on my Epic. Nice to know that i can look into bigger rotors first. Thanks guys!

Silly question maybe, but plse explain to me how this would help? Not very technically gifted, but I have to upgrade my EVO's brakes as well, and would like to know how this works in layman's terms :mellow:

Silly question maybe, but plse explain to me how this would help? Not very technically gifted, but I have to upgrade my EVO's brakes as well, and would like to know how this works in layman's terms :mellow:

I'm assuming more surface area for the pads to grip... :whistling:

You're effectively giving the brakes a longer lever arm to work with, thereby increasing their power. 

Think of it like 2 spanners. One short, one long. You're able to undo tight bolts much more easily with the long one, as you're able to exert more force onto the bolt because of the longer "moment" (distance from the bolt / centre of the hub to the pressure point / brake caliper)

This gives you either better modulation, or more power, depending on how hard you wanna brake. You don't need as much pressure on teh lever to get the same braking power.  

Also has the added benefit of not heating up as much, as it's got more material to the disc. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

What size rotors do you currently have on?

180mm front and back is normally a good combo.

Mine are both 180mm already. What's the next size, 205mm?

You could always just upgrade to bigger rotors first

Thanks yes that upgrade is already on the cards :thumbup:  (will then re-asses) 

That and swapping out the rear Fast Trak tire for something more "traily"

What size rotors do you currently have on?

180mm front and back is normally a good combo.

Currently 180 front, 160 rear.

I'm also on the bigger side (1.92m and hovering either side of 100kg) so what is adequate stopping power for some is less than ideal for me, especially on a long or steep downhills.