Used Merida reacto 5000 or new Emonda sl5

BassoBoy

Hello Hubbers. Looking at a used merida reacto and new emonda sl5. Both frames are 58cm. Reacto is cheaper and uletgra 10 speed. Emonda new 105 11 speed but more expensive

What would you suggest(i race alot also)?

Weight: 63

Height:191

Leg inseam:94

Arm length:63

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is 1k. One way to look at it is by paying that you get the new R7000 105 which is 11 speed versus the older 10 speed Ultegra (as you pointed out). The newer R7000 is arguably as good, if not better than, the older 10 speed Ultegra and you get an extra ratio to play with. And the R7000 chain and cassette have the newer Shimano protective coating which has trickled down from the newer Ultegra and Dura-Ace. 

The Reacto does have a "more aero" frameset I imagine, but with a 58 cm Trek frame you have more room to slam your stem, thereby, getting a more aero position anyway and with the bike only contributing ~30% of aero drag, you are going to be getting bigger aero gains with that position change, than you would be getting from that Reacto frame.

It depends on what you are looking for ultimately.

Edited by verandapanda

Hi,

Do you do a lot of fast descending / climbing / riding in the wet? If yes, you may want to consider a bike with disc brakes due to the modulation. In addition, wheel technology is now focused on disc rather than rim brake wheels due to the greater aero benefits that can be derived from wider wheels.

The Reacto is an aero bike, whereas the Emonda is more a lightweight climbing bike.

In late 2017 a revised Reacto was released, hence you may want to avoid the older model. If you are fairly flexible and can tolerate an aggressive riding position, the Reacto is a decent bike. 

Edited by riteshm

Hi,

Do you do a lot of fast descending / climbing / riding in the wet? If yes, you may want to consider a bike with disc brakes due to the modulation. In addition, wheel technology is now focused on disc rather than rim brake wheels due to the greater aero benefits that can be derived from wider wheels.

The Reacto is an aero bike, whereas the Emonda is more a lightweight climbing bike.

In late 2017 a revised Reacto was released, hence you may want to avoid the older model. If you are fairly flexible and can tolerate an aggressive riding position, the Reacto is a decent bike. 

Geometry on the 2 bikes is very similar with the Merida having a longer head tube. so you'd need to be more flexible on the Trek to slam the stem  :whistling:  :w00t:

If it were my money I would buy the new Emoda at that price. Its a damn fine price too and all shiny and new. Extra gear too and 105 is awesome kit anyway.

As to sizing we are the same height and 58 is my go to size.

As to weight, how the hell can one that tall weigh so damn little.

Geometry on the 2 bikes is very similar with the Merida having a longer head tube. so you'd need to be more flexible on the Trek to slam the stem  :whistling:  :w00t:

Didn't know that. I run a very aggressive Reacto, with a slammed 110 mm Zipp stem. 

Not that anything should go wrong but with new you get guarantee, something also to consider. 

If it were my money I would buy the new Emoda at that price. Its a damn fine price too and all shiny and new. Extra gear too and 105 is awesome kit anyway.

As to sizing we are the same height and 58 is my go to size.

As to weight, how the hell can one that tall weigh so damn little.

Thanks. Im junior thats why???? Edited by J davis

Geometry on the 2 bikes is very similar with the Merida having a longer head tube. so you'd need to be more flexible on the Trek to slam the stem :whistling: :w00t:

No way really????