Garmin - problems replacing HRM soft strap

LionelBrink

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is trying to replace their Garmin HRM soft strap.  I tried NavWorld (who for the record have been extremely professional & helpful) but sensed there was an issue so reached out to Garmin SA by phone & mail.  Seems the Soft Strap is no longer available for purchase according to email response from Ronald at Garmin SA on 2 Aug 2019 & was informed I had to replace this with the Dual HRM & Strap package.

I have previously been able to replace the HRM straps - this makes senses as this is an item that does wear out - now I have to buy the entire HRM module & strap - at almost double the price?  Whilst extreme, that's the equivalent of being told to replace your bike because your chain has worn out.  Needless to say I do not understand how Garmin can snub its customers like this - I also noted that the Edge combo boxes still include the Premium HRM Soft Strap as a listed inclusion on both SA & USA Garmin websites, with no warning that you cannot replace the strap alone.  Oh yes, the strap alone was still shown as "In Stock" on the Garmin SA website until I inquired about it.

I see Polar still sells straps only as "accessories" - assume Wahoo does the same (not sure about other manufacturers).  Does anyone have a logical explanation other then the usual "company trying to rip-off the customer for profit"?  Notwithstanding, what are your recommendations on GPS cycling computers from an alternate supplier?

Regards

You can buy them on Amazon so they are talking rubbish. I need to replace mine soon but I'm gonna replace mine with a arm based schosche rhythm +

My wahoo strap broke by the metal clips.... And was not going to pay R400 for a new strap from wahoo.

So bought the strap on aliexpress for R50 , working perfectly

My wahoo strap broke by the metal clips.... And was not going to pay R400 for a new strap from wahoo.

So bought the strap on aliexpress for R50 , working perfectly

Is it really working perfectly? Or are u just getting a hr reading on your device? I think not all hr straps are equal

Is it really working perfectly? Or are u just getting a hr reading on your device? I think not all hr straps are equal

I just use it for HR reading connected to a wahoo bolt . Never knew a HR monitor strap does anything else besides HR reading . Thought all the magic happens inside the unit itself , in my case a Tickr

Get a polar strap pro replacement strap (sportsmans warehouse) . Cheaper and lasts a lot longer

Get a polar strap pro replacement strap (sportsmans warehouse) . Cheaper and lasts a lot longer

Does the Garmin unit clip into the polar strap?

I just use it for HR reading connected to a wahoo bolt . Never knew a HR monitor strap does anything else besides HR reading . Thought all the magic happens inside the unit itself , in my case a Tickr

Think of a dstv set up. The dish gets the signal, the decoder processes this. Sh1ty dish will not get great signal, so you picture will never be great. Same applies to the hr strap and monitor.

Now I'm not saying your aliexpress strap doesn't work, but what if it doesn't pick up every tenth heart beat. So when you maxing out at an hr of 180, but your hr unit is only receiving 162 beats per min, you may think you are still in a position to put the hammer down, the potential side effects could be significant

Yes, I use a polar strap for both my garmin and wahoo ticker. Just make sure you purchase the correct strap, some polar units clip on to the strap differently

@ Stretch. I can tell you that the Polar H10 strap does NOT fit. Clip spacing is different. Other Polar units I don't know about.

FWIW, I use a Polar H10 with my Garmin Edge. It works better than the Garmin HRM in that it is more sensitive and picks up signal better, especially in the first ten or fifteen minutes. I also like the fact that it can connect simultaneously to multiple receivers. Useful when I'm on an IDT using Rouvy for example. Can link to both Rouvy (on iPad) and Polar app on phone or otherwise Garmin Edge for feeding through to Vitality

The new generation needs a little trim around the metal clips, but it works 100%

Just an update: tested the Garmin HRM unit (ANT+ only) with a Polar Pro chest strap (used with an H7 unit - clips fitted perfectly). To test I wore both straps & then swopped the HRM module between straps: I could see any deviation in heart rate - but could not run these together for a "true comparison" as I only have 1 Garmin HRM module.   

Polar straps are approx R650 at Sportsmans, R550 at TakeaLot - and, <sarcasm> oh, you do not need to buy the entire HRM module with these <\sarcasm>.  Chatting to club members, a few also use the Wahoo (Tickr) chest strap with a Garmin GPS head unit - around R1000 from Bike Mob, which includes a Bluetooth & ANT+ module - yes the new Garmin unit is also BT & ANT+ - but is 50% more expensive, and Wahoo allows you to buy chest straps individually without having to buy a new module each time! 

I am still trying to connect with Garmin USA to determine if this is global or limited to SA - but frankly the lack of effort & experience of local "support" has left me not keen on exploring this any further.  Luckily a hubber let me know of a (new) chest strap through the classifieds - this should buy me some time (approx 2 years as per last strap) so that I can replace the GPS head unit & bike sensors from a company who are not so keen to rip me off.

All the more reason to ditch Garmon and get a wahoo.

the GPS head units are more reliable

the idt seems to be on par with neo now

but the whole "ecosystem" just seems to play much more nicely with zwift.

with my garmin head unit connected to the NEO and neo to zwift I seem to get intermittent power drop outs. Remove the garmin from the equation and everything plays nicely. No such troubles with the wahoo.

Come on wahoo. Get that Vitality connection working

Archived