Gear Problem

Nolane

Hi Hubbers,

I hope someone can help me here. My sons bike is giving me some headaches with the gears and the dealer where i bought it cant seem to help me.

So the chain broke so I took it in to get a new one but every time you change gears from the small chain ring to the middle chain ring it is as if it doesn't release the chain ( See Pic) so I think that it has been doing this for some time and this caused the chain to snap.

Also the bike did not do 300km since I bought it new.

post-28728-0-66721700-1565171165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nolane

It's difficult to tell from the photo as the problem appears to be with chain rings / front derailleur, but what do you mean by it doesn't release it?

Is the chain getting stuck on the small chain ring?

this would normally happen in the mud and rain with old chain, called chain suck. with a new chain, are you sure you have the right speed chain for the amount of gears, that being a 12 speed chain will be a lot narrower than a 10 speed ..??

k. only realised now OP meant shifting from the front small to front mid chainring. I honesly think the chain is too short...it was cut on the smallest granny ring in front...and as soon as you shift to mid ring it all binds up....

look at where the rear derailleur...it shouldn't even be at that position cross chaining the big front cog and big rear cog.

whoever installed the new chain does not know how to properly set chain length on a 3x system imo, that is why the problem only started after the new chain was added

Edited by morneS555

Thats a chainring problem - chain is wrapping up from behind like it does with chainsuck. Check the middle ring isnt bent as well as the teeth wear and the FD alignment.

Oh! and get another bike shop to service your bike - any self respecting bike mechanic would have sorted that problem

k. only realised now OP meant shifting from the front small to front mid chainring. I honesly think the chain is too short...it was cut on the smallest granny ring in front...and as soon as you shift to mid ring it all binds up....

look at where the rear derailleur...it shouldn't even be at that position cross chaining the big front cog and big rear cog.

whoever installed the new chain does not know how to properly set chain length on a 3x system imo, that is why the problem only started after the new chain was added

Chain is wrapped up on the middle ring thats why the RD is in that position

Chain is wrapped up on the middle ring thats why the RD is in that position

I get it but thats also possible imo if the the chain is too short and the motion of pushing the chain off the front ring to the next seizes it all up in-situ due to no more available chain length?

it all looks relatively new.  

anyway...Agree. I'd take it back to the store (a different one) if you are uncomfortable around bike workings and tools.

Edited by morneS555

I agree bike shop should sort it out.

Chain is catching on the front chain ring. Turn the bike upside down and gentling pedal in the forward direction, you should be able to see how it catches. There could be a bent tooth, bent chain or chain too narrow. I don't think the chain rings would be worn on a new bike. If the chain rings are worn, it would look like the chainring teeth are too long and catching the chain.

I will have a look at it today. I will try to take it to another shop as I replaced the chain last week and been back to the shop 3 times after that and they tell me there is nothing they can do for me.

I see you're also in PTA, I'm away this weekend but I'am willing to sort it out for you.

The bike shop you bought the bike at seems to not know too much about cycling related things  :whistling:

Maybe they have other qualities  :clap:

Where in PTA are you based so that I can suggest some other shops in your area?

Yes I think the shop must stick to selling fishing gear and kitchen appliances

I am in the Northern side of Pretoria.

Thanks

I will have a look at it today. I will try to take it to another shop as I replaced the chain last week and been back to the shop 3 times after that and they tell me there is nothing they can do for me.

Which tjop... sorry I mean shop