Thule bike rack to VW Tiguan connection issue

Craig Foot

Hi, I hope I can get a good answer here:

I have a Tiguan with the special towbar plug adaptor, and have had it working with a Thule bike rack. I now get a right light fault and even with a new Thule unit, I still get the same error message on my dash. The bike rack right light, indicator etc don’t work but the brake light does. Left hand all perfect.

VW say it is the bike rack and when I called Thule, they seemed unsure but kindly offered to have a look.

Has anybody had a similar experience and what was the problem/solution.

Thanks a mil in advance

Craig

best thing to do is either get Thule to check the rack or test it on another car to rule out the rack.

Have you had anything else plugged into the Tiguan so that you can verify the Tiguan is not the problem?

best thing to do is either get Thule to check the rack or test it on another car to rule out the rack.

Have you had anything else plugged into the Tiguan so that you can verify the Tiguan is not the problem?

Thanks Ouzo

Haven’t had anything else plugged in, will do so. Thanks for the reply!

I also think pop in to a Vw dealer ship and they connect to computer and should point a fault. Everything so easy nowadays with computer diagnostics.

Everything so easy nowadays with computer diagnostics.

For most manufacturers and problems perhaps.

Took a year and 3 different dealerships to sort out (fingers crossed) a problem on my current vehicle.

Remember having a towbar issue with a Chev which required many visits to the dealership to diagnose the problem too.

I do also think that the ability of the technician plays a big role.

Hi, i had a friend with a similar issue. his problem was the adapter. somehow it had a break in it. The moulded part. if i remember correctly its a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter. i googled the adapter and checked the wiring myself. i then tested the adapter with a multimeter and found the problem. hope this make sense. also a vw. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ASVA_enZA753ZA753&biw=1600&bih=789&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=vs5SXdGtAoXagwf9_ov4AQ&q=13+pin+towbar+socket+to+7+pin+trailer+plug+adaptor+south+africa+wiring&oq=13+pin+towbar+socket+to+7+pin+trailer+plug+adaptor+south+africa+wiring&gs_l=img.12...4342.6033..8853...0.0..0.323.1858.2-6j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.iC12kJmEQZs&ved=0ahUKEwjRhI3ZjIDkAhUF7eAKHX3_Ah8Q4dUDCAY#imgrc=D7O4ZsvhzVuwbM:

Edited by Cappi

another thing it could be

does the Tig have LED tail lights ?

these often dont play well with non led lights plugged into trailer socket (and vice versa)

Good question Ouzo, I will have to ask and will check this out

Hi, i had a friend with a similar issue. his problem was the adapter. somehow it had a break in it. The moulded part. if i remember correctly its a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter. i googled the adapter and checked the wiring myself. i then tested the adapter with a multimeter and found the problem. hope this make sense. also a vw. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ASVA_enZA753ZA753&biw=1600&bih=789&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=vs5SXdGtAoXagwf9_ov4AQ&q=13+pin+towbar+socket+to+7+pin+trailer+plug+adaptor+south+africa+wiring&oq=13+pin+towbar+socket+to+7+pin+trailer+plug+adaptor+south+africa+wiring&gs_l=img.12...4342.6033..8853...0.0..0.323.1858.2-6j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.iC12kJmEQZs&ved=0ahUKEwjRhI3ZjIDkAhUF7eAKHX3_Ah8Q4dUDCAY#imgrc=D7O4ZsvhzVuwbM:

Thanks Cappi

Will check this out as it is a 13 to 7 pin - will got to an auto electrician, no ways can I figure out wiring stuff

Thanks Cappi

Will check this out as it is a 13 to 7 pin - will got to an auto electrician, no ways can I figure out wiring stuff

see if you can borrow an adapter from someone. Any European car with a factory approved towbar should have the 13-7 pin adapter, so you dont need to find another VW owner to test.

Also take a very small flat screwdriver and slip in between the male pins on both sides of the plug just to split them open ever so slightly more and thus have a tighter connection.

This solved my issue after many hours wasting my time redoing the wiring.

I've got one of those adapter things at home, it came with my Audi so should work on your VW. You're welcome to check to test it between your bike rack and car....

You buy the adapter at your local VW dealer. R80 or something.

I'd like to see that quote, most places will charge you around R600