Cape Epic Route 2020

Lincoln

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this. They can start in saaaaaaaaaay Knysna!

HAve stage one around the HArkerville and Garden Route trails.

Stage two could be in lets saaaaaaaaaaay Mossel Bay area.

Stage 3 somewhere around Riversdal.

Stage 4 around saaaaaaaaaaaaaay Swellendam

By Stage7 they back at Val De Vie!

ha ha ha ha, now that would be EPIC

Wooooowwww!

Excited about the route for Cape Epic 2020!

Need to double the training to get prepared for the race,... check our presentation video here:

In Spanish but pretty straight forward... and some nice drone footage too. Tell us if you like it! Thanks.

I like this. They can start in saaaaaaaaaay Knysna!

HAve stage one around the HArkerville and Garden Route trails.

Stage two could be in lets saaaaaaaaaaay Mossel Bay area.

Stage 3 somewhere around Riversdal.

Stage 4 around saaaaaaaaaaaaaay Swellendam

By Stage7 they back at Val De Vie!

So that would more or less be like earlier versions of TransCape... that was in many ways based on earlier Epic routes?

Question for the local riders or for riders who know the Cape Epic 2020 tracks ...

Would you go with or without a dropper post?

Thanks!

You will only find it necessary on the long descent of the wagon trail on stage 2 into tulbagh.

the rest of the trails I've never found myself thinking "maybe I should have fitted a dropper"

That wagon trail descent is treacherous. Very narrow loose stones and very rocky.

I would also opt for 2.35 to 2.4 tyres for the 2020 Cape epic. Lots of sand next year. Sharpen up on your sense of humour too. Trust me, you will need it

That wagon trail descent is treacherous. Very narrow loose stones and very rocky.

I would also opt for 2.35 to 2.4 tyres for the 2020 Cape epic. Lots of sand next year. Sharpen up on your sense of humour too. Trust me, you will need it

Thanks a lot!

Wasn’t it rocky and puncture prone?

I was thinking in wearing Ikon 29x2.35 tires with Double Down (reinforces casing and more rubber for extra protection),... but they weight almost a kilo per tire!

Apart from weight, another drawback of those DD tires is that they are difficult to fit in (and take out) the rim, if needed, to fit a tube in case of puncture....

Edited by ikerarri

Thanks a lot!

Wasn’t it rocky and puncture prone?

I was thinking in wearing Ikon 29x2.35 tires with Double Down (reinforces casing and more rubber for extra protection),... but they weight almost a kilo per tire!

The eco casing with triple compound is enough. You don't want the heaviest tyres for the 2020 route. High volume fast rolling tread is perfect. Don't run pressure lower than 1.4bar in the 2.35. If you do then use a foam liner or procore

The eco casing with triple compound is enough. You don't want the heaviest tyres for the 2020 route. High volume fast rolling tread is perfect. Don't run pressure lower than 1.4bar in the 2.35. If you do then use a foam liner or procore

And why do you recommend high volume? My normal choice of tires for such races is Ardent Race 29x2.2 EXO 3C front and Ikon 29x2.2 EXO 3C rear,... but maybe should I look to higher volume version? Aren’t they more easy to puncture? 6 months to test and check.

Thanks a lot for your valuable information. [emoji119]

The course is going to be very sandy with a lot of lose rock about.

The higher volume tyres will provide more comfort through a slightly lower air pressure and better floatation through the sand

• 4 months later...

The course is going to be very sandy with a lot of lose rock about.

The higher volume tyres will provide more comfort through a slightly lower air pressure and better floatation through the sand

Hi DieselInDust!

Nerves picking up as the date for the race approaches,....

Doubt about tyre choice....

Front I have it clear, Ardent Race 29x2.35 with EXO

Rear is where I am more doubtful, ... Ikon but in what size? 2.2 or 2.35?

2.2 is my regular choice and I am a bit concern on such high volume tyre of the 2.35 as a rear tyre.... but maybe the 2020 course deserves it. What’s your opinion? Will you be riding the Cape Epic?

Edited by ikerarri

Hi DieselInDust!

2.2 is my regular choice and I am a bit concern on such high volume tyre of the 2.35 as a rear tyre.... but maybe the 2020 course deserves it. What’s your opinion? Will you be riding the Cape Epic?

You won’t need a Ardent in front. From my experience Ardent floats / glide on sand on hard. It is best for slightly wetter stuff.

I would do the wides Sugauro front and ikon or Sugauro rear.

For ikon. Get the widest that your frame can handle, especially for sand

Hi DieselInDust!

I think the Ardent Race is a great choice for epic for the front and is relatively robust considering

I too would go with 2.35 Ikon rear 

great combo IMO!

I think the Ardent Race is a great choice for epic for the front and is relatively robust considering

I too would go with 2.35 Ikon rear 

great combo IMO!

I found my Ardent "float" on and and nearly lost the front on many corners.

Epic route is going to be DRY and sandy