Cape Epic Route 2020

Lincoln

I found my Ardent "float" on and and nearly lost the front on many corners.

Epic route is going to be DRY and sandy

Just to clarify that I did not meant Ardent,... but Ardent Race (which is like a hybrid between the Ardent and the Ikon).

Thanks to all for your replies and valuable information!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify that I did not meant Ardent,... but Ardent Race (which is like a hybrid between the Ardent and the Ikon).

Thanks to all for your replies and valuable information!

It still has the same side knob profile and that is when it lets go in the corner

Looking at the "race" I think it will float even more. but that is just my opinion

Why do you want such an aggressive Tyre for the Epic?

It still has the same side knob profile and that is when it lets go in the corner

Looking at the "race" I think it will float even more. but that is just my opinion

Why do you want such an aggressive Tyre for the Epic?

Ardent Race gives me a little bit more confidence than the IKON as a front tyre.

And still rolls well.

My doubt was mainly in the size of the tyres,... as I am not used to 2.35 ... 

Thanks for all your info!

Ardent Race gives me a little bit more confidence than the IKON as a front tyre.

And still rolls well.

Two tyres to NEVER put on the front

X-mark

and 

Ikon

It you want a tyre combo that will work then simply use the Specialized range. Ground Control front and Fast Track rear.

No man don't be silly. You just want to sell more tyre plugs nuh? :)

And still rolls well.

another advantage to high volume tyres for sandy courses is you can fit a lot more sealant in them to combat thorns!!! You really do want the extra cushionon the front wheel though. sharp edged rocks will be aplenty as will thorns  and all other kinds of trail obstacles that a slice of your tyres.

Pick your favourite tyre and get the 2.35-2.4 version of it

another advantage to high volume tyres for sandy courses is you can fit a lot more sealant in them to combat thorns!!! You really do want the extra cushionon the front wheel though. sharp edged rocks will be aplenty as will thorns and all other kinds of trail obstacles that a slice of your tyres.

[emoji119]

[emoji108]

Superb!

I used ikon 2.35 rear and nobby nic snakeskin 2.35 front last year .Pressures were 1.8 bar rear and slightly less front .I found it perfect in all conditions .I weigh 100kg and never had a front tire slip away .For climbing the ikon really has plenty grip and for switchbacks and turns  the Nobby nic grips in all conditions .If i had to make a change ,i would put a vittorio barzo in front  .The nobby nic has a softer compound rubber that grips in soft and hard conditions .This is my go to tire choice for all stage races so far and they have been perfect imo 

Edited by arendoog

What DID said.....

another advantage to high volume tyres for sandy courses is you can fit a lot more sealant in them to combat thorns!!! You really do want the extra cushionon the front wheel though. sharp edged rocks will be aplenty as will thorns  and all other kinds of trail obstacles that a slice of your tyres.

I used ikon 2.35 rear and nobby nic snakeskin 2.35 front last year .Pressures were 1.8 bar rear and slightly less front .I found it perfect in all conditions .I weigh 100kg and never had a front tire slip away .For climbing the ikon really has plenty grip and for switchbacks and turns  the Nobby nic grips in all conditions .If i had to make a change ,i would put a vittorio barzo in front  .The nobby nic has a softer compound rubber that grips in soft and hard conditions .This is my go to tire choice for all stage races so far and they have been perfect imo 

This will also work well.

Wider rims are better and they do make a difference to the profile so that the pressures can be lower .I used Stan,s arch MK3,s with 26mm inner width .And yes, they do have cracks at the spoke rim attachments ,but were solid all the way 

Support that. But the Grid versions for Epic. I ride quite aggressively and they served me very well. We didn't have a single tyre problem during Atta, Tankwa and Epic.

Wide rims are a big improvement for low pressure stability as well. And add a foam strip to the rear wheel so you can limb home without f'ing up your rim should the tyre be destroyed. You should be able to avoid side wall cuts in your front wheel by conscious line choice but the rear remains vulnerable.

Enjoy!

It you want a tyre combo that will work then simply use the Specialized range. Ground Control front and Fast Track rear.

Wider rims are better and they do make a difference to the profile so that the pressures can be lower .I used Stan,s arch MK3,s with 26mm inner width .And yes, they do have cracks at the spoke rim attachments ,but were solid all the way 

Same here, on rim 3 and I am not going to get them again warranty or not

Good call Imo on the 2.35, Ikerarri. From what Ive seen, only the potential stage winners hammer the descents at max pace. (Front 4 or 6). The GC bunch are more conservative, and outside the top 20 even more so. Choosimg priotiry should be: puncture resistance, side wall protection, comfort, low rolling resistance, climbing traction, sand traction, cornering traction.