Chain too short?

Piernas Flacas

Hey guys -

My derailleur hanger broke this morning. It was my first ride with my brand new 1 x 11 setup. I wasn't even shifting to the largest sprocket when it broke. I was probably shifting up to the 7th or 8th or maybe 9th but not higher.

Fortunately I was climbing and although the derailleur got caught between the spokes no other damage was done.

I managed to get a new hanger at Cajees for the modicum price of R350.00. So, I've put everything back again and just want to make sure the chain length is right. When I installed the new chain 2 days ago I only removed a male link, which was missing the roller so I couldn't use it with the quick link, plus it correspondent female link.

So, my chain is 115 links long plus the quick link which makes it 116. Is the chain too short? Herewith attached photos with the chain on the smallest and largest sprockets.

Any other reason why the hanger broke? Metal fatigue maybe? The bike is 5 years old.

Thanks!

P.S. And I would like to thank Dave Marshall for his advice this morning when I pushed my bike all the way to his workshop.

post-2387-0-93299500-1568453664_thumb.jpg

post-2387-0-05850600-1568453685_thumb.jpg

Edited by Piernas Flacas

If that's a hardtail is probably fine. But if it is a dual suspension bike the chain is too short. As your bike cycles through it's suspension you need space for "chain growth", and from the looks of it that rear derailleur is at it's limit already.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Something about the installation of that RD doesn't look kosher. Either the stop is in the wrong place or the B screw is too far out.

Get that right and your problem will be mostly solved.

Bingo! It was the B screw. Good eye! Thanks, man!