Power L/R Balance

Good day fellow hubbers,

What would constitute a "normal" L/R balance when measuring power during a ride?

Mine has gradually declined from 52% / 48% to 58% / 42%

Do these still fall within normal boundaries or is it something that I should look at rectifying?

Check bike set up / body posture / tight muscles.

L/R data will drift based on duration or intensity of riding.

Depending on the PM you are using check that both left and right pedals have the same crank lengths set. we have found that by having different crank lengths this does affect the L/R data.

Also check PM firmware updates first.

It would be unlikely that L/R will shift this much if bike set up has not changed or body posture etc.

sounds bit out of bounds ... I would just post my normal response , guess your saddle is to high and you shifting to one side of the bike to compensate.   

52-48 is within normal bounds, but I still think there has to be a reason for it being off. Whether that affects overall performance, it's hard to tell. 

I've been training with a power meter for 3 years now and when I am well-rested, had a good physio/massage session before, I can get it to 50-50 on long rides. Then, after a few hard days, lack of stretching/rolling etc it starts deteriorating and at 53-47 I start getting issues (sore muscles etc.) and book another physio session. Think about it this way, if you're pushing 250w, 53-47 effectively means that the left leg is pushing 132w and the other leg is only pushing 118w...that's quite a difference!

In a normal slightly disfunctional state, I'm reasonably happy with 52-48.

The imbalance could be physical, or set-up related or both. I'd say anything beyond 3% should be looked at.

L/R imbalance will be affected by many many things.

In what power zone does it start to deteriorate?

After how many minutes or hours of riding?

What is your fatigue level when you notice this? 

are you well hydrated?

Have you slept well and eaten well?

Good day fellow hubbers,

What would constitute a "normal" L/R balance when measuring power during a ride?

Mine has gradually declined from 52% / 48% to 58% / 42%

Do these still fall within normal boundaries or is it something that I should look at rectifying?

With myself it all depends what kind of riding I am doing - for general steady tempo it can vary between 46 - 54 to 50 - 50.

For hard climbing anything between 48 - 52 to 52 - 48.

For hectic intervals I am surprisingly steady between 49 - 51 to 51 - 49 (all LH vs RH).

According to my coach 42 - 58 is too far out of the norm as the one side works much harder than the other and will deplete your energy reserves during a long ride.

Check your set-up first as variations in leg length & strength etc. (general genetics differences) can play a role and/or consult a Biokinetisist.

L/R imbalance will be affected by many many things.

In what power zone does it start to deteriorate?

After how many minutes or hours of riding?

What is your fatigue level when you notice this? 

are you well hydrated?

Have you slept well and eaten well?

this is the best answer here so far as this is where the tell tale will be. Also don't pay to much attention to L/R balance, its really not that important and not a true reading. 

this is the best answer here so far as this is where the tell tale will be. Also don't pay to much attention to L/R balance, its really not that important and not a true reading.

This is where I was going with the L/R balance concept. I haven't found any studies that shows it to be an issue of concern.