Wend Chain wax

W@nted

Is there any local feedback regarding wend chain wax? I have ordered some to try.

I normally use smoove, but during saturdays race at van gaalens, the dusty conditions dried out my bikes chain within 40km. So I want to try something new.

wax chain lube is pretty much all the same. The better products fill n the gaps ad solidify better.

I make my own with oil I source for the purpose. Waaaay cheaper than the stuff the LBS sells

Thanks. How do the wax products last in dusty conditions? Do you then take off and dip your chains in the molten wax?

I use a mix of 30% xylene 40% wax and 30% oil.

the xylene allows for reapplication but the initial application is a hot mix dip. Melt the wax and oil on an electric stove. no xylene at this stage.

Once its all liquid mix it with a whisk and then dip on a wire gauge ( strainer with the bottom flattened to rest the chain on. 

Then I let it all cool. Once the wax starts crystalising, remove the chain and reheat adding the xylene. mix again and allow to cool before decanting. It should flow ok while its warm ish. I decant into old squirt lube bottles I received in goodies bags and prize packets

Wow. This opens a whole new world of chain waxing????. Thanks!

Have you been able to measure the effect of chain waxing on chain wear? Better or worse than traditional chain lubes?

Wow. This opens a whole new world of chain waxing. Thanks!

Have you been able to measure the effect of chain waxing on chain wear? Better or worse than traditional chain lubes?

No idea unfortunately. But it feels dry to the touch, which makes me think it will trap less dirt than the traditional lubes...

Wow. This opens a whole new world of chain waxing. Thanks!

No not really but I can measure the effect on my wallet!!

With m MTB I lube it every second or third ride and there's still wax inside. I clean with a rag sprayed with some pinkstuff/namgear chain cleaner.

Once a week I run it through the chain bath and every 1000km it goes back into the pot for a de-re-waxing-soak.

XX1 chain has 6700km on it now and its aroun 0.25-0.3% wear. Looks to be heading for 8000km before replacement so about a full years usage.

Road chains seem to last about 8000km as well which is also about a years usage as well.

Been using my own lube through the winter and it holds up very well even after a proper dunking. nothing stops sand sticking to the chain though....

No not really but I can measure the effect on my wallet!!

With m MTB I lube it every second or third ride and there's still wax inside. I clean with a rag sprayed with some pinkstuff/namgear chain cleaner.

Once a week I run it through the chain bath and every 1000km it goes back into the pot for a de-re-waxing-soak.

XX1 chain has 6700km on it now and its aroun 0.25-0.3% wear. Looks to be heading for 8000km before replacement so about a full years usage.

Road chains seem to last about 8000km as well which is also about a years usage as well.

Been using my own lube through the winter and it holds up very well even after a proper dunking. nothing stops sand sticking to the chain though....

That is impressive mileage. I will compare wax and lube using a new gx eagle chain. I managed 2700km on my last gx eagle chain using only smoove (.75 wear limit).

Will give feedback here.

I use a mix of 30% xylene 40% wax and 30% oil.

the xylene allows for reapplication but the initial application is a hot mix dip. Melt the wax and oil on an electric stove. no xylene at this stage.

Once its all liquid mix it with a whisk and then dip on a wire gauge ( strainer with the bottom flattened to rest the chain on.

Then I let it all cool. Once the wax starts crystalising, remove the chain and reheat adding the xylene. mix again and allow to cool before decanting. It should flow ok while its warm ish. I decant into old squirt lube bottles I received in goodies bags and prize packets

If I may ask what oil do you use in the mixture

Edited by Block

Is there any local feedback regarding wend chain wax? I have ordered some to try.

I normally use smoove, but during saturdays race at van gaalens, the dusty conditions dried out my bikes chain within 40km. So I want to try something new.

Is this the wax that comes in all sorts of colours and looks like a stick of deodorant?

I can't believe that the recommended way of application would do anything other than make your chain look an interesting colour and that's about it. There is no way, as far as I can see, that this mode of application would get into the places where the friction is greatest...between the plates and the rollers.

Is this the wax that comes in all sorts of colours and looks like a stick of deodorant?

I can't believe that the recommended way of application would do anything other than make your chain look an interesting colour and that's about it. There is no way, as far as I can see, that this mode of application would get into the places where the friction is greatest...between the plates and the rollers.

That’s the one yes. I am going to try the method of applying some of the cleaner afterwards which is suppose to make the wax get into the rollers. I am a bit sceptic as well, but will try it and give honest feedback here.

Dusty conditions do make the chain look dry, but it's only dry on the outside, the lube is still inside.

Smoove is good enough to make the chain on a 1x last about 5000 km, which is good.

This is without degreasing or any form oh heat treatments.

Trying to squeeze more than that out of a chain is actually pointless because by 5000 km you need to change the chain ring if it is alu. New chain ring + New Chain.

Degreasing actually removes the special oil which is installed at the factory and shortens the chains life.

The Method used by DieselnDust works well because the heat treatment he does gets the oil inside the chain where it is needed. You could also use Smoove to do the Heat Treatment but it would be expensive. I've used other oils + heat treatment and it works well. Doing the heat treatment is such a PITA unfortunately. Much easier to just squeeze the bottle.

If I may ask what oil do you use in the mixture

I've tried a few. The psraffinic oils blend in nicely. Currently using a pharmaceutical grade from Shell called Ondina. You don't need a special oil. The operating temperature is low and the pressure isn't all that high. Gear oils work nicely. I had the pharmaceutical grade left over from another project