SilverbackLab Stratos AL range thoughts?

Anybody else have problems with dirt getting into the main pivot and pivot bearings?  The bike keeps on making 'cracking' noises. Every week I have to disassemble the pivot and clean it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to heavy for the long rides ? 

I did the Free State Cycle tour (105km) last year on my Stratos AL5, with slicks.  Did a average of more than 30km/h.  I can't say that the weight was ever any sort of a problem.

Anybody else have problems with dirt getting into the main pivot and pivot bearings? The bike keeps on making 'cracking' noises. Every week I have to disassemble the pivot and clean it.

Never had that problem, but I was on the carbon version.

Pull apart, degrease, apply thing layers of grease and put back together. Avoid high pressure washers. Rode the bike for months like that and no issues.

Anybody else have problems with dirt getting into the main pivot and pivot bearings?  The bike keeps on making 'cracking' noises. Every week I have to disassemble the pivot and clean it.

I have had that as well that was sorted out during the first service at Bike Addict.

I do however notice that the headset bearings also like to become noisy after a bit. Spoke to someone who also owns a Silverback and he replaced his headset bearings with better quality bearings and that was the end of his headset noises.

I have had that as well that was sorted out during the first service at Bike Addict.

I do however notice that the headset bearings also like to become noisy after a bit. Spoke to someone who also owns a Silverback and he replaced his headset bearings with better quality bearings and that was the end of his headset noises.

What did they find was the problem with the pivot?  My head set bearings is still fine.

• 6 months later...

What did they find was the problem with the pivot?  My head set bearings is still fine.

Out of interest, what size is the rear shock on the AL series?

210x47.5 or 190x42 or ?

Out of interest, what size is the rear shock on the AL series?

210x47.5 or 190x42 or ?

I don't know, you can contact Silverback SA.  They will assist with the size of the rear shock.

I got my Stratos AL 1 frame this weekend after my top tube on my Sido cracked. Most of the parts were a straight swap over except for the rear hub and chain ring, the 34T oval chainring touches the rear swing arm so I had to go back to the standard round chainring. I also upgraded the travel on my Reba from 100mm to 120mm while all of this was done.

There is definitely an improvement on the new frame. It is much more responsive than the Sido and it handled everything I threw at it over the weekend from rocky trails to big drops. Where my Sido's suspension would've bottomed out front and back on some sections, the Stratos handled it just fine. The new POP design is great and makes up for not having an oval chainring on the climbs.

The only con so far is that I will have to get a smaller water bottle or get used to only being able to take the water bottle out of the cage from one side because of the cross bar from the top tube to the down tube

c858eaffe37ede6d1ac7371084032472.jpg

Hi guys, i slight bit off topic but a few quick questions......

The Sesta range, race, pro and so on, they are older i know, but they carbon, i am thinking of a sesta for my wife as she prefers this kind of geo. So what are the differences between the sesta race and pro. The ones i see are black and yellow [pro] then black and red [race].

Do they both weigh the same, is it only differences in forks, gears.

Lastly, some websites claim weight on sesta carbons at under 11kg, some at just under 13kg, why the difference, what am i missing? I fully understand sesta's are marathon, old schoool geo but some people prefer this. 

They are scarce to find, in small, and not cheap, from 30k up to 45k brand new, if you can find brand new. Maybe some of you have more info please.

I got my Stratos AL 1 frame this weekend after my top tube on my Sido cracked. Most of the parts were a straight swap over except for the rear hub and chain ring, the 34T oval chainring touches the rear swing arm so I had to go back to the standard round chainring. I also upgraded the travel on my Reba from 100mm to 120mm while all of this was done.

There is definitely an improvement on the new frame. It is much more responsive than the Sido and it handled everything I threw at it over the weekend from rocky trails to big drops. Where my Sido's suspension would've bottomed out front and back on some sections, the Stratos handled it just fine. The new POP design is great and makes up for not having an oval chainring on the climbs.

The only con so far is that I will have to get a smaller water bottle or get used to only being able to take the water bottle out of the cage from one side because of the cross bar from the top tube to the down tube

c858eaffe37ede6d1ac7371084032472.jpg

The Lyne Components Holy rail should be able to slide that bottle a little bit further down and add a couple of their other cool bits and pieces from the looks of it. 

Side exit holder will.be cheapest solution or the lyne holyrail at around R800

Is the stratos a lighter frame and easier to throw around

Side exit holder will.be cheapest solution or the lyne holyrail at around R800

Is the stratos a lighter frame and easier to throw around

Side entry won't make a difference here. The bottle is simply too long. Odd that they installed the bottle bosses that high.

Is high up considering that small area

Guess smaller bottle it is, take tiny sips lol

It is that high up to enable you to add a second bottle behind it on the seat tube.