Aluminium weld for a hairline crack on chainstay

edkin

OK. so I went to Link because they were closest to me. The guy takes one look at the chain stay and says "No problem. I'll add a little gusset for strengthening Purposes" .

It took them a day. Here are some pics

awesome ... could I ask what they charged you for the works?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question while the people who know a bit about welding are still around on this post , if you have an aluminium frame with carbon seat stays with a crack in the aluminium , would the welding repair and "heat treatment" cause damage to the carbon ?

OK. so I went to Link because they were closest to me. The guy takes one look at the chain stay and says "No problem. I'll add a little gusset for strengthening Purposes" .

It took them a day. Here are some pics

Your weakest area will be where the paint went brown,  normally the frame re-cracks just next to the weld.  If a gusset was added that would mean more heat.  Hopefully they baked the swingarm in an oven and followed a good cooling protocol - otherwise you might have trouble quite soon.  It is very important to de-stress the weld with heating the whole frame - otherwise the areas next to the weld is going to be weaker than before.

Judging by the discoloration of just a small section they didn't preheat or post-weld stress relieve this weld, so Goosebay is on point. You're probably going to see a crack at the edge of the welded section, what's called the Heat Affected Zone (HAZ).

Also, never heard of a pencil grinder dudes? Neaten that **** up.

Aluminium alloy welding is a complex thing to get right and much depends upon exactly what the alloy is to start with. There are various types of aluminium alloys and how they handle heat pr should be heat treated (some can't be) is very different. Those that can be welded and heat treated need to go through a few steps for it to be done properly... otherwise the material will be at risk of structural failure when stressed repeatedly. Judging by the quality of the welding and what you paid for it, I very much doubt whether what you have is fit for purpose.

A sudden structural failure at speed on a key component like a chain stay can lead to very serious injury. If it was me and I couldn't find a replacement swing arm either new or in good used condition (there is a Ghost agent in Honeydew, Johannesburg), I would simply scrap the bike. Some things in life just aren't worth it.

Edited by MudLark

I think I may have found the cause of the chainstay crack. The shaft that goes through the bearing was slightly too large to go the the inner race without a lot of effort, subsequently made worse by having to hammer the shaft out of the race. 

The bearing was replaced but because it was difficult to get in the hammer was again applied subsequently damging the new bearing which soon siezed up. After mobility was lost the chainstay was left to take the strain causing the crack.

This my theory. Hope I'm right. Time will tell.

post-30631-0-23979300-1573206265_thumb.jpg

post-30631-0-11339700-1573206284_thumb.jpg

Before

post-30631-0-57671700-1573206301_thumb.jpg

After machining

Just for future reference, the guy I recommended above repaired these. I told you he was the best!

Edited by Andreas_187