Buying bike for wife

H de Beer

I built up a bike for my wife about two years ago.  Nice frame and fork, XT brakes and drive train, 1x, etc.  If I recall correctly we've done about three family rides (the kids I I do more rides) and one ride just the two of us.  Total of maybe 25km.  TOTAL.  

My brother in law has put more mileage on it in two rides that I've taken him on.  

Overall a total waste of money, BUT its stopped her moaning that she's the only one in the family that doesn't have a bike, and she likes that I built it for her, so I guess it's not all bad.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about buying girl wives/girlfriends bikes. I dated a girl who was almost a pro. She had around 5 bikes that she had received from sponsors over the years. She offered to sell me one to get me into cycling (despite having received them all for free).

I declined as I had no interest in cycling back then. 

it was my wife who got the bug going. She bought me a bike for Xmas. I started riding, then bought her one for her birthday.

I can vouch for the Liv brand, especially if she’s on the shorter and smaller side. The handle bar shape,the size and reach of the levers really made a difference for me. I have a 2018 Tempt 3 which is a trail bike,standard tyres have good grip on tar as well.

I now allocate my wife and daughters budget to the only cyclist in our house.

My wife drove over my daughters unridden bike  - neither noticed the incident despite both being in the car. Replaced the wheel and gave it to my gardener's son who loves the pink tassles. The only reason it was in the way is because my daughter's friend rode it.  One of its 2 rides in 2 years.

Wifes bike apparently didn't have any gears she liked - I sold it and replaced it for one with a basket.  I went to the shop with it once.

They do like going to the CTCT though.

Sounds like the Mongoose we re-built for Maritz ....  :whistling:

8 year old TOP spec bike .... still had the nobbles on the original tires !!  :eek:

Maybe all these recalcitrant cyclists might change their minds if you get them E-Bikes?

I have offered to buy my wife an ebike ... would be so nice if she joins us on our rides ....

she is HAPPY having a coffee at the restaurant while we ride !!

Maybe I should follow Savage's advice .... and buy her an ebike in my size ....  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Some good stories here of woman that took to the sport and are good at it.

A friend has been involved with cycling most of his life, and his son has taken part at national level cycling competitions ....  His wife joined the odd "casual ride", but was never a serious cyclist.

She did the back-up driver thing at Baviaans a couple of times ... and then one year she was talked into taking part ... they won the mixed team category !  And the bug BIT !!

she has since done the full Ironman in a very respectable time !!!

this year she was one of the very few that completed the Trans Xhariep !!

Worst thing you can do is put them on some budget crap bike. I see it a lot, guy rides 60k bike wife on some cheap thing and then complains she doesn't want to ride.

If you want to get her into riding get a decent bike. Tubeless, air shock and decent gears.

Test it for yourself if you enjoy riding it so will she.

Next important thing is start her on super easy ride with great views.

There's a couple of places that rent good bikes it's gonna cost you a couple of hundred for a day but that way she can see if she likes it.

Worst thing you can do is put them on some budget crap bike. I see it a lot, guy rides 60k bike wife on some cheap thing and then complains she doesn't want to ride.

If you want to get her into riding get a decent bike. Tubeless, air shock and decent gears.

There's a couple of places that rent good bikes it's gonna cost you a couple of hundred for a day but that way she can see if she likes it.

another vote rental of a DECENT bike.

The choice of trail is probably THEE deal breaker ... the rider skill, and experience really should be considered when selecting that first trail ....

Every so often we see it on the trails ... the couple doing a first trail ride, and before long it turns into a walking and waiting game ....  some dont have the legs for the hills, others simply wont ride down a single track .....   (these goes equally for men and women)

Oh yeah, I chose a route with stunning views (meaning lots of climbing to get there) and was IDK very quickly as wifey didn't have the legs to get there or the skill to enjoy the downhill sections after. Choose wisely, it definitely makes or breaks the experience

I always feel guilty just riding the green belts with my kids. They both have okay little 16" and 20" bikes (Momsen & Muna) but each one is about as heavy as my 29'r and their little legs are really going hard on the 'train heavy race light' theory.