Newbie at the 94.7, how tough is it?

soutie18

I suggest you don’t focus on sub 4 hours but just enjoy the experience. The crowds are fantastic.

Try to consume about 60 grams of carbs per hour. Eat often and don’t leave it too late.

Try not to compete with the faster riders-your training isn't much and you risk blowing up early. In addition, effective training is more about time in the zones, not just kilos.

If possible, ensure that your gearing is appropriate. I am using 52/36 and 11/28. I would not recommend a 53/39 and 12/23. Good luck. Have fun. You can race hard next year once you know your pace for the distance and elevation gain.

i really need to change my gearing from 11/25 to 11/28 for those last hills . next year problems or this years christmas box 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frosty was printed on my number this year. Only a handful of people called me by that name, including a rather loud (coloured) woman close to the zoo.

Speaking of the names on numbers.

We had a good laugh going up Jan Smuts just past the zoo when we passed a guy from one of the Vets batches who'd obviously been dropped. Nothing funny about that, it happens. Except for the fact that the name on his number was "Punisher"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Hilariously ironic

i really need to change my gearing from 11/25 to 11/28 for those last hills . next year problems or this years christmas box 

11/30 gearing is even better. I had a poor 947.

I purchased new tubeless tyres (Giant Gavia Race 0) before 947 but couldn’t get the front tyre to seat properly. Then decided to fit a standard clincher tyre and tube but that didn’t go well-there was a wobble on the wheel. Late Saturday night I decided to do the race on my old steel framed MTB (14kg + with proper knobbies), which I use for holidays-made for a challenging 947.

11/30 gearing is even better. I had a poor 947.

I purchased new tubeless tyres (Giant Gavia Race 0) before 947 but couldn’t get the front tyre to seat properly. Then decided to fit a standard clincher tyre and tube but that didn’t go well-there was a wobble on the wheel. Late Saturday night I decided to do the race on my old steel framed MTB (14kg + with proper knobbies), which I use for holidays-made for a challenging 947.

Sorry to hear i am sure you still had fun 

Speaking of the names on numbers.

We had a good laugh going up Jan Smuts just past the zoo when we passed a guy from one of the Vets batches who'd obviously been dropped. Nothing funny about that, it happens. Except for the fact that the name on his number was "Punisher" :lol: :lol: :lol: Hilariously ironic

Unless there was more than one, he started in A, although he had a Vets number.