soutie18

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks For all the Info 

My Race went well not the sub 4 hours but at least there's next year 

I managed a 4 hours 50 mins felt very strong till kyalami, time was about 3 hours 10/30 mins my watch died just after that  i bonk and cramp up so bad i had to walk the last bit of the mine shaft if i am correct the up hill after Kyalami. And then my sufferfest begin all the way home.

it was extremely hot and i got 9 shades of sunburn .

I met a lot of cool guys And Thanks to the lady that gave me a gel at the top of mine shaft that saved me from completely going in to the danger zone 

My only complaint is that some riders were very reckless and i saw 3 accidents that should have never happened. This also lead me to ride solo very early and  in to that awful head wind which was my downfall as i pushed a losing battle there . . 

Overall Great Event my first 94.7 

I sense another addict in the making!

Thanks For all the Info 

I managed a 4 hours 50 mins felt very strong till kyalami, time was about 3 hours 10/30 mins my watch died just after that  i bonk and cramp up so bad i had to walk the last bit of the mine shaft if i am correct the up hill after Kyalami. And then my sufferfest begin all the way home.

I met a lot of cool guys And Thanks to the lady that gave me a gel at the top of mine shaft that saved me from completely going in to the danger zone 

My only complaint is that some riders were very reckless and i saw 3 accidents that should have never happened. This also lead me to ride solo very early and  in to that awful head wind which was my downfall as i pushed a losing battle there . . 

Thanks For all the Info 

I think I passed you, if your name on your back was also soutie, 

We really need to think of Hubber identification one year so we can say hello on the road? Red dot next to the number or something?

We really need to think of Hubber identification one year so we can say hello on the road? Red dot next to the number or something?

Hub name written in Navy Blue handwriting somewhere on the number...?

Indeed the short-lived I-team!

Argus and 947 hubber discount on those nice Bikehub tops would be a start...????

A couple of years back we had a cable tie sticking out the top of your helmet.... and I think a yellow dot on the helmet as well.

yes that is correct where did you pass me ? 

Thanks For all the Info 

Well done. It's important to have those tough experiences early on, and it's great that you still enjoyed it. There are some things about road riding that you just have to learn for yourself. I don't say that to sound patronizing, that's just been my experience. People can describe how important it is to ride in the bunch, draft, conserve energy, eat correctly, etc, but you don't really know how important all that is until you've experienced it yourself. In my first 100km road race I was really fit, my friends were in the A and $ groups and I was used to riding and training with them. But I had no seeding so I started in the very last group. I rode hard straight out the blocks and only looked back after about 30km, at which point I noticed that I was towing a huge bunch of riders behind me. I laughed them off. I was starting to hurt a little bit, but figured I could keep it up and just tried to drop them on each climb. At 70km I actually got off my bike and sat down on the side of the road, completely broken, while all the other sensible riders just drifted past. I'm not sure how I rode the final 30km but I was quite a pathetic site and was overtaken by 100s of riders. I had done the first 50km of the race in under 1.5hrs, but my final time was over 4hours. 

The really fun part that is still ahead of you (if the bug bites, or if you are that way inclined) is moving up the rankings to a slightly better starting group. Once people start riding in an organised bunch the dynamics change a lot and (for me) it becomes a lot more fun. You start earlier and move along much faster. It's a great feeling looking down at your garmin/watch and seeing that you've been riding for an hour, have done 35km and feel totally fresh. Toiling in the sun for 4-5 hours is tough.