Dropper Post 27.2 options

Spafsack

Hi guys, really need some advise here. On my silverback superspeed 2 carbon, looking at getting a dropper post, internal, 27.2mm. Here is the catch. OEM carbon post has a set back, looks to me like a 15mm to 20mm offset. My current seat position is forward, so my thinking is perhaps perhaps just maybe if i fit the dropper it might work if my seat is far back as possible, basically canceling the set back out.

I found this for a landed cost, duties etc...for R2 500, it has a 20mm setback:

https://www.modernbike.com/ks-eteni-dropper-seatpost-27.2-120mm-travel-black 

But i cant take a chance an order something which will need to be serviced or repaired as dropper posts need.

120mm travel would be great. 

What local options, or are there current specials, would you advise. I have been told to look at Lyn, x fusion, Giant. Prices range from 2.5k to 4k. I guess that would be my budget as well. 

Hi guys, really need some advise here. On my silverback superspeed 2 carbon, looking at getting a dropper post, internal, 27.2mm. Here is the catch. OEM carbon post has a set back, looks to me like a 15mm to 20mm offset. My current seat position is forward, so my thinking is perhaps perhaps just maybe if i fit the dropper it might work if my seat is far back as possible, basically canceling the set back out.

I found this for a landed cost, duties etc...for R2 500, it has a 20mm setback:

https://www.modernbike.com/ks-eteni-dropper-seatpost-27.2-120mm-travel-black

But i cant take a chance an order something which will need to be serviced or repaired as dropper posts need.

120mm travel would be great. 

What local options, or are there current specials, would you advise. I have been told to look at Lyn, x fusion, Giant. Prices range from 2.5k to 4k. I guess that would be my budget as well. 

Post a pic of your current seat position. Is your seat all the way forward on the rails?

To answer half of your question - I use the 27.2 Lyne internal dropper on my Anthem and I'm very happy with it.  

Hi Q, se 2 x pics.

That looks like you will need the setback seatpost.  Your saddle will not work on a straight if you want to keep your current possition.

KS has a good review on that seatpost. 

As far as I know they are also on the ONLY company that has 27.2 mm droppers with a setback

To answer half of your question - I use the 27.2 Lyne internal dropper on my Anthem and I'm very happy with it.  

But Lynne does not have setbback

Hi, do you need that setback post?

Could extend your stem by 10/20mm and buy a normal Lyne dropper.

I used 1 for over a year without a single problem.

Thanx guys, pity, thought as much. 

Hi, do you need that setback post?

Could extend your stem by 10/20mm and buy a normal Lyne dropper.

I used 1 for over a year without a single problem.

As per GCN, this is a bad idea as you bum needs to be a certain distance behind your feet. 

This is a sure way to create possible injuries in lower back, Knees, and hips

Hi Giant, a local bike shop advised that as an option as well, BUT, it took me a while to get my set up the way i want it, i am sure you know that feeling. I think i will take up Bongo and be the test review rider for his set back dropper  :clap: At the price he quoted its more or less in line with others.

the saddle you have has very short rails. A saddle with a longer rails will help.

However, with that amount of setback I'd say any dropper you get isn't going to last very long.

The leverage of your weight is going to put a lot of pressure on the stanchion bushes

Hi Diesel

Point taken and noted but seeing as my seat is relatively far forward currently maybe the dropper Mark spoke about with 15mn set back might just work and my saddle ends up being more in the middle.....only way is to test. I really hope I find a solution to this.

the saddle you have has very short rails. A saddle with a longer rails will help.

However, with that amount of setback I'd say any dropper you get isn't going to last very long.

The leverage of your weight is going to put a lot of pressure on the stanchion bushes

What he said, try a spez phenom. Fit it to your bike in the same position you have your current one as in Measure from stem or handlebar to tip of saddle and then fit the new one the same and then see if you have 15-20mm in front of the clamp ie you can move the saddle backwards 

if you have then you can get a straight dropper

Hey Q, D, local bike shop is getting a Giant dropper in, no set back. Will try this for ****s and giggles next week and see what measurements say. Not really keen on a new saddle but maybe as you say its an option [longer rails]