Beginner

Nadia New

Welcome!

Agreed on the sizing, you would definitely be around a small which is both a blessing and a curse in the used marked. There will be far fewer bikes in your size, but then again they should be lower priced due to the much lower demand.

As a reference, I am 1.72 and ride a small frame Merida road bike (on the limit for the size though) while I ride a medium frame mtb.

As to the triathlons, there are many who do the sprint distance on mtb, fewer on the Olympic distance and very few if any on the 70.3 distance. As noted by others, a road bike will be less effort to go much faster, making it way easier to finish within time limits on these events. 

A mtb will however make it possible to start training and participate in a few events, you can always buy a cheap road bike in a years time. Just remember to budget for all the other kit you will require, and above all, smile and have fun.

Hi there

Thanks for the advice.

Yes i know it will be more difficult on a MTB. But i think it will still be doable. I will also look into road bikes to compare the two.

Okay yes then i will definitely be a Small. Hopefully i can get a Small for a good price.

Welcome to Hubland First timer, you will get very good advice from very knowledgeable people. Trust them , most started out getting their feet wet the way you are doing now. The advice on here is free use it to your full advantage , because cycling can be expensive...!! Enjoy the ride !!

My suggestion will be to stop everything here and to go to the pro shop to get some sticks  :whistling:, we're all a bunch of crazy people  :eek:

But on a more serious note: If you want to do something like the 70.3 or any other race that takes place on the road it will be best to get a skinny wheel instead of a mtb. 

My suggestion is that you get yourself a roadie and if and when you want to go out on the dirty stuff then either rent or borrow a mtb  :thumbup:.  

Already sorted with the sticks :thumbup:

That sounds good. Maybe i should consider getting a road bike to do the triathlons and when im tired of it sell the bike and buy a MTB. 

( Or visit the Pro Shop instead ;) )

Welcome to Hubland First timer, you will get very good advice from very knowledgeable people. Trust them , most started out getting their feet wet the way you are doing now. The advice on here is free use it to your full advantage , because cycling can be expensive...!! Enjoy the ride !!

Hi there

Thank you i appreciate it.

Very excited to get started on a new journey in the cycling world.

Saving up for something you enjoy is always a great feeling ;)

Hi First Timer

Who will you be riding with and what type of riding they doing? MTB or road?  It should have a bearing on what bike you need.  Whilst you say you want to MTB, I assume that is because your friends do?

If you goal is 5150 and 70.3, they are much better on a road bike.  I know 5150 allow MTB, am not too sure if 70.3's do although I think they may have recently relaxed the rules to allow MTB.  Irrespective if you want to finish a 70.3 and not worry about the cut-off time, then a road bike will be the choice.

What time scale are you giving yourself to get riding and then sign up and train for the 5150 and 70.3?

If the triathlons are in a year from now and your friends MTB then get a MTB.  Once your fitness level is up, and you have been saving whilst MTB, you can consider getting a road bike to do the triathlons.By that time you will also be a lot more wiser on the type of bike best suited to you.

So would not consider the 2 bike option now, but just what you and your friends are doing with regard to riding and ride the same type of bike as them

Best would be to go to one of your local bike shops and discuss sizing with them.  It is likely you will be on a small.

Welcome and all the best

Edited by shaper

Welcome the Hub.

All the feedback above is spot on.  Just adding one thought to the mix ....

If your main aim is road riding, you will end up with a circle of friends that do road riding .... and a MTB simply wont keep up with the group ...  :whistling:

this from a MTB rider.   :ph34r:

Hi 

On a sizing chart i did on the internet it said my size is medium. I will have to go into a bike shop for a proper fit.

The two bikes for 5k each doesnt sound like a bad option. I will look into that.

I am just looking for a multi purpose bike, I arent that concerned with my time in the 70.3 just want to complete it. So if a MTB can do it it will be great.

Thank you

The difference between a mtb and a proper road bike on the road is massive (really massive). The cheapest road bike will still be better than the best of mountain bikes.

90kms (70.3 distance) is doable on a mtb, but really, a road bike is just going to make it sooooo much easier. It could be the difference between making the cycle leg cutoff time or not.

Hi First Timer

Who will you be riding with and what type of riding they doing? MTB or road?  It should have a bearing on what bike you need.  Whilst you say you want to MTB, I assume that is because your friends do?

If you goal is 5150 and 70.3, they are much better on a road bike.  I know 5150 allow MTB, am not too sure if 70.3's do although I think they may have recently relaxed the rules to allow MTB.  Irrespective if you want to finish a 70.3 and not worry about the cut-off time, then a road bike will be the choice.

What time scale are you giving yourself to get riding and then sign up and train for the 5150 and 70.3?

If the triathlons are in a year from now and your friends MTB then get a MTB.  Once your fitness level is up, and you have been saving whilst MTB, you can consider getting a road bike to do the triathlons.By that time you will also be a lot more wiser on the type of bike best suited to you.

So would not consider the 2 bike option now, but just what you and your friends are doing with regard to riding and ride the same type of bike as them

Best would be to go to one of your local bike shops and discuss sizing with them.  It is likely you will be on a small.

Welcome and all the best

I'm with Shaper on this one - which do you intend doing more of (or who will you be riding with and what do they do more of).

Points to consider:

10k can get you alot more road bike then mtb, but this doesn't help if you want to ride offroad.

If you get the MTB, you can always borrow a road bike for the 70.3 (just make sure to get it a few weeks in advance to get used to the different position), or get some slicks and maybe some clip on aero bars if that's allowed - but then gearing on the MTB will be a limitation on how fast you can go.