A dry January

Slowbee

When I’m dry I find I sleep better and have more energy all round. Also been paying attention to my hr now over the holiday, not sure if it is the alc or maybe the altitude but it went up by around 30bpm. Living in a dry country helps, I suppose it is because it is not readily available but I hardly ever think about it here. Different story when we go out of the country tho.

I am the same. A few Drinks and my sleeping heart rate is through the roof

Someone joked on a thread last month when I said I had my twelve beers ready for Xmas. Funny enough, there are still 8 or so of them left, because my son had a few over December. I had a couple of whisky’s over Xmas because I got some lovely bottles as gifts, but literally two or three drinks.

Apart from the occasional (maybe twice a month) whisky, I have stuck to alcohol free beers for a while now, although I haven’t drunk a huge amount since my son was born almost 18 years ago. Growing up in a house where someone drank too much was enough to make me swear that my kids would never ever see me drunk, and so far they haven’t.

Anyway, long story short, I’m in.

I am with you man, we physically lost my dad about a year ago after losing him for a year prior to that to alcohol. Not fun. Don't want my kids to ever experience anything close to that.

Castle Free is my go-to.

The motivation for this is part healthy, but also to kinda go some way to highlighting the addiction to alcohol thing.

This weekend is going to be tough. The Mrs is having friends over for a cheese and wine party :wacko:

The motivation for this is part healthy, but also to kinda go some way to highlighting the addiction to alcohol thing.

This weekend is going to be tough. The Mrs is having friends over for a cheese and wine party :wacko:

Good excuse to go ride my bike then....

There's 2 aspects (for me) to the whole thing. There's the getting gesuip which I think most of us can easily do without.

Then there is the ritual aspect to it. The glass of wine (which turns into 2) whilst making dinner. The beers at a braai. Etc Etc.

I think many are in the same boat as me. You wan't a sophisticated adult beverage but you don't want the alcohol. And you aren't 9 so you don't want to drink Coke. The nice thing about the enlightened times we live in is that there are many non alcoholic alternatives. And they are easy to access. Woolies sells a de-alcoholised wine called Lautus. And many of the leading brewing companies have a freebie beer. 

Personally the wines don't work for me but the beers do.

That's not even getting into the various alcohol free Gins that are out there.

Be brave and have fun with it.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

There's 2 aspects (for me) to the whole thing. There's the getting gesuip which I think most of us can easily do without.

Then there is the ritual aspect to it. The glass of wine (which turns into 2) whilst making dinner. The beers at a braai. Etc Etc.

I think many are in the same boat as me. You wan't a sophisticated adult beverage but you don't want the alcohol. And you aren't 9 so you don't want to drink Coke. The nice thing about the enlightened times we live in is that there are many non alcoholic alternatives. And they are easy to access. Woolies sells a de-alcoholised wine called Lautus. And many of the leading brewing companies have a freebie beer. 

Personally the wines don't work for me but the beers do.

That's not even getting into the various alcohol free Gins that are out there.

Be brave and have fun with it.

you see for me I dont even care about "sophisticated adult" drink. Hit me up with some good old H2O for all I care. I'm really not phased.

I grew up in a household where my dad offered me beer or wine from a young age, when he saw I didnt screw my nose up at it any longer he pointed me to the liquor cabinet, told me I can help myself to what i want, as long as I drink it in front of him.

I'd like to think because of this free access I never developed a need/habit/desire to drink more than 1 drink at a time. My sisters actually decided on my 22nd birthday that it was time I experienced being drunk and they made sure I got properly plastered.

Been doing this for a number of years now. For me it is more about braking the habbit of getting home and opening a beer. Or cooking and opening a bottle of wine.

Now i drink huge amounts of water and coffee. Our restaurant bill also look super cheap now.

I did have a beer on Sunday, after a Hippo popped up next to my raft rather unexpected...