Chain Lube (best for general use)?

Jaco Steyn

I tend to use a light lube for road (stay away from waxy stuff), and I clean my chain once a week when I'm riding regularly.  So WD40 for the road bike (I hear BikeMax in the background getting ready to protest) and clean the chain with Clean Green (rode about 11 000 km on previous chain, never had any problems, now about 5 000 km on replacement.  Then when I started MTB, I was worried about dust clinging to a "wet" lube like WD40, so I started using WL, but I found I had to relube VERY often.  So right now I'm still experimenting.  Actually found that WD 40 did very well in an extremely muddy 40km event that I rode in September, came home with the chain still well lubed and very clean!  Changed back to WL when it became drier, but still not happy.  Will probably try Squirt next.

SQUIRT SQUIRT SQUIRT ITS THE BEST!

We clean our chains with that other pink soap(cant remember the name now)that you dilute, just scrub scrub scrub, rinse and lube!

> What does everyone use to clean chains ?

Throw the chain in a small tub with some cheap engine degreaser. Shake for 30secs then rinse with water. Dry with a cloth and relube before replacing onto bike.

Niterider unless you are using SRam powerlinks you are weakening the chain everytime you split it. Using a clamshell chain washes is soooo painless and easy.

Titus as I said DRY DUSTY CONDITIONS....... horses for courses methinks.

Niterider unless you are using SRam powerlinks you are weakening the chain everytime you split it.

I wouldn't touch anything else Smile

Specialized (cause I'm so f-ing SPECIAL) Roadbike clean -> Clamshell thingy story.  But I was using Park Tools cleaning fluid, helluva expensive!  Any other types?

Black C clean -> eish, one time powerlink, two time no problem!

Alpina clean -> please read above!