2020 Norco Optic

hansolo

I'm considering buying a new bike later this year and the 2020 Norco Optic looks like a bike that suits my type of riding. The SA Norco website however says the following:

SORRY, OPTIC CARBON SERIES IS NOT AVAILABLE IN SOUTH AFRICA

Will we be getting the 2020 Optics later on or should I start looking at other options. I'm sure the 2019 bikes is fine but most reviews seems to suggest that the 2020 Optic is way better or a 2019 Optic should be a real bargain.

Any other options to consider?

Edited by hansolo

In the 120mm Rear and 130/140mm Front Category:

Evil Following MB

Transition Smuggler Carbon

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Ibis Ripley 4

Pivot Trail 429

Giant Trance 29

Specialized Stumjumper ST

I had the 2019 Trek Fuel EX on that list. The new one is a bit of a monster in comparison.

To name but a few from my 'when I win the lotto' list.

I am sure there are plenty of others

Edited by splat

In the 120mm Rear and 130/140mm Front Category:

Evil Following MB

Transition Smuggler Carbon

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Ibis Ripley 4

Pivot Trail 429

Giant Trance 29

To name but a few from my 'when I win the lotto' list.

I am sure there are plenty of others

Think we all have a "when we win the Lotto list"...

I'm considering buying a new bike later this year and the 2020 Norco Optic looks like a bike that suits my type of riding. The SA Norco website however says the following:

Will we be getting the 2020 Optics later on or should I start looking at other options. I'm sure the 2019 bikes is fine but most reviews seems to suggest that the 2020 Optic is way better or a 2019 Optic should be a real bargain.

Looks like a awesome bike and the reviews have been very good. Norco SA don’t do much marketing or demos across SA, Joburg is where they stay by the looks of it. Can’t sell to many if you don’t do any of those things. Have a look at the new Pyga Hyrax made locally it’s a awesome bike.

Looks like a seriously nice bike!

20_optic_c1_prpl_chr.png

(probably will get Internet shamed now)

Only issue I have with it is it is only available in plastic models.

Call me old fashioned and such, but I like metal. I am not the guy who is going to get the 1% advantage of carbon.

I want value for money. I'd rather have allu frame with higher spec than plastic with low spec)

(Go see the new Sight A1 vs the Sight C3. C3 is a little more expensive but spec is **** compared to A1)

But to add to the list.

Definitely think about the new 2020 Trek Fuel Ex.

Geo is not as modern as Optic but it rode flippen lekker (when compared to my fuel ex 2018, way more capable and stable)!

(probably will get Internet shamed now)

Only issue I have with it is it is only available in plastic models.

Call me old fashioned and such, but I like metal. I am not the guy who is going to get the 1% advantage of carbon.

I want value for money. I'd rather have allu frame with higher spec than plastic with low spec)

(Go see the new Sight A1 vs the Sight C3. C3 is a little more expensive but spec is **** compared to A1)

With you on the plastic thing. My last few bikes have been carbon, and then most recently an alu Transition - I can honestly not say I have noticed a difference in the material (well except for in my bank account).

But the big brands are catching on slowly, offering alu bikes with good build kits. I don't see myself buying carbon again any time soon - with the exception of an XC/marathon bike where weight and stifness matters.

There's also the Cannondale Habit. It's got around the same travel and a lot of fun to ride. Although I think my next bike will be the Commencal Meta TR 29.