Wheel Build

Amelia Enslin

I have a 2018 Roscoe 7 and looked at doing the same a while ago. I wouldn't bother rebuilding the existing hubs over onto 29in wheels. The rear hub in particular isnt very good. My freehub packed up after a few months use and the bearings are not sealed very well, needing regular servicing to keep running.

I would rather get a new wheel set, even second hand if you are looking to keep costs down. That way you still have the option of using the smaller wheels for specific rides if you want. As a few have mentioned the boost141 hub is basically a boost148 hub with qr end caps. You should be able to use a boost148 hub from any hub manufacturer that also produce a qr135 hub in the same range. You will just need to fit the qr end caps. If they only make a boost148 hub then you may have a problem. I know that hope hubs work.

Regarding the option of smaller tires. The wide rims pose a problem but Maxxis do a range of tires that is optimized for rims between 30mm and 35mm internal width called "Wide Trail". The 40mm designation on your wheels should be the external size. These tires will have the symbol "WT"as part of their name. You wont get them in 2.2 width but 2.5 and 2.4 are available, depending on the model. I thought it was only the more aggressive tires they did this but I checked their site and the do a 2.4in Rekon in the wide trail range if you are looking for less resistance. Not sure about availability in SA though. https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-559-140-rekon

In the end I decided against the bigger wheels and went with slightly smaller tires. I am currently running an Assegai/Aggressor combo in 2.5in width and its so much better than the tires the bike came with. The one drawback is they drop the bb height a small bit. Its not much but its noticable. The Roscoe already has a very low bb to start with. I have been riding mtb's for 25 years and this is the only bike I have ever had that I consistently get pedal strikes with.

I have a 2018 Roscoe 7 and looked at doing the same a while ago. I wouldn't bother rebuilding the existing hubs over onto 29in wheels. The rear hub in particular isnt very good. My freehub packed up after a few months use and the bearings are not sealed very well, needing regular servicing to keep running.

I would rather get a new wheel set, even second hand if you are looking to keep costs down. That way you still have the option of using the smaller wheels for specific rides if you want. As a few have mentioned the boost141 hub is basically a boost148 hub with qr end caps. You should be able to use a boost148 hub from any hub manufacturer that also produce a qr135 hub in the same range. You will just need to fit the qr end caps. If they only make a boost148 hub then you may have a problem. I know that hope hubs work.

Regarding the option of smaller tires. The wide rims pose a problem but Maxxis do a range of tires that is optimized for rims between 30mm and 35mm internal width called "Wide Trail". The 40mm designation on your wheels should be the external size. These tires will have the symbol "WT"as part of their name. You wont get them in 2.2 width but 2.5 and 2.4 are available, depending on the model. I thought it was only the more aggressive tires they did this but I checked their site and the do a 2.4in Rekon in the wide trail range if you are looking for less resistance. Not sure about availability in SA though. https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-559-140-rekon

In the end I decided against the bigger wheels and went with slightly smaller tires. I am currently running an Assegai/Aggressor combo in 2.5in width and its so much better than the tires the bike came with. The one drawback is they drop the bb height a small bit. Its not much but its noticable. The Roscoe already has a very low bb to start with. I have been riding mtb's for 25 years and this is the only bike I have ever had that I consistently get pedal strikes with.

Hi there, 

I moved my tires from the stock 2.8 to maxxis rekon 2.6 and i still struggle allot, it feels like im stuck in the trail. And whilst people are flying past me i need to peddle my heart out just to move forward. 

Do you think a 2.4" tire will make a huge different in weight for me?

Hi there,

I moved my tires from the stock 2.8 to maxxis rekon 2.6 and i still struggle allot, it feels like im stuck in the trail. And whilst people are flying past me i need to peddle my heart out just to move forward.

Do you think a 2.4" tire will make a huge different in weight for me?

I hate to say it to you - but the tyres do not make that much of a difference. Sure, the 29ers with light tyres compared to 27.5 plus with heavy tyres will roll faster, but it is not a dramatic difference that we are speaking of - esepecially on the trail.

My one set up is 29" Roval Control wheels with Maxxis Ardent Race and Ikon, the other setup is 27.5 Novatech/Race Face wheels with 2.8 tyres - Specialized Butcher and Slaughter. In my hands I can feel a dramatic weight difference, we are talking 900 grams, and on tar the 29ers roll faster, but as soon as I hit the dirt there isn't much of a discenrable difference in speed - Strava confirms this. There is however a big difference in how the bike rides.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Like some other commentators mentioned, it's a heavy bike to start with. It's probably around 15kg once you've added pedals and accessories.

As an exercise you could take your current wheels off the bike, and weigh them. Then go look up the weight of the tyres you've got on there, and you'll get an idea of how changes can affect your overall weight.

Onza Ibex 29x2.4 = 960g

Onza Svelt 29x2.25 = 725g

Onza Canis 29x2.25 = 700g

Onza Canis 27.5x2.8 = 910g

So I believe you've got the newer Roscoe with Schwalbe rubber, this is their spec:

Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x2.8 = 785g  :eek:

And the Bontrager Line Pro 40 wheels are 764g + 894g = 1658g Ignore, those are the Carbon wheels.

Rapide's 29" wheels start at 1649g, Lyne is around 1500g. So realistically, how much can you actually save. Looks like the issue does not really lie with the wheels actually. Yes, the 2.8" tyres will roll a little harder than skinnier tyres, but I don't think there's much improvement to be had, unless you go carbon and super light (read thin) tyres.

Already a lot of info in this thread, but here's my 2c worth.

You should feel a large difference in the ride in terms of the bike being more responsible and nimble, with 29er wheels and tyres in the 2.2-2.4" range.

Boost 141 is indeed BOOST hubs with QR end caps. I've built wheels with this spec using Hope Boost hubs with QR end caps. It's a tool-free swap. Easy as pie.

The nice thing about building or buying a new set of BOOST 29er wheels is that you can swap them over onto any BOOST or BOOST 141 bike in the future, so consider investing in the best wheels you can afford - you may have them for a while.

Consider the normal stuff:

• Value for money - cost vs. budget. vs features
  • Weight vs. durability
  • Availability of spare parts
  • Warranties, guarantees and after-sales back-up
  • Tubeless performance
  • Customisation options i.t.o colours etc