PERMA TUBES

Hairy

Take an old 23c tyre and cut the sidewalls off. Put it inside your current tyre.

I would've never thought of this, gatorskin should make a decent liner?

I would've never thought of this, gatorskin should make a decent liner?

An old tyre, as long as it isn't worn too thin, works well. It can be cut a bit wider than a tyre liner to give more protection on the shoulder of the tyre. It is also easier to fit because it is the right shape. 

An old tyre, as long as it isn't worn too thin, works well. It can be cut a bit wider than a tyre liner to give more protection on the shoulder of the tyre. It is also easier to fit because it is the right shape. 

WILL GIVE THIS A SPIN ... the additional weight on the wheels will at least slow me down a bit more  :ph34r: 

they're is a point where the amount of money you spend on the commuter bike defies the ideal of what it was meant to be in unfortunately. Cheap chearfull and fast.

Have you tried slime sealer in the tubes? I use it in my commutator. Seals lots of thorns.Cheap cheerful but slow - maybe cause I ride nowhere near 9000km a year. I did the same for bike I set up for an employee. It seems to work for him and I think he logs more miles.

You can use slime + tire liners in you need a "heavier" option.

Tip, When you do need to fix punctures in a slimed tube, fit a spare (slimeless) tube to get home. Clean the muck of the outside of the slimed one with benzine before patching. I normally fix as many holes as I can find when I get to patching a slimed tube - typically 3 or 4 at a time. When you get over say 10 patches or the tube runs out of slime, scrap it and start on a new tube.

You can't fold up a slimed tube for transport or storage, It will stick together and become scrap rubber. If you need to store a spare, inflate it and hang it over a hook in the garage.

I started out about 6 years ago with a basic commuter that had cheap tires and tubes - I got a lot of punctures and was cursing daily, landed up with double tyre liners and that worked ok, but it was heavy as hell along with the basic rims on the bike ... and I'd still get an occasional puncture. I then moved to hard-shell gatorskins and that worked well, plus it was so much lighter.

I'm currently riding my 'racing road bike' with carbon rims and tubeless road tyres to work (899 per tyre at CWC and I fitted them myself at home) - its the only road bike I now own. Its a short ride but I do it come rain or shine. I haven't had a puncture in over 18 months on the commute and I love the ride into the office so much more. The ride home is a sprint ... life is short, enjoy the ride  :whistling:

I started out about 6 years ago with a basic commuter that had cheap tires and tubes - I got a lot of punctures and was cursing daily, landed up with double tyre liners and that worked ok, but it was heavy as hell along with the basic rims on the bike ... and I'd still get an occasional puncture. I then moved to hard-shell gatorskins and that worked well, plus it was so much lighter.

I'm currently riding my 'racing road bike' with carbon rims and tubeless road tyres to work (899 per tyre at CWC and I fitted them myself at home) - its the only road bike I now own. Its a short ride but I do it come rain or shine. I haven't had a puncture in over 18 months on the commute and I love the ride into the office so much more. The ride home is a sprint ... life is short, enjoy the ride  :whistling:

That would be the ideal solution, but I could in no way justify a purchase of R899 per tyre (ex. tubeless wheels/rims) unfortunately.

I have a friends old marathon plus tyre on the front at the moment to test out ... that this feels like I could ride over nails and still be ok....but still not the best solution.

Will keep searching for a solution.

Went out to Conters this morning with car and bike .... the amount of riders I saw on the side of the roads fixing flats was rather depressing ... later in the day I had to head out to Melkbos and saw the same carnage along the sides of the roads again. It is unfortunately just the season of devil thorns.

That would be the ideal solution, but I could in no way justify a purchase of R899 per tyre (ex. tubeless wheels/rims) unfortunately.

I have a friends old marathon plus tyre on the front at the moment to test out ... that this feels like I could ride over nails and still be ok....but still not the best solution.

Will keep searching for a solution.

Went out to Conters this morning with car and bike .... the amount of riders I saw on the side of the roads fixing flats was rather depressing ... later in the day I had to head out to Melkbos and saw the same carnage along the sides of the roads again. It is unfortunately just the season of devil thorns.

Cool man, I looked into those - didn't ever get to try them. Good luck!  :thumbup: