Brake upgrade options for Scott RC 900 Comp?

boesman88

Thanks - this is very helpful as the rear geometry should be the same.  I assume you added a spacer to fit the calipers?

Did you use the 8120s on the 160 rear rotor before fitting the 180? did it make the ~20% difference I read about on the interweb?

The 910 came with XT M8000 2-pot calipers with 180mm rotors front and rear from the factory. Put on the 4-pots and new 180mm Ice-Tech rotors when I upgrade my drivetrain to the 1x12.

No need for any spacers etc. and I can't speak to the different rotor sizes because I kept the same size. The M8100s defintiely have better modulation than the 8000s and the 4- pots make a difference but it's not massive IMO. Might make a bigger difference if i was heavier or on longer downhills but that's just speculation on my part.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont go wrong with the XT's I even run them (normal 2 pot with 180 ice F & R)

But here's my next question: How did you install the new rotor after replacing the old? Normally the pads and rotors seed together, i.e. the surface level wears together. The vibration you're currently experiencing may be due to this. My suggestion would be to sand the pads down a bit or replace them.

But if you have the cash to spend then definitely go with the XT's, even the normal 2 pot with 180 rotors will suffice. I have done 4 Baviaans races and I've never felt that I was not in control

Do you replace your rotors when your pads are finished?

Nope, but I do sand the rotor surface with a fine piece of sandpaper to try and clear the discoloration on from the previous pad. I suppose one can call it burn marks. This is also a very good way to clear any surface build-up or any other contaminant.

In the case of replacing a new rotor with old pads: I would just sand the surface area on the pad to also clear any rough spots and or contaminants giving the rotor and pad a "fresh start". 

PS: I'm referring to a light sand on the pads, just breaking the surface.

Do you replace your rotors when your pads are finished?

One thing not sure anyone has mentioned it on hear the rear brake mount ties in with the rear axle. Not sure if this will affect the type of adapter you use. I know the normal Spark has 180mm front and rear maybe ask you local dealer for one of those brake mounts.

You wont go wrong with the XT's I even run them (normal 2 pot with 180 ice F & R) 

But here's my next question: How did you install the new rotor after replacing the old? Normally the pads and rotors seed together, i.e. the surface level wears together. The vibration you're currently experiencing may be due to this. My suggestion would be to sand the pads down a bit or replace them. 

But if you have the cash to spend then definitely go with the XT's, even the normal 2 pot with 180 rotors will suffice. I have done 4 Baviaans races and I've never felt that I was not in control

The vibration is much more prominent than what I imagine an incorrect sead would feel like.  The contour of the ICE Rotor is such that the pads overlap the outside of the rotor periodically as the uneven outer shape of the rotor moves through the caliper which, when putting force on the lever, causes a bite/no bit situation.  See the pic attached.

post-11565-0-79724400-1585655689_thumb.jpg

Okay, one last question. I can get 4pot XTs for roughly the same price as 4pot Saints. Would saints be overkill for XC and Trail riding?

How does the modulation of xt and saints compare? My old XTs were quite brutal (on/off feeling) whereas the SRAMs Feel a lot more ‘car’ like- the harder you press the more force is applied. How does the Saints compare?

Edited by boesman88

Okay, one last question. I can get 4pot XTs for roughly the same price as 4pot Saints. Would saints be overkill for XC and Trail riding?

How does the modulation of xt and saints compare? My old XTs were quite brutal (on/off feeling) whereas the SRAMs Feel a lot more ‘car’ like- the harder you press the more force is applied. How does the Saints compare?

Yes but overkill is grossly underrated

The word “Modulation” does not exist in the Shimano universe.  If you want modulation and powerful stoppers buy the Cura’s.  I have the 2-pod version and they are great.  The grease monkey has them on his 18kg Tranny as well and he also weighs north of a 100kg’s, but only until August when he will become vegan for 3 months…. 

Sorry, got derailed there, back to the stoppers.  We run this on our trailbikes and going down the steep stuff in Jonkers and Helderberg and there is def no lack of stopping power.

It does sound like you already made up your mind about buying Shimano.  If you do go the overkill road and get the Saints, you might have even less modulation with them.  They were designed for going downhill on a downhill bike with very grippy rubber on them. 

This is not scientific, just what I think might happen… If you have a more powerful brake on a lighter bike, less speed and less steep terrain and fast rolling tyres you might find that it will lock up the wheel to quick.  Now skids are all fun and we all like to lock up the back wheel, but I am yet to experience a fun skid if my front wheel locks up.  Again, I am not sure it this will happen but my experience with XT brakes is that there is little modulation and there is a fine line between no brake and fully engaged stopping power. 

If someone does have experience with Saint brakes on a XC bike I would like to know what they thought of the setup.

Does anyone know what the larger diameter brake rotors are that can be fitted to a Scott RC 900 alu frame?  Of where I can find out? Standard size is 160/180 rear and front.

appreciate it

What fork is fitted to the bike as this will limit your brake rotor size before other limitations kick in

Buy the Shimano Zee brakeset from cwcycles.com. R3k is a moerse bargain. Those brakes suit a big guy. Strong brakes are one of the nicest upgrades you can do.

Like CJVan said, I also run 2 pot Curas. They are brilliant. I weigh 105kg, and my bike about 16kg - I go down some pretty steep stuff at a pretty decent pace and it stops me just fine. The modulation and power is really brilliant. Lever feel is nice and smooth, and it doesn't need to be bled often.

If I compare this to the Shimano XT M8000 brakes on my other bike - they are shyte. There is no modulation, I have to bleed them very often, and the power does not even begin to compare to that of the Curas. And this is on a bike that I ride considerably slower than the bike that has Curas.

Formula Curas are hands down the best brakes you can buy in the workers class price range. I run them with metalic pads and Shimano Ice Tech rotors, 203mm up front and 180mm out back - but that is on a 160mm travel enduro bike and is probably overkill for an XC bike - 180/180 or 180/160 should do the trick.

I would not buy Shimano Saints for the reasons CJVan already covered. It's a downhill brake - why put that on an XC bike? Buy a brake that makes sense for the bike, and IMO that is the Cura.

PS, over the last couple of years I have owned Shimano Deore, SLX, XT, Sram Guides, and the Curas. The Curas are in a class of their own. I'm a fanboy as you can tell.

The only other brakes I would want at this stage are the new Hayes Dominion 4 Pot brakes - but they are a price class up, and again, overkill for an XC bike.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

What is brake pad availability and pricing for the Curas?

Originals and aftermarket ones are widely available from retailers