Help me choose my next MTB Bar/Stem combo

Cycle Fan

So looking for some help on choosing a new bar/stem combo for my MTB. Just moved from a Scott Spark (old design) to an Evil Following and absolutely LOVING the change in riding style. But...

The Following came with a flat bar and relatively long stem (60mm) so looking for some suggestions on a riser bar and shorted stem combo. 

Yes, I know that this is a very personal (saddle-like) choice but just looking for some suggestions/info as I don't have a lot of cash to waste trying out different combos. I'm looking at the Rapide and Lynn offerings (links below) and the options for the riser bars are:

• 15mm
  • 25mm
  • 30mm

Then not sure on stem length??

So hoping to tap into the wealth of wisdom that is The Hub...

Thanks in advance

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-pro35-highrize-r-controlpack/

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-highrize-controlpack/

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/components-bundles/products/amp-31-8mm-alloy-bar-and-stem-bundle?variant=31217790058567

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/components-bundles/products/amp-35-alloy-bar-and-stem-bundle

I also went from a spark to a Genius.

Genius came with a 50mm stem with, and off the bat I replaced the bar literally without even trying it as I cannot ride Alu bars, they make my hands go numb.

Bike shop suggested I get a 30mm rise on top of 30mm of spacers, in the end that was too much, but I got the Spank vibro core 800mm.

As a bar it was great, it felt great when I was ridding, but I dropped it a bit and it was better and for testing I took the Lyne carbon bar off the spark.

How I am ridding now and am quite happy with, needs some more ridding once we can as I have a longer fork now too.

20mm spacers

780mm lyne carbon bar 15mm rise

45mm lyne carbon stem.

When all this madness is over I'll put the spank back with the spacers on top but need it cut to 780 first.

While 800 felt good and did not feel wrong in anyway when I rode it as that's how I rode the bike from day 1, 780 is def better. Then I will run the 40mm stem.

You def right, it is very, very much a personal preference thing, I am lucky to have spars to play with as I have bought them over the years through the bikes. I rode my spark with 20mm rise and that lyne bar and stem combo.

If at all possible see what you can lend from friends as it really is an ideal try before you buy setup.

How I ended up switching back was grabbing the mechanics bike to test the fork before I bought it and his cockpit was very similar to what I hat and just like 20m of ridding I was like no, this feels better and went home and redid my cockpit.

Have a look at some bike reviews and the Evil page and see what is specced there for the size frame you run. Should get you in the ballpark for length and width. Off the top of my head 40-60mm stem and a 760-780 bar should be stock. Can't go wrong with Lyne or Rapide, though their ranges are a bit limited when it comes to different bar rises

Thanks for the detailed reply - appreciate the input!

I also went from a spark to a Genius.

Genius came with a 50mm stem with, and off the bat I replaced the bar literally without even trying it as I cannot ride Alu bars, they make my hands go numb.

Bike shop suggested I get a 30mm rise on top of 30mm of spacers, in the end that was too much, but I got the Spank vibro core 800mm.

As a bar it was great, it felt great when I was ridding, but I dropped it a bit and it was better and for testing I took the Lyne carbon bar off the spark.

How I am ridding now and am quite happy with, needs some more ridding once we can as I have a longer fork now too.

20mm spacers
780mm lyne carbon bar 15mm rise
45mm lyne carbon stem.

When all this madness is over I'll put the spank back with the spacers on top but need it cut to 780 first.

While 800 felt good and did not feel wrong in anyway when I rode it as that's how I rode the bike from day 1, 780 is def better. Then I will run the 40mm stem.

You def right, it is very, very much a personal preference thing, I am lucky to have spars to play with as I have bought them over the years through the bikes. I rode my spark with 20mm rise and that lyne bar and stem combo.

If at all possible see what you can lend from friends as it really is an ideal try before you buy setup.

How I ended up switching back was grabbing the mechanics bike to test the fork before I bought it and his cockpit was very similar to what I hat and just like 20m of ridding I was like no, this feels better and went home and redid my cockpit.

I've been following the Evil page and also looked at their website. Seems the new Following comes with a 35mm Riser bar and they suggest a 35-50mm stem.

Just felt that coming from a flat bar to 35mm Rise may be a bit much.

Have a look at some bike reviews and the Evil page and see what is specced there for the size frame you run. Should get you in the ballpark for length and width. Off the top of my head 40-60mm stem and a 760-780 bar should be stock. Can't go wrong with Lyne or Rapide, though their ranges are a bit limited when it comes to different bar rises

I've been following the Evil page and also looked at their website. Seems the new Following comes with a 35mm Riser bar and they suggest a 35-50mm stem.

Just felt that coming from a flat bar to 35mm Rise may be a bit much.

Nah, don't worry about 35mm rise. If you're putting spacers under your bars now it's a moot point, anyway. More important is to ensure the sweep is right for you, because the difference in feeling between a 5 deg sweep and a 9 deg sweep is huge (better wrist alignment on the 9, for me). If you're still unsure, a 15 / 20mm rise shoudl be as good middle ground. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I ran my Following with a Spike Spank 40mm Stem and 800w Renthal Alu bars (with rise, can't remember what tho) and found that combo super stiff and not in a good way. Where as that combo on the previous alu frame was great. I ended up swapping out for 50mm Renthal stem and Renthal Carbon bars at 800 wide and love them. I shouldn't really like them as advice says that they are to wide (now we're dialing back from the standard 800mm wide mantra). Not sure why they work for me but they do.

Maybe they work because I don't really fancy taking a hacksaw to my bars and then find out it was an expensive lesson as I hack each end repeatedly trying to balance them out before trying to start the new '690-is-the-new-800' cult. 

Those Vibracore bars look a good idea. I'm always a little worried about carbon bars. Have I over tightened them. Are they fatiguing. Am i gonna see the ground rushing up as they sheer on that rock drop followed by a quick trip to my friends at the ER... but nope, they have been fine. 

Lyne is always great value and rock solid if you're looking local. 

I guess now I have my main bike build dialled in I can focus a bit on the 'smaller' stuff and what you never thought would make that much of a change (like bar / stem and pedals) really do. 

Edited by T-Bob

Thanks for the advice!

Nah, don't worry about 35mm rise. If you're putting spacers under your bars now it's a moot point, anyway. More important is to ensure the sweep is right for you, because the difference in feeling between a 5 deg sweep and a 9 deg sweep is huge (better wrist alignment on the 9, for me). If you're still unsure, a 15 / 20mm rise shoudl be as good middle ground. 

Now the next question is clamp size. Is the 35mm bore just another cycling standard for the sake of being different or does it really make much difference compared to the 31.8?

Sorry for the hijack. Anybody know where one can buy a 30/35mm rise carbon bar?

Not in South Africa, I looked before buying the vibracore, only 30mm riser carbon bar that was 780mm I could find was made by box and it was like 170gbp before shipping and customs, so prolly like 4 grand by the time it reaches your door.

I use it for the numb hands, so the vribacore worked just as well and that was about 1.8

Not in South Africa, I looked before buying the vibracore, only 30mm riser carbon bar that was 780mm I could find was made by box and it was like 170gbp before shipping and customs, so prolly like 4 grand by the time it reaches your door.

I use it for the numb hands, so the vribacore worked just as well and that was about 1.8

Where did you get the vibracore?

Where did you get the vibracore?

My bike shop ordered it from whomever the supplier is so should be readily available locally.