DJI Mavic Air 2 - Just Released

Tankman

.... snip ...

Much less pixelation on this upload  :thumbup:

Very nice rainbow colors from the waves at 03:18

What I picked up in some of my own little videos is that i will shoot, export and edit in 1080p 30 fps and view the video file on my pc and see no pixelation, upload that same video file as 1080p to youtube and watch it on YouTube in 1080 p and will see pixelation. Will do exactly the same but with e.g. 120 fps and i will end up with the same result.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much less pixelation on this upload  :thumbup:

Very nice rainbow colors from the waves at 03:18

What I picked up in some of my own little videos is that i will shoot, export and edit in 1080p 30 fps and view the video file on my pc and see no pixelation, upload that same video file as 1080p to youtube and watch it on YouTube in 1080 p and will see pixelation. Will do exactly the same but with e.g. 120 fps and i will end up with the same result.

Yup, now that I watched it a couple of times, it is a bit repetitive, different but the same, should have made it shorter.  But quite challenging when there is no real story or subject, it is just me messing around with the drone!  :whistling:

Regarding the pixelation, I dont think the frame rate will make much of a difference whether you export in 30fps or 120fps.  What will make a difference is the bitrate in which you export.  1080p is around 20Mbps, 2k around 40Mpbs and 4k around 80Mbps.  (It varies between cameras quite a bit but the more bits you give youtube the more there will be left over after it had done its compression)

I always try and choose the Max bitrate when exporting but it seems that shooting, exporting and uploading 2.7k footage instead of 1080p does have its benefits,  it just doubles the exporting and uploading time!

The fps will smooth out your footage depending on what fps you choose to work on.

I shoot 99% in 24fps.  30fps I try and avoid at all cost because pulling a 30fps into a 24fps timeline just does not work, it is always jittery.  60 or 120fps I will use if I shoot with slo-mo specifically in mind  and pulling 60 or 120 into a 24fps timeline does still work.  But if your timeline is in 30fps then 60 and 120 works great but you loose the motion blur of 24fps.  Took some time to wrap my head around all the fps!  :w00t:

I shoot 99% in 24fps.  30fps I try and avoid at all cost because pulling a 30fps into a 24fps timeline just does not work, it is always jittery.  60 or 120fps I will use if I shoot with slo-mo specifically in mind  and pulling 60 or 120 into a 24fps timeline does still work.  But if your timeline is in 30fps then 60 and 120 works great but you loose the motion blur of 24fps.  Took some time to wrap my head around all the fps!  :w00t:

Please educate me a bit?  Or is Google my friend?

Please educate me a bit?  Or is Google my friend?

Anytime man, google can make it even more confusing, let me try!

When working with different frame rates, you have to choose the frame rate for your scene and your final product.  What frame rate will you ultimately be exporting in?

When you upload a video to youtube, it can not have a 24 and 30 and 60fps timeline.

Your video can have different clips shot at different frame rates, but they will all be converted to your chosen timeline frame rate. 

Lets say you shot your footage in 24fps, you pull your first clip into your timeline in your editing software, your timeline will now be 24fps.  If you shot footage on your GoPro at 30fps for instance and you add that clip into your timeline, it will now also be 24fps.  In effect dropping 6 of the 30 frames so that you have 24fps.  If you shot in 60fps and pull that into a 24fps timeline, every 2nd or so frame is being dropped to give conform to 24fps. 

If you slow 60fps down to 40% that will also give you 24fps.

If you slow down 120fps to 80% that will give you 24fps

You want to get all your footage down to the same frame rate.

That's why 30fps footage on a 24fps timeline does not work so lekka, every 4th frame is dropped and that could cause your footage to be jerky.

In terms of frame rates its self:

24fps is what we are used to seeing, that is what they use in the movies.  It gives a slight motion blur.

If someone sits in front of the camera and waves a hand, you will pick up a slight blur in the hand.

Not a lot but it is there, this is what your eyes are used to seeing.  Wave your hand and look at the motion blur, you do not see all of your fingers the whole time whilst waving.

30fps will not have the same motion blur, it will be a lot smoother because there are now more fps. 

If you look at sports like rugby or cricket, that is shot at 60fps or even 120fps (some of the slo-mo cameras do 240fps).

If cricket was shot at 24fps and a ball that was hit to the boundary, it would just be a blurry blob of a line, it moves too fast for 24fps.  The image on your screen looks different compared to that of a movie when looking at sports, it is much crisper and smooth thanks to the high frame rate. 

BUT frame rates in live broadcast works a bit different with the 60hertz refresh rate thrown into the mix than exporting a video to youtube.  (my knowledge in broadcasting is too limited to explain)

Another thing to keep in mind, when there is audio with your footage, someone talking during an interview, then you definitely do not want to shoot at a different frame rate than what your main exporting frame rate is going to be.  If you shot the interview in 60fps and bring that into a 24fps timeline, with every 2nd frame then being dropped, your audio will not match up to the lip movement and it will just look weird.

Anyway, that's my understanding, dont take it as rule!

Here is an old video but it covers the basics:

Edited by Tankman

Now that Takelot is open again.

Refurb Mavic 2 Zoom or 2 Pro units for about R25k

Needs to do some reading to compare these against the latest kid on the block.  

Now that Takelot is open again.

Refurb Mavic 2 Zoom or 2 Pro units for about R25k

Needs to do some reading to compare these against the latest kid on the block.  

That is a tough one!

From a pure video/photography point of view the 2 Pro has the better camera.

Bigger sensor.

Better ISO performance

10bit video recording.

Variable aperture, variable focus

But if all that doenst mean a lot, from a ease of use point of view the Air 2

Fixed focus, fixed aperture

60fps 4k Video vs 30fps of the 2 Pro

Smaller in size

Longer flight time

To help you decide, I made a video... :lol: :lol:

(It actually has nothing to do with either but I made it anyway!)

Tank, how does the Mini handle wind ?

Saw a few video's on YT that showed it's a mixed bag.

DC Rainmaker had the Air 2 in 50kph winds, and very stable!!

Thinking the in the western cape, a little breeze could really hamper the flying.

It would be terrible to buy something and not be able to use it, despite the great weather.

And then a total out the box question.

Anyone flow the drone late into the evening for sunset pictures ?

It doesnt...

Google mavic mini flyaway :)

Even the really experienced drone reviewers I watch on youtube that give tips on what to do if its being blown away dont always win.

I have seen more than one lose their mini due to wind.

Its a hit and miss... sometimes the wind is howling and I think naah not even going to try but then I dont know if the bigger boys will give me that much more confidence to try in those instances anyway.

I have flown at the Point here in Mosselbay quite a bit in windy conditions, there can be a crazy on-shore wind at times or just the breeze blowing over the peaks there can be hectic.

When the wind is like that, I try not to take shots where the drone has to hover for 10seconds to try and keep still, that just doesnt work, when you keep flying, the shots still come out decent without to many bumpy bits.

Yea a couple of guys lost their Mini's in the beginning BUT this drone was also aimed at beginners and guess what beginners want to do, yup, how far and how high can it go.

If you did not learn from their mistakes, fly out against the wind - fly back with the wind, then you are just a dumbass and you were most likely to loose it anyway!  :lol:

I have never had issues like that but I have never tried to see if it could actual go 3km far either!  I do get the occasional "Strong Wind Warning" on the display but lowering altitude sorts that you quickly since you dont realize the difference in wind speed on the ground vs up in the sky.

Thinking the in the western cape, a little breeze could really hamper the flying.

It would be terrible to buy something and not be able to use it, despite the great weather.

And then a total out the box question.

Anyone flow the drone late into the evening for sunset pictures ?

Yes, well mostly sunrise of late but I have also sneaked in a couple of night flights to test the footage.

My conclusion:  fly during the day!  :lol:

It doesnt...

Google mavic mini flyaway :)

Even the really experienced drone reviewers I watch on youtube that give tips on what to do if its being blown away dont always win.

I have seen more than one lose their mini due to wind.

The Cape  = Wind = Mavic Air. Will wait for black friday clear out specials, or any other specials.

That is a tough one!

From a pure video/photography point of view the 2 Pro has the better camera.

Bigger sensor.

Better ISO performance

10bit video recording.

Variable aperture, variable focus

But if all that doenst mean a lot, from a ease of use point of view the Air 2

Fixed focus, fixed aperture

60fps 4k Video vs 30fps of the 2 Pro

Smaller in size

Longer flight time

To help you decide, I made a video... :lol: :lol:

(It actually has nothing to do with either but I made it anyway!)

https://youtu.be/s9wqSgo_lQY

Where did you get that music?

The Cape  = Wind = Mavic Air. Will wait for black friday clear out specials, or any other specials.

Same deal here, its the exact reason I didnt go for the mini.

We get a handful of days each year without wind!

DC rainmaker did a test with the air2 in stupidly windy conditions and it wasnt at any risk of being blown away.

I had a good chuckle watching one of the drone youtubers I follow. He did a "how not to lose your mini" video. Two videos later he had a search and rescue video after his mini got blown away :)