DJI Mavic Air 2 - Just Released

Tankman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also thinking about keeping the Mavic Mini and using that as a travel drone to get a couple of touristy snap shots, it is so small, quiet and easy to get shots without making a big noticeable fuss.

Obviously, when I travel for work, then the big guns with all the paperwork would be in order.

It seems that the guys with the Mini's seems to fly under the radar with much less issues in some parts of the world than with the bigger drones.  

In the USA the regulation is for 250g or more in weight, the mini comes in at 249g so it slips by. I think its similar for Europe

You have one for France?

Here is the DJI link as promised, it has the restricted zones per country.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Just pick your country and drone from the list.

But remember these zones are in line with FAA regulations and local laws might differ.

I am in Mosselbay, according to the Western Cape No-Fly zone, I cant fly here because of the tiny little airport just about 10km outside of town and I mean tiny.  There might be one or two Cessnas landing here in a month and the rest use George Airport.

post-4352-0-19274700-1588173883_thumb.jpg

According to the FAA, which the DJI app is regulated by, this little airport means jack.

Stay out of the landing and take off flight path and you are good to go, also stay below 120m.

post-4352-0-40804200-1588174020_thumb.jpg

With a huge airport like CapeTown, things are different again.  You can fly in the approaching and landing flight path, outside of the 10km, but you are restricted to 80m I think.

post-4352-0-29098600-1588174220_thumb.jpg

You can get authorization to fly in the blue zone in Cape Town, it will be with limitations.

The Red zone is a no go, restricted airspace, unless you are the Gupta's or someone.

post-4352-0-05770600-1588174384_thumb.jpg

Looking to sell my mavic Air 1 combo for that price if you are interested. 

I fully agree.  But the price point is still a tad high for me. 

I can't remember the price for the Mini, but my upper ceiling is about R15k.  

Europe has removed the weight of the drones. In portugal or Netherlands I need license to fly. 

In the USA the regulation is for 250g or more in weight, the mini comes in at 249g so it slips by. I think its similar for Europe

Here is the DJI link as promised, it has the restricted zones per country.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Just pick your country and drone from the list.

But remember these zones are in line with FAA regulations and local laws might differ.

I am in Mosselbay, according to the Western Cape No-Fly zone, I cant fly here because of the tiny little airport just about 10km outside of town and I mean tiny.  There might be one or two Cessnas landing here in a month and the rest use George Airport.

attachicon.gifcapture2.jpg

According to the FAA, which the DJI app is regulated by, this little airport means jack.

Stay out of the landing and take off flight path and you are good to go, also stay below 120m.

attachicon.gifcapture3.jpg

With a huge airport like CapeTown, things are different again.  You can fly in the approaching and landing flight path, outside of the 10km, but you are restricted to 80m I think.

attachicon.gifcapture4.jpg

With DJI linked to FAA, this means the drone is programmed accordingly?  Meaning it will actually lift off if you try and fly in a Grey/Blue Zone?  

Edited by Underachiever

Looking to sell my mavic Air 1 combo for that price if you are interested. 

Thanks

Let's see how quickly we can get the world back to normal.  Will go and see what the combo entails.

With DJI linked to FAA, this means the drone is programmed accordingly?  Meaning it will actually lift off if you try and fly in a Grey/Blue Zone?  

Yup, no luck there bud.  I could not even get the engines started whilst indoors in my own home in Centurion for a test flight.  So I just moved!  :lol:

The DJI link I sent, seems to be an overview.  Once the app is open on your device it is fine tuned a bit further.  Here is a screenshot, not the best example to explain because of this crappy airport but lemme try. 

I can takeoff from where I am at right now and fly into first yellow zone, I will get a warning notification on the app that I am entering airspace with a tick box that you are aware and accept responsibility and that you wont fly higher than 120m (or whatever it is).

Same thing when entering the second yellow/orange zone, notification on the app, further limitations 100m (or whatever)

Once you get to the blue or red zones, that is a no go, the drone wont even enter that zone.  It is like there is an invisible fence in the sky, it just hangs there.  I have not tried that myself and I try and avoid these zone from the start but there is a guy on youtube Drone Xfactor that made a video about this. He flew his drone straight at the blue zone and it just stopped mid air, would not go in.  (Pretty good actually, I think)

So around Cape Town Airport for example, there will be two more zones around the Blue zone, a dark and a light orange/yellow zone.

post-4352-0-90882700-1588229779_thumb.jpg

Yesterday it felt like Mother Nature was giving us a welcome back party of note.

Had to whip the drone out, this was shot on the Mavic Mini.

(Except for the timelapse in the beginning, that was GoPro)

What do you guys recon?

With the newly added Manual video settings, the Mini has just stepped up a notch in my opinion.

(Shot for that DJI!)

Yesterday it felt like Mother Nature was giving us a welcome back party of note.

Had to whip the drone out, this was shot on the Mavic Mini.

(Except for the timelapse in the beginning, that was GoPro)

What do you guys recon?

With the newly added Manual video settings, the Mini has just stepped up a notch in my opinion.

(Shot for that DJI!)

https://youtu.be/yzkfMRwJHKo

What editing software do you use and do you apload directly to YouTube from your editing app or do you render and save the video to your pc first and then upload it to YouTube?

What editing software do you use and do you apload directly to YouTube from your editing app or do you render and save the video to your pc first and then upload it to YouTube?

I use Adobe Premiere Pro, download everything to pc, edit, colourgrade, add music etc, export and then upload to Yourtube.  I export in HD 1080p but it seems the higher you export the higher quality your video will automatically playback on Youtube.  4k seems to have the best results.  

If you want to you could download directly to your phone from the drone, DJI has a very nice editing app for quick edits and uploads!  Especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere or not close to your pc and want to upload a quick vid or photo to your social channels.

But I am spoiled with all the functions of Premiere so I prefer using it.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro, download everything to pc, edit, colourgrade, add music etc, export and then upload to Yourtube.  I export in HD 1080p but it seems the higher you export the higher quality your video will automatically playback on Youtube.  4k seems to have the best results.  

If you want to you could download directly to your phone from the drone, DJI has a very nice editing app for quick edits and uploads!  Especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere or not close to your pc and want to upload a quick vid or photo to your social channels.

But I am spoiled with all the functions of Premiere so I prefer using it.

I use Final Cut Pro, after editing i save it locally first on the drive  (i don't upload it directly from Final Cut Pro to YouTube) and then only after it's finished i upload the .m4v file to YouTube.

I'm asking because i noticed when viewing your videos there are some pixelation and I'm sure if you view the actual files on your pc there's no pixelation.

I use Final Cut Pro, after editing i save it locally first on the drive  (i don't upload it directly from Final Cut Pro to YouTube) and then only after it's finished i upload the .m4v file to YouTube.

I'm asking because i noticed when viewing your videos there are some pixelation and I'm sure if you view the actual files on your pc there's no pixelation.

Yup, I noticed it too, not sure what is causing that.  One particular bit where I was flying into the sun, low over the water.  The original footage is not great to be honest, the shutterspeed was waaaay to high to compensate for the bright sunlight... that would be my guess.

But yea, I save to my local drive too and then upload to youtube from there, not through Premiere.

I have seen that some of the guys that upload 4k videos, when you start watching it would start at 1080p automatically and you can go to a higher res from there.  My 1080p videos sometimes start at something freekin low like 240p and you have to up the res to get a better view.  Kinda annoying.

Let me know what you think of this one please!

I set myself a challenge.

1.  Compile a video, showcasing one specific location.

2.  Use only footage that I have already shot.

3.  Must be between 3 to 5 minutes long.

Notes:

1.  Showcasing a location is not that easy, since there is no subject but it is the subject. (I think the bridge kinda became my subject.

2.  I been to this spot twice since we were allowed to exercise so it seemed like a good spot.

3.  Much harder than I thought filling 3 to 5 minutes without very long stretched out scenes.

4.  I almost shat meself here a couple of times, water, brigde, tight spaces and wind pushing me all over the place but we came out in one piece! :D

post-4352-0-63056000-1588871749_thumb.jpg

5.  Wanted to see if I can improve the pixelation issue we talked about, exported it as it was shot. In 2.7K and it seems the quality it automatically loads when you start play in youtube, is better, yaaah!!  :D

6.  Everything was shot on the Mavic Mini

Oh ja you probably want to see the video...