• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one the crashed... :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

No, the new one... it only had a slight "encounter" with a tree once! :lol:

The rest of the time I only flew to church and back on Sundays! :D

If you havent crashed your drone yet, it is only because you haven't flown it yet! :lol: :lol:

Just make sure you have the correct license when using for work. 

I have a air 1 and loved it until travelling with it became a no fly zone. 
cant fly in Europe, north america or 99% of the countries I travel to. 

Now I only use it for trips in SA

Not that I have any money, my work and income came to a complete halt the day before the Epic was supposed to start.   With events being my main source of income, I dont think events will be back on the card until Aug or September.

But this will be a business tool for me, make money with some of my other tools and make sure it becomes a tool that can pay itself off.  :D

Good tip, will do.  I plan on expanding into other areas of video & photography and would need a commercial license for that anyway.  Does not look like I will be earning an income with sport events any time soon!

I am also thinking about keeping the Mavic Mini and using that as a travel drone to get a couple of touristy snap shots, it is so small, quiet and easy to get shots without making a big noticeable fuss.

Obviously, when I travel for work, then the big guns with all the paperwork would be in order.

It seems that the guys with the Mini's seems to fly under the radar with much less issues in some parts of the world than with the bigger drones.   Generalizing a bit but I will check out aviation laws of the country in mind beforehand for sure. 

The issues of licencing have stopped my ideas of having a drone for semi commercial purposes - I wouldn't charge directly for the service but it would be very useful to myself and my clients to have regular and affordable air photographs.

So I will watch your comment around licencing closely.

The issues of licencing have stopped my ideas of having a drone for semi commercial purposes - I wouldn't charge directly for the service but it would be very useful to myself and my clients to have regular and affordable air photographs.

So I will watch your comment around licencing closely.

Those license are dammed expensive.

For what I have in mind, I can do some work in the new area with my current equipment and hopefully make enough cash quickly to get the drone license in place. I dont need drone footage to get started and can add that to my offering larer on and it is just too big of an outlay to buy a new drone and license right now... but with everything that is going on, it sounds much quicker on paper that it will probably be! :lol:

Its a lot more drone than the previous air was. Its now a properly high end drone.

I fully agree.  But the price point is still a tad high for me. 

I can't remember the price for the Mini, but my upper ceiling is about R15k.  

I need to understand where one can and cannot fly a bit better.

Once the world has normalised again, we are off the Provence (Cote D'Azur), Italy and Swiss.  Plenty of stuff to video with a drone.  And there are lots on Youtube already.  I don't want to take a drone, only to be snookered by no fly zones

Once the world has normalised again, we are off the Provence (Cote D'Azur), Italy and Swiss.  Plenty of stuff to video with a drone.  And there are lots on Youtube already.  I don't want to take a drone, only to be snookered by no fly zones

Here is DJI's explenation https://content.dji.com/why-did-dji-create-a-249-gram-drone/

I fully agree. But the price point is still a tad high for me.

Flymore Combo for the Mini is R9k

Once the world has normalised again, we are off the Provence (Cote D'Azur), Italy and Swiss. Plenty of stuff to video with a drone. And there are lots on Youtube already. I don't want to take a drone, only to be snookered by no fly zones

I will forward you a link when back on the pc or Google DJI no fly zones for a map of where the DJI zones are.

Keep in mind that local laws might differ. In Centurion with Zwartkops and Waterkloof close by, I could not even get the Mini to take off indoors, only way to fly was to move out of the zone.

Then in another spot out in the sticks, not naming it, I can fly pretty close to a small airstrip as long as you stay out of the approaching flight path, the app actually blocks you and limits your height, which is a good thing. By close I mean within 5km from the strip, unstead of the usual 10km, didnt do anything crazy.

Also the FAA regulations are slightly different than the Civilian Aviation law here, the FAA have fine tuned the regulations around airport much better than we have here. Depending on the size and traffic of the airport, you can now actually fly a lot closer to some airports than that was previously allowed, with limitations of course.

Check on the DJI map and also check the local aviation map, should give you a good idea beforehand where you can and cannot fly.

Edited by Tankman

Last I saw...

For WC: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/general-publication/no-fly-zones-drones

Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1dysv62Uj_lMC07jtE99-x8iRVNU&ll=-29.933050804024422%2C37.17026153536813&z=5

ND filters included with the Flymore Combo, that is a bonus!

Never needed them on the Mini, that was until yesterday.

With the new firmware update on the Mini, we finally have Manual control in Video mode!! :D :D

Yeah I saw that update, its really cool to actually be able to use an ND and it does something.

I fully agree.  But the price point is still a tad high for me. 

A mini would be a good bet in that price range. Otherwise a 2nd hand or heavily discounted new air1 should fit. Im expecting there will be clearance sales once the air2 is in stock.

A mini would be a good bet in that price range. Otherwise a 2nd hand or heavily discounted new air1 should fit. Im expecting there will be clearance sales once the air2 is in stock.

droneworld have a repaired fly more combo unit with 6 month guarantee for R13k