Show your Momsen STR & STF Thread

Hairy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TDFN said:

How do you guys keep your bikes so pristine and chip free? all my bikes have chips, dings and nicks in the first month and they just keep getting more and more. Stone chips from riding where MTB's should be ridden. Do these bikes ever go proper offroad?

Well, the first line of my post mentions that it is a Recently completed XL Momsen STR build. So haven't done any riding on it yet. Best time to take photos of the bike is just after the build is complete, wouldn't you agree?

1 hour ago, TDFN said:

How do you guys keep your bikes so pristine and chip free? all my bikes have chips, dings and nicks in the first month and they just keep getting more and more. Stone chips from riding where MTB's should be ridden. Do these bikes ever go proper offroad?

Mine has pretty much become my go to bike,, especially when things get muddy. Next stop 4 weeks on the Wild Coast. When I advertise it in "as new" condition for sale one day - please don't quote this post! 

2 hours ago, CorG said:

Thanks!
I personally don't see the point of a singlespeed mtb. Sliding dropouts does not force you to go singlespeed, just provides you with the option. So I might one day see your side of things and then switch, easy peasy. :)

If running geared, the sliding drop outs allow you to play with wheel base and the rear end length .... it is really interesting in the difference in feel when shift a couple of mm forwards or backwards.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, TKG said:

Finally finished… well kind of.

Currently running on 650b wheels, as haven’t been able to find a decent set of 29s yet. 

• Lyne AMP bars and stem (780/35)
  • Lyne dropper
  • Lyne Pulse Crankset 
  • SRAM GX 1x 11, 11-42
  • Rockshox Recon forks
  • SRAM Guide RS brakes w/ 180mm rotors 
  • Lyne JB02HE hubs on Ritchey WCS rims

Rides like an absolute dream, haven’t really tested it on anything technical.

283092AD-BCFF-4008-BE7B-16C51831749A.jpeg

And now with 29” wheels and some tan walls!

40A43480-A98A-47D8-82CD-3A01E0329C44.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, NC said:

Do both together.

post-24450-0-60187400-1619884283_thumb.jpg

Only saw this now. If you ever want to sell that bike, please let me know as it's exactly what I want. Even if you have a number that might persuade you to sell it, let me know that too 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really stoked to be able to post in this thread finally!

I've been lusting after an STR for some time now. It ticked many of my boxes:

• Locally supplied.
  • Rare.
  • Had the geo numbers that seemed to fit me perfectly and was one of my targets when I was looking at a short travel hardtail trail bike, but then I bought the Stache as I couldn't find a good STR at the time.
  • Had a steel gravel bike, and wholly bought into the Steel is Real lifestyle. Made me want an STR again/even more.
  • Its matte green. Green bikes are scientifically the fastest (yes, even faster than red).

I've been loving my gravel bikes for the last while, but I always ended up pushing them a bit too hard (plenty of dinged rims, weeping sidewalls, worn forks) on my off-piste adventures. So when this turned up in the classifieds I summarily sold my fancy-schmancy gravel bike:

IlWS33fF_2TYXikYISf-k-7JbMIf7uYORUV_YQAMusQ86PdeXVqcTnvtx5o1Pe1tl33KbZ6KrS1fRHFwxgfElAHmdbL8l5bFUYdJPeITsoG4mJYAtufYW7kTKQD4YPMANRNUwqxqLBGfxiXHZ7d_FAy_u9XhGpNr7jVpvAZAoI0KZaPq3QkyBSTqovBYXkqaHTth8jDVLmon7gp10cq1yGcT8TeZKzx3UPJMzqITbihcJm7bDcq_RxYQSNezaIBjI_q1SOUD-BXurZ76BIRKT_g4d8kWE96M1_crHLcc9Gi1zsxbV78-0yHrwtZt3Fi9U0bLkKbURklmSMOmf82GjeUNeUPwh-3YUcKHMPLDf9cz-hb4i3rwBTDJaN9HtOGZWHg1EZRf8g8Rd4X51P5z_fqy4zfhk26gWnJ5OaGO8eWcfgpxVLgpTP9x2jRhDvEi9dqf2OxN-S6gpbvQ6CNsoeuriqNVPIuz9_rJuTueEWWpzqfjkwigXuPbspmmnSTDCcFfLVdpg5VX1QrcCt8K1dC0O2Uj-eVUB73RDFPyQ4ZYpN_so1cOJmj1fFCXmVNsNvyTlWKwILoEBsABmqwl4FaRn9J4jKsRNR5oYJ4QtJKeFW4vbQPrX08bPa8oTk-sT59YdElj89gC_woj7yFuDIsg9KR7F2zeyCJoJtvaRKqJ3b8NlaVL1sgaBEEYokOibUfM1fIg8OYvXp2t8Q=w1238-h929-no?authuser=0

It was a proper hodgepodge of components, but it had the skeleton of what I believe is going to be my personal quiver killer.

When I showed my wife the first picture, she furrowed her brow slightly and said "But your gravel bike is much prettier. This looks like a Dunlop tennisball or an ad for Wimbledon". So it was officially dubbed Tennisball.

Some wheeling and dealing later, it's been transformed into Tennisball V2:

aNYw4nEdF1gFExdqDzzWlouBbIUSIEk5OpiqRhFO2tcEb-F1e49e0fdLLK-xR_5zrc0UspHpn5Kh32pD61CLIGqSwRs2IMQrRfwXnb9bzaxYXmOiMSTm2IRjg_irPEmtigN96QvWfF6OFWyt_jm6_Knq3hdIZH-r0Ae94BInYMKDnkH98NHFa6z4mdRq-ZJF0ox1oQNwKLSzyKu28xtnmwBTXMfIEr3zp2B5qfpSgByHv_aEQ_GI631Xm-TauWsbAe6idafTPInI5Wu1VWkOkGQNAYCGQqs8D67piuEXWMDRfFI1BxE9e_9YpvLiA9IxgYst1KEJcvwztjfeXjxwIwCO8uuYHhAqDmGoAJs1ylPquJuJt1o8qkJGzqtZ-pg9hIXuX-Xko-xyAoxLaMFHy4z6XnhM99HB8KG9F1xROjFRYdUjyQhyepj3E3KS5ImEy5y074XNvNOLiAlvLUe6wvvvf9JPUcMCTeVC2JZl5qAXsbtGkRLaf5QR_PBGg-MiFJczWq5r0wjxXlJjG-SajQMvD1wF_qt-eiTrqPqASz2y1SmpjUHwq5bKfdUOGwcmPSyLmnArY0dCiHnQ2ffNBzsJoPydoDs4YBKYqlr0Okq0YD8LXyLuXv6Xj3VEpeRnlHuB30CA11i5jDXBs1ymeFbgGnU_AicqTa4XmOkmO4X3IGzGcZglzQEkC7XFmnNLkgQYyAGLY1vMnXnQtg=w1238-h929-no?authuser=0

Q8ck0zpTGsOYAA6S2bWDfRz0LHajHWvETtBY46HJ3F1h7DRdia7VA4-OwM1pfUC6wPmT7hp3U8pG1yD1GywPqTJ7iFx34dmguFIGriYqQezuX6-cFOBUTlonfXUzVm6RBW9goBDLjNUL6W9mgCsyvT5XBpOvj999b6vv52z--aPIHHEpZ-YHHTWJ9CStVGhMZYpaVLdFoUr--utSNg5HGOsSZUiuzEPvDBc0AhI9Hhe7hiGn1SSjIUt9bnMnGcQlzzHxTcSZxotl12axK5_ib-_6yLKHsO3NIYZPO9AmAm-kEkqtO_oQhJUdj1aR6TwQH_ORNgTXk_9IfR2KjGFB8TTtSgPzqeHWTsv0DoG0M59eD9mgzqznck5_-2de6UkYW97EV_xlKZT6UxyFBzm9qpJrc1IOoQFgbgJ9rB0FACyjlV_gkmqHxfLA_xSLFYPEQs0OlUwJihE84MTSIm9CPLG-bgB86qyCaWE9XyIfI4pg1DAF-vbqU6wGobW7JuteqZCDpWBqWSFwjr7JExMUXmJ94x2zgapFh8cRnjAmvSPSfPetz6dZqes89QPp3ZspG4QvLnRnWi23FJz8R3esHOWFFTK3vwJFzRnpFqkxq4-42RpDX5sNnAYXpkiwCk-xxcJTgT0qk5keQIbxT_F-_onAFM5L1QRmNHO4IZ25T7u8bltDNCPRqOxiBsWV0fRJkQhadipkX2KQUQJPRQ=w1238-h929-no?authuser=0

Only finished the build last night, but in the quick shakedown I've done I'm already beyond stoked. With the wheel upgrades and rigid fork I've shaved off 1.4kg to the front end. Don't care about the overall weight, but this translates into it feeling very agile and responsive to inputs. Get out of the saddle and it hurtles forward.

Has a 125mm dropper on and some 2.35 Rekon Races on 25mm Rapide wheels, so WAY more trail ability than the gravel bike but without being a boat anchor on the commute there and back. Steel frame means I don't have to worry about every stone that touches the downtube and there's a real sense of compliance (if the Scout was anything to go by).

After a lot of experimenting with different bikes I think I'm getting close to my personal one-bike-to-rule-them-all. First bike in a while that really feels like its mine and has some real personality to it.

Edited by TyronLab

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 7:16 PM, TKG said:

And now with 29” wheels and some tan walls!

40A43480-A98A-47D8-82CD-3A01E0329C44.jpeg

I liked the 650B looks more. But very nice build. How tall is your wife?

I made a big mistake when i sold my previous steel bike, and have been eyeing the classifieds and gumtree the last couple of weeks to a frame again. looked at niner, cotic, kona etc, but seems flippen expensive to get a frame here, and the guys who has them dont sell them. 

So i am thinking, nice momsen monstercross build.... But like stated earlier, not to much feedback on these, but i like the price.  

43 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

I made a big mistake when i sold my previous steel bike, and have been eyeing the classifieds and gumtree the last couple of weeks to a frame again. looked at niner, cotic, kona etc, but seems flippen expensive to get a frame here, and the guys who has them dont sell them. 

So i am thinking, nice momsen monstercross build.... But like stated earlier, not to much feedback on these, but i like the price.  

Try http://mercerbikes.co.za/  or https://www.rapide.co.za/product-category/frames/