Show your Momsen STR & STF Thread

Hairy

30 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Would you say they are better than the momsens or just more options? 

Cant really say , I cant get an STR in my size so these are local options , both well spoken of  but I have no personal experience and have not pulled trigger yet. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Well a Mercer would be objectively better imo and way more expensive. Custom as well as proper columbus tubing and craftmsnship.
Rapide is better because of the versatility, more modern geometry etc. That frame can anything, and with any axle standard/tyre size  you choose. The str/stf is rekatively dated by now imo.

4 hours ago, Allrounder said:

With the Mercer your options are really limitless 

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Well a Mercer would be objectively better imo and way more expensive. Custom as well as proper columbus tubing and craftmsnship.
Rapide is better because of the versatility, more modern geometry etc. That frame can anything, and with any axle standard/tyre size  you choose. The str/stf is rekatively dated by now imo.

What he said

so rather spend the 4 grand extra and get the rapide? That makes things easy just buy everything there, haha

Wonder what my alu trek is worth these days.......

57 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

so rather spend the 4 grand extra and get the rapide? That makes things easy just buy everything there, haha

Wonder what my alu trek is worth these days.......

there is one or two frames in teh classifieds i think...around 7k. size L

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

there is one or two frames in teh classifieds i think...around 7k. size L

Thanks Ill have a look. Just threw one together on rapides website and looks like a 25k exercise, excluding brakes and pedals. 

How does this compare to a mecer?  

7 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Thanks Ill have a look. Just threw one together on rapides website and looks like a 25k exercise, excluding brakes and pedals. 

You will pay that for just the frame for a Mercer, although when I visited Dave last time he had a pre build 650B big trail hardtail in stock he was hoping to sell for 12k

Actually came here to ask - what is the attraction of the STF/STR over a rapide?

I've got myself a rapide, and my dad has been looking for a steel build for a while - but he seems to be more leaning to cotic/str over the rapide. 

2 minutes ago, Nic Brigando said:

Actually came here to ask - what is the attraction of the STF/STR over a rapide?

I've got myself a rapide, and my dad has been looking for a steel build for a while - but he seems to be more leaning to cotic/str over the rapide. 

How do you find your rapide? I had a contraband. the only bike is miss even it was a size to big for me

Just now, Allrounder said:

How do you find your rapide? I had a contraband. the only bike is miss even it was a size to big for me

Honestly love it. Been grappling with the price and wanting that dual-sus, carbon race feel, and even regrettably put it up for sale a couple times over the last few months when I had no time to ride or needed a bank boost, but I am incredibly glad to not have sold it. 

@Allrounder what size do you need/want and what do you want to build?

I would say the Rapide has much more modern Geo and is much longer.

The Momsen has more conservative angles and measurements but definitely has a place. 

If you aren't shredding steep, technical trails but want a BMXy feeling bike then I'd not buy a Rapide. 

The thing about bikes for hackers (I regard myself as a hacker too) is that 'feel' trumps anything. The bigger the smile, the better the bike. 

Long, low and slack is definitely where it's at these days, but sometimes you don't want a super stable, planted fast bike. 

Fun beats performance for me. 

I have a ROS9. It's somewhere in between

Nice, The long of the rapide is a bit of a concern as i am planning a monster build. The  curly bars makes the bike very long..... thinking of nice chunky tyres and rigid fork. 

Long gravel roads and helderberg trails is where ill be. and some rides with roadies, showing that nobblys can be more fun on tar than 30mm slick tyres

BUT after looking at Mercer's website i am wondering if i should just get a steel MTB..... price dependent of course. 

2 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Nice, The long of the rapide is a bit of a concern as i am planning a monster build. The  curly bars makes the bike very long..... thinking of nice chunky tyres and rigid fork. 

Long gravel roads and helderberg trails is where ill be. and some rides with roadies, showing that nobblys can be more fun on tar than 30mm slick tyres

BUT after looking at Mercer's website i am wondering if i should just get a steel MTB..... price dependent of course. 

What size are you? Height etc?

I might have the perfect Monster Cross frame and fork for you.... It even has bottle bosses on the fork legs and Internal routing for a dropper.

I've got it built up as a commuter now

If you're interested let me know. Steel frame and fork

2 hours ago, Allrounder said:

I have a Rapide and I would say 25k for a Rapide bike is worth it.  

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

What size are you? Height etc?

I might have the perfect Monster Cross frame and fork for you.... It even has bottle bosses on the fork legs and Internal routing for a dropper.

I've got it built up as a commuter now

If you're interested let me know. Steel frame and fork

I am 1,78. if always had large frames but think a medium would actually fit better. 

Do you want to sell your FARR frame and fork?

4 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

I am 1,78. if always had large frames but think a medium would actually fit better. 

Do you want to sell your FARR frame and fork?

No no no.... I don't own a FARR anything.

This is an old Steel MTB Frame with beautifully shaped steel chain stays and an EBB to make it super fun as a SS or adjust relative SA. 

NINER steel fork with added bottle bosses.

Drop me a whattsapp if you want me to send you some pictures