Show your Momsen STR & STF Thread

Hairy

Yo Yo fellow Riff Raff

The thread is what is said on the heading ... show your STR & STF!

There are the odd few Momsen threads here, but nothing specifically for the STR & STF builds.

Some pics of mine ... and have to also get my act together to update these pics in the near future.

I also know of a couple of STR's that have not been posting pics here on Le'Bike"Hubbberland ... so please ladies and gent's post your Pitcha's here for us all to enjoy.

post-5403-0-56314800-1586102432.jpeg

post-5403-0-54999100-1591705694_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh shoot - we will have to start our own STF club then :whistling:

ok ok ... heading changed and you STF lot of trouble makers are included now

ok ok ... heading changed and you STF lot of trouble makers are included now

Thanks Hairy - what can we say we are special

First post in quite some time but what the hell ... I'll bite. 

I still need to decide on tires and most of the kit on it is ancient as I stripped my beloved Niner MCR but I guess it's just a matter of time before the upgrades begin. 

The Donor Bike:

post-3611-0-22800600-1591729898_thumb.jpg

The itch that became a swipe:

post-3611-0-15101000-1591730001_thumb.png

post-3611-0-62057600-1591730051_thumb.jpg

I present to you: The Snozzcumber

Momsen STR frame, Fox 34 fork, Lyne 780 bars and 50mm stem and the rest some old XT kit and ZTR wheelset and some ancient tyres pirated off my Niner MCR ... I think these wheels are still from my On One Inbred SS from many moons ago and this is the 4th bike they're on with no hassles whatsoever so they've done well. 

The frame arrived with a weird mat finish which had a strange feel to it and I wasn't sure I liked so I used some rubbing compound and polish and gave it a bit of a gloss look .. it was an improvement in my opinion.

I still need to change tyres and I'm sure the itch after that will extend to the groupset and brakes ...  maybe a dropper.

Not sure if I'll go all out on this one as it's meant to be a second bike to muck about with but you know how it goes ....

Tyre clearance at the back is pretty tight but I'm sure it'll fit a modest 2.3, the fork is unbelievable and has a relatively short axle to crown height for the travel so does not seem to throw the geometry out ... had a decent time coming down Helderberg Trails this evening so all in all I am very happy! 

post-3611-0-68197200-1591730467_thumb.jpg

post-3611-0-57784600-1591730447_thumb.jpg

I present to you: The Snozzcumber

Momsen STR frame, Fox 34 fork, Lyne 780 bars and 50mm stem and the rest some old XT kit and ZTR wheelset and some ancient tyres pirated off my Niner MCR ... I think these wheels are still from my On One Inbred SS from many moons ago and this is the 4th bike they're on with no hassles whatsoever so they've done well. 

The frame arrived with a weird mat finish which had a strange feel to it and I wasn't sure I liked so I used some rubbing compound and polish and gave it a bit of a gloss look .. it was an improvement in my opinion.

I still need to change tyres and I'm sure the itch after that will extend to the groupset and brakes ...  maybe a dropper.

Not sure if I'll go all out on this one as it's meant to be a second bike to muck about with but you know how it goes ....

Tyre clearance at the back is pretty tight but I'm sure it'll fit a modest 2.3, the fork is unbelievable and has a relatively short axle to crown height for the travel so does not seem to throw the geometry out ... had a decent time coming down Helderberg Trails this evening so all in all I am very happy! 

attachicon.gifIMG_5929.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5930.jpg

That looks really good!

There was a rider out at Eden on the Bay with a green frame and 140mm fork .. he also really liked the setup like that.

I am running a 2.4" ardent on a 22mm internal width rim, the clearance of the tyre when the wheel is in the middle of the drop outs is still decent ... if you shorten the wheel base with the drop outs closer to the seat stays, then the tyre rubs on the LHS chain stay.

If this were to become my only bike, I would run a 2.3" aggressor on the rear with a 2.3" DHR on the front for fun.

That looks really good!

There was a rider out at Eden on the Bay with a green frame and 140mm fork .. he also really liked the setup like that.

I am running a 2.4" ardent on a 22mm internal width rim, the clearance of the tyre when the wheel is in the middle of the drop outs is still decent ... if you shorten the wheel base with the drop outs closer to the seat stays, then the tyre rubs on the LHS chain stay.

If this were to become my only bike, I would run a 2.3" aggressor on the rear with a 2.3" DHR on the front for fun.

Ya I need a fatter tyre to create a bit of cushioning at the back end, these hardtails deliver a hammering when you've become soft and lazy riding duallies and used to the speeds they allow you to carry through the rough.

TYGA, I need to add that my love for the Olive Green and Yellow combo stems from my first decent MTB that I bought when just out of school and working at an LBS.

The amazing Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 1996

post-5403-0-23990100-1591783087_thumb.jpg

Here she is on my first MTB race, also the very first day I cycled with Clipless Pedals. After this ride, the Quadra 21 R was just never the same again!

post-5403-0-84400300-1591783169_thumb.jpg

At least we got a bag of oranges for the effort of doing the Citrusdal Race ... that was still when local communities arranged the races, and there was an awesome vibe. The race ran in conjunction with their local festival.

s-l1600.jpg

Not my bike, but a better resolution of one off the net ..... if anyone has a frame or bike like this, please please let me know! It was the biggest mistake ever to sell it, but the wife (girlfriend back then) and I had moved in together and we needed a fridge, but did not have any cash :(

TYGA, I need to add that my love for the Olive Green and Yellow combo stems from my first decent MTB that I bought when just out of school and working at an LBS.

attachicon.gifGFHOEK.jpg

Here she is on my first MTB race, also the very first day I cycled with Clipless Pedals. After this ride, the Quadra 21 R was just never the same again!

attachicon.gifGFHOEK2.jpg

At least we got a bag of oranges for the effort of doing the Citrusdal Race ... that was still when local communities arranged the races, and there was an awesome vibe. The race ran in conjunction with their local festival.

s-l1600.jpg

Not my bike, but a better resolution of one off the net ..... if anyone has a frame or bike like this, please please let me know! It was the biggest mistake ever to sell it, but the wife (girlfriend back then) and I had moved in together and we needed a fridge, but did not have any cash :(

Nooit...a bag of oranges and no medal!

Nooit...a bag of oranges and no medal!

I am sure there was ... but the oranges are worth more :P

attachicon.gifGFHOEK.jpg

attachicon.gifGFHOEK2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Oh no!!! Not the oranges again?  :whistling:

Oh no!!! Not the oranges again?  :whistling:

Hey ... you were at that race too if memory serves!