Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

Good morning, we recently moved to to Tokai, I love MTB but my wife is more of a jogger/hiker. I am looking to get the activity pass but on the SANParks website it says that the activity pass does not cover running/hiking? Also we would like to train swinning in the silvermine dam but there is also no mention of swimming in the activity pass? 

Could someone please help a newbie out? It also seems like the wild card only grants you access to the parks and then you are also not allowed to do any activities so that also seems to be a no go for us?

If you run/hike to the dam, just you and your wife, you don't need an activity permit. If you guys have dogs which you take then you will need a level 3.

I swim in the dam a lot. It is almost exactly 400m from dam wall to marsh. 

Obviously if you want to drive to the dam you will need to pay at the gate OR have a green card. Where it gets tricky is that if you have an activity card, you can load the bikes in the back, enter with your activity cards, leave the bikes in the car and go swimming. But you can't enter with an activity card to go swimming.

I hope that makes sense........

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you run/hike to the dam, just you and your wife, you don't need an activity permit. If you guys have dogs which you take then you will need a level 3.

I swim in the dam a lot. It is almost exactly 400m from dam wall to marsh. 

Obviously if you want to drive to the dam you will need to pay at the gate OR have a green card. Where it gets tricky is that if you have an activity card, you can load the bikes in the back, enter with your activity cards, leave the bikes in the car and go swimming. But you can't enter with an activity card to go swimming.

I hope that makes sense........

Is that the "black dam" (colour of the water that is)?

Is that the "black dam" (colour of the water that is)?

Silvermine dam.... The one that you ride up to if you want to ride Donkey trail and ride around if you go up to noordhoek peak.

Good morning, we recently moved to to Tokai, I love MTB but my wife is more of a jogger/hiker. I am looking to get the activity pass but on the SANParks website it says that the activity pass does not cover running/hiking? Also we would like to train swinning in the silvermine dam but there is also no mention of swimming in the activity pass? 

Could someone please help a newbie out? It also seems like the wild card only grants you access to the parks and then you are also not allowed to do any activities so that also seems to be a no go for us?

get the activity card whether you riding or not

its basically free access to Silvermine and tokai.

back in my Tri days I use to use to run and swim at Silvermine and accessed at the gate with my car without bringing any bikes.

Green card has a limited number of entries where as your activity card is all year round.

• 1 month later...