Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

wonder how tokai is the day after it rains?

was considering riding tomorrow, will it be too wet/muddy still?

A bit late with this but the trails (not the jeeptrack) were running really well today.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a firm no, we are still waiting on SANParks to remove the fallen trees.

We are rapidly getting to the point of 'sod the danger, I'm having a pop at this myself, what's the worst that could happen...'

thanks!!

Might add that Patrick and his crew has done a lot over the last 2 years to address drainage from the trails.

Sadly not too much they can do to the sections along the farm roads ... we encounter more mudd along these sections than in the trails itself.

B Spot was always a swamp land .... and a mess after heavy rains, for many days as water kept on draining into it .... they are busy with an ambitious project to protect this section from the rain ... hope they do get it right.

Last week I encountered way more on two sections of veld on the way to the trails, than on the trails itself.

RESPECT to Patrick and his team

The difference is that after the fire all the Tokai trails were built with a pro-active mindset towards drainage and erosion issues. Whereas Patrick and Co is fighting a reactive battle to get the trails drainage sorted. A lot of the older TMTB trails were also built in a time when no one thought of drainage and erosion, whereas Tokai could use the lessons learned elsewhere.

Another case of drainage being a big issue is Oak Valley (also a wine farm with clay based trails,) they found it cheaper to just close the trails for a couple of days and lose gate fees, than the amount spent on fixing it up after being ridden in rain.

And as DJR pointed out, certain soul types just drain better, period. My favourite type of trails when it's wet is rake and ride style trails in pine forests, but you won't find sommer find them near CT anymore.

A bit late with this but the trails (not the jeeptrack) were running really well today.

Tokai was awesome today, however was section of the mamba that had a proper 20cm deep mudpool that you couldn't avoid, straight plant into it around blind corner.

Saw fellow mtbiker face plant too, as came off slight drop into abit of mud and front wheels gave way.

But still, trails were super great, excellent work done on them.

Was packed aswell around 9am

Tokai was awesome today, however was section of the mamba that had a proper 20cm deep mudpool that you couldn't avoid, straight plant into it around blind corner.

Saw fellow mtbiker face plant too, as came off slight drop into abit of mud and front wheels gave way.

But still, trails were super great, excellent work done on them.

Was packed aswell around 9am

There's a nasty mud pool after Rinkals just before you start climbing out... Unwisely, I tried to ride through slowly... Front wheel just stopped!

Found myself balancing on the front wheel for a nervous moment but managed to get the back wheel down and not go over the bars!  :lol:

Yeah that mud pool after Rinkals caught me out yesterday...

I got my front wheel jammed and went OTB. Luckily just costed me a swim and blow to the ego. That is a serious hazard tho and i recon someone will not be so lucky soon and will get hurt.

I had noted to the oke in Tokai bakkie (not Deon) on my way out yesterday.

Yeah that mud pool after Rinkals caught me out yesterday...

I got my front wheel jammed and went OTB. Luckily just costed me a swim and blow to the ego. That is a serious hazard tho and i recon someone will not be so lucky soon and will get hurt.

I had noted to the oke in Tokai bakkie (not Deon) on my way out yesterday.

Work has started on there and should be finished tomorrow.

SANParks will be carrying out increased activity card checks in Tokai (and presumably other parts of the park) from tomorrow.

Apparently a complaint was sent to their head office about the lack of checks by a cyclist.

Work has started on there and should be finished tomorrow.

awesome news, saw a picture of a guy knee deep in that pool on  the Tokai trails FaceBook page , luckily all of us only had ego damage :thumbup:

SANParks will be carrying out increased activity card checks in Tokai (and presumably other parts of the park) from tomorrow.

Apparently a complaint was sent to their head office about the lack of checks by a cyclist.

More like no checks in my experience - not once have i seen or asked to produce my card

hope they check dog walkers as well. At least cyclists don't sh i t all over the place.

hope they check dog walkers as well. At least cyclists don't sh i t all over the place.

While I am not a fan of said poop, humans (and especially cyclists) have a tendency to leave plastic packaging and other non natural stuff everywhere.

Dog poop, litter.... All sub groups are guilty

If they are in upper Tokai they will be asked to leave.

The duty rangers have also been asked by management to keep an eye out for runners and hikers using the MTB only trails but I'm not sure how well that will go.

In lower Tokai, where dogs are allowed, there will be a renewed effort to enforce the current rule of no more than two dogs per person.

If they are in upper Tokai they will be asked to leave.

The duty rangers have also been asked by management to keep an eye out for runners and hikers using the MTB only trails but I'm not sure how well that will go.

In lower Tokai, where dogs are allowed, there will be a renewed effort to enforce the current rule of no more than two dogs per person.

That’s not true they called joggers not runners !

While I am not a fan of said poop, humans (and especially cyclists) have a tendency to leave plastic packaging and other non natural stuff everywhere.

Dog poop, litter.... All sub groups are guilty

I am always amazed at how little litter is left by mbikers in the Tokai area.