Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

I see Headshot hasn't responded yet...

I'm assuming this on the 'propensity to crash' bit.

He has however already given the new number a practice call at 7am this morning, I have a feeling it is in slot one on his speed dialĀ  :devil:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder how tokai is the day after it rains?

Ā 

was considering riding tomorrow, will it be too wet/muddy still?

Ā 

Ā 

Should be fine drains pretty well.

Ā 

Yes there will be puddles mainly on the jeep tracks but single trails should be ok.

Ā 

Trails drain really well, can pretty much enjoy them in the rsin

Don't lie - it will be terrible! No-one should go thereĀ  :ph34r:

Hahahhaha, want trails all to yourself.

Ā 

Awesome gents, i shall be riding then

Should be fine drains pretty well.

Ā 

Yes there will be puddles mainly on the jeep tracks but single trails should be ok.

Goodstuff thanks man

The Tokai trails were built well, and with drainage in mind. Other than the wine farms in the N-Subs (Contermanskloof the exception) Tokai rides well after rain.

The Tokai trails were built well, and with drainage in mind. Other than the wine farms in the N-Subs (Contermanskloof the exception) Tokai rides well after rain.

Might add that Patrick and his crew has done a lot over the last 2 years to address drainage from the trails.

Ā 

Sadly not too much they can do to the sections along the farm roads ... we encounter more mudd along these sections than in the trails itself.

Ā 

B Spot was always a swamp land .... and a mess after heavy rains, for many days as water kept on draining into it .... they are busy with an ambitious project to protect this section from the rain ... hope they do get it right.

Ā 

Ā 

Last week I encountered way more on two sections of veld on the way to the trails, than on the trails itself.

Ā 

RESPECT to Patrick and his team

The vast majority of the Tokai and Table Mountain trails are built on sandy soil from degraded Table Mountain Sandstone. That is why it drains quickly but tends to wash away and make gullies. That is also why they get loose and sandy in summer when it is dry. Much of Tokai has now been purpose built for quick drainage and sustainability i.t.o. erosion. A lot of it has now also been lined with laterite, an aggregate that forms a nice solid surface and is pretty hard wearing. The real clay spots are few and far between. They have an orange appearance and in winter often show a slight green mossy growth. Avoid those few spots, they are as slippery as snot on a banana peel on a marble floor full of ball bearings.Ā  :)Ā  ;)

Edited by DJR

The vast majority of the Tokai and Table Mountain trails are built on sandy soil from degraded Table Mountain Sandstone. That is why it drains quickly but tends to wash away and make gullies. That is also why they get loose and sandy in summer when it is dry. Much of Tokai has now been purpose built for quick drainage and sustainability i.t.o. erosion. A lot of it has now also been lined with laterite, an aggregate that forms a nice solid surface and is pretty hard wearing. The real clay spots are few and far between. They have an orange appearance and in winter often show a slight green mossy growth. Avoid those few spots, they are as slippery as snot on a banana peel on a marble floor full of ball bearings.Ā  :)Ā  ;)

beautiful description of a slippery trail! LOL

Hahahhaha, want trails all to yourself.

Ā 

Awesome gents, i shall be riding then

Ā 

Of course notĀ  :blush:

Ā 

But seriously, Tokai is awesome at the moment. A few spots that are more worn than normal but that just adds a bit more of a challenge and definitely not dangerous if you're sensible about it.

Hi! Any update on switchbacks/bridle path?

That would be a firm no, we are still waiting on SANParks to remove the fallen trees.

We are rapidly getting to the point of 'sod the danger, I'm having a pop at this myself, what's the worst that could happen...'