saddles... what to buy

rudi-h

Thank you for the responses...

Any recommendations for good shops (I live in Rosebank, JHB) that have a good variety of saddles and who can possibly facilitate with some form of measurement / fitment methodology?

Go to your local. If you are in Rosebank that means Dunkeld Cycles (and as it happens, Richard Baxter has a fitting studio there with all the measuring and fitting technology that entails) and they have all sorts of options.

Or go and see Grant Usher at Sprocket and Jack who have moved to 6th Avenue, Parkhurst. Just down from the Shell garage.

Edited by eddy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend that you go get a proper saddle fit done. 

Find a store that has a pressure mapping system that will highlight your sit bones while you ride on your bike. 

If that is too pricey for your liking, most good stores should offer a satisfaction return for a bike fit items.

I know that Bontrager and Trek offer a 30 day Unconditional Bontrager Guarantee. 

If you want to buy a good saddle try the Aeolus comp saddle. It is a short nose saddle with a relief channel. there are multiple sizes available so if you are not comfortable you can exchange it for a different size or get your money back. 

Thank you for the responses...

Any recommendations for good shops (I live in Rosebank, JHB) that have a good variety of saddles and who can possibly facilitate with some form of measurement / fitment methodology?

Dunkeld Cycles, Northcliff Cycles, Complete Cyclist (Bryanston, as mentioned above)

I'm sure they all have some sort of measuring thing, but all 3 are great shops 

I don't know if anyone's experienced this: when I first started riding seriously (about 2.5 years ago), the Specialized Henge worked well for me... but lately it starts getting uncomfortable for anything more than 1.5 hours. I definitely have a lot less "padding" than I used to, so I figure that might be related.

Time to try something else, some good options here^

Edited by aquaratza

I don't know if anyone's experienced this: when I first started riding seriously (about 2.5 years ago), the Specialized Henge worked well for me... but lately it starts getting uncomfortable for anything more than 1.5 hours. I definitely have a lot less "padding" than I used to, so I figure that might be related.

Similar experience.

As my distances increased and my body fat percentage halved the saddle started hurting after 2 hour rides.

Tried a few different saddles, and found one that works.

Yeah, I have been fortunate that my Lindt chocolate egg consumption during Lockdown has helped me a little in terms of getting some of the padding back, but I think I will have the same issue again soon (had this before lockdown) and will probably need to change all my saddles...:(