Flat pedal shoes 2020

Spafsack

I recall one or two older threads about flat pedal shoes. Back in the day it was only 5 Tens. Mine are really getting old. Looking at the new Leate range. Anyone bought a pair, for the price it seems dam good value. Pity it is out of stock on most sites but local bike shop told me he will be getting in the dbx 3's next week. Think he said they around 1.6k, which is way cheaper than what i paid for my 5 Tens years ago. Not sure what other options there are... 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of options:

5-10: New "adidas" sizing, smaller last than they used to use. 

Spaz: About the same sizing as old 5-10 (pre-adidas) and v comfy. Also slightly cheaper

ION: Slimmer than Spaz & 5-10, but damn nice and well priced.

RC: New on the market, not sure on sizing

Leatt: New on the market, not sure on sizing.

Shimano: Yeah, not sure on pricing, local availability or sizing, but in EU they have a few options. 

Another option, if your shoes are in good enough condition, is to get them re-soled at Barksole or one of the shoe repair places. You can get Stealth Rubber sole (or an equivalent) for about R600 per pair. 

Hi Captain, valid points, thanx. So not so much my soles but the general look of my old 5 tens. Will update on sizing on the leate's next week, hope i can try them on.

Just had my 5.10 impact lows repaired. The sole separated from the uppers. R100 for a glue and stick and we are good to go again. Bought them back in 2011/12 I think and the soles are still really good.

Can’t see myself parting ways with them.

Ja loving my 5Ten Freeriders - would def get again. I do however get numb feet after long descents - I have never tried any other flat pedal specific shoes tbh so not sure if they could solve it but these shoes are QUALITY 

A bit off topic maybe (apologies - this might actually have been discussed before)...but..Coming down from the very top of Saaltjie (at the wooden deck) yesterday, all the way to the gate in one go my feet were quite numb and I was trying to sit down where I could along the way - not ideal.
This might be due to a couple of reasons, technique and fitness probably the main culprits, but I was looking at insole options this AM and contemplating these:

https://www.dischem.co.za/scholl-gel-active-insoles-sport-men 

Any thoughts? I thought this might be an easy option to alleviate some of the numbness and at the very least make the shoes lekkerder.

If the don't work (you obv can't return these) I'll put them in my almost decade old sheepskin slippers

Also a good article here:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/5-arch-supports-and-why-your-cycling-feet-need-them/

(I have DMR V12s FYI - also very lekker paired with the Freeriders)

Ja loving my 5Ten Freeriders - would def get again. I do however get numb feet after long descents - I have never tried any other flat pedal specific shoes tbh so not sure if they could solve it but these shoes are QUALITY

A bit off topic maybe (apologies - this might actually have been discussed before)...but..Coming down from the very top of Saaltjie (at the wooden deck) yesterday, all the way to the gate in one go my feet were quite numb and I was trying to sit down where I could along the way - not ideal.

This might be due to a couple of reasons, technique and fitness probably the main culprits, but I was looking at insole options this AM and contemplating these:

https://www.dischem.co.za/scholl-gel-active-insoles-sport-men

Any thoughts? I thought this might be an easy option to alleviate some of the numbness and at the very least make the shoes lekkerder.

If the don't work (you obv can't return these) I'll put them in my almost decade old sheepskin slippers

Also a good article here:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/5-arch-supports-and-why-your-cycling-feet-need-them/

(I have DMR V12s FYI - also very lekker paired with the Freeriders)

Same boat. I get numb toes after about 18km on the bike. Shimano Saint pedals.

Hi guys, so glad this thread is new and active as i also did not want to bring up the whole numb foot issue, but it is real.

The strange thing with me is it is worse on my right than my left foot.

I have even changed flat pedals, from Giant to Stamps. I chose the large stamp size as i am uk11, before, on the giant pedals, it felt like the outer part of my foot was kind of hanging over the edge. Hence the purchase of stamps, but still, i get this feeling, even though the stamps cover the entire surface under my feet. 

I then started playing with the spikes. I noticed that from the factory they not all the same. I screwed them in, out, even made the inner ones less high if that makes sense, and it feels better.

I also screwed in the middle ones all the way, so it kind of makes a slight concave. The concave is what i really liked about the giants, but allas, they were to small.

I have a feeling these spikes push on pressure points. After 15km my right foot gets pins and needles, goes numb. Its dam frustrating as i want to carry on, do a nice 30 kay, but the dam numnbess puts a damper on your ride.

This is part of the reason i want to try a different show. My next step is to turn down the spikes as much as possible and see if that makes a difference as i really dont need that level of grip.

I am keen to see what others say. I have googled my butt off, and it seems the issue is a real one.

My wife has a uk4, 5 tens, when we ride together she never gets this, so strange, and she is on the giants with spikes, just like i had. Then again, with her small feet that pedal works just perfect.

Hope we can get answers to this.....  

Same here. I had 2FO's and they were fine. Got rid of them as I need a very wide shoe, now I have 5TEN's  which are perfect for me and I love the stiff sole. Yeh I got numb too, but I wear insoles as I have a high arch and the extra cushion in the insole prevents numbness. 

I get numb feet with my 5ten Impact VXi Pro. On the same trail I don't get numb feet when using my 2fo clips. My 2c: its all about sole stiffness.

Same here. I had 2FO's and they were fine. Got rid of them as I need a very wide shoe, now I have 5TEN's which are perfect for me and I love the stiff sole. Yeh I got numb too, but I wear insoles as I have a high arch and the extra cushion in the insole prevents numbness.

This is what I want to hear...which insoles did you get?

This is interesting, maybe we now find out what is causing the numb feet. Thinking about it, stiffer soles will make a difference. My old five tens are so floppy its scary. My wifes new five tens are still as can be, no wonder she does not have this issue.

If i get a chance to try the leate's i will update you guys, my feet are also lank wide, really hope i can get answers.

Also sometimes get numb feet with my 5 10 Freerides, not as bad anymore though, sometimes it doesnt happen at all, kinda weird, one thing that made a big difference was making sure my laces are not to tight, when I first got them my feet went numb really quickly, thought it might be pedals, so changed to large Stamp 2, still went numb, then I started making my laces less tight, and that has helped PLENTY, now my laces are just tight enough that the shoes wont "ejecto seato" but loose enough that I can slip them on relatively easily without undoing the laces

Chad, how you finding the large stamp 2's? What did you have before them? Did you also have some sort of slight concave versus the stamps which dont. Will check my laces later today when i go for a spin. 

Will also check the laces now -  I do them super tight usually ... just because 
Will report back 

Chad, how you finding the large stamp 2's? What did you have before them? Did you also have some sort of slight concave versus the stamps which dont. Will check my laces later today when i go for a spin.

I had some Specialized flat pedals, they were actually really nice pedals, I bought the Stamps because I thought they would have a bigger platform, but they were very much the same size, and the Spaz pedals actually gripped better than the Stamps, not much, but a little better, kept the Stamps because they are serviceable, lighter and look better

I honestly never looked at pin heights or anything like that