Where to find a 2x8 Speed Square Taper Crankset?

MudLark

Hi guys, I have an as new Raleigh RC 2000. 2x8 speed. Problem is we cannot get the pedal out the drive side spindle. LBS broke a very large vice trying to get it out. Looking at the left side, someone fitted the pedals some years back with no lube at all. Seems like the only option is to replace the crankset. But it's a square tapered 2x8 speed (Shimano). Any idea at all where I'll find such a thing?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try some of the smaller bike shops they will sell left arms separately maybe not the same make but it can still work

Just make sure of tapered square or tapered diamond

That must be a pretty shtty vice for it to break getting a pedal out. A pedal will always be able to be removed but you need a decent vice, monkey wrench, a pipe for leverage and a cutting torch to heat it up nice and toasty. The pedal will also get ruined in the process but I'm assuming that's not a problem.

I'd vote to either get a new Lbs or as Miles said go to Nils and get just a new 2hnd arm, which will probably be cheaper and easier because those old budget 8 speed square taper crank arms are pretty worthless.

You should try some of the smaller bike shops they will sell left arms separately maybe not the same make but it can still work

Just make sure of tapered square or tapered diamond

Thanks for that. Will check.

Contact Nils at Woodstock Cycle Works. He'll have one.

Many thanks. That's very helpful indeed.

That must be a pretty shtty vice for it to break getting a pedal out. A pedal will always be able to be removed but you need a decent vice, monkey wrench, a pipe for leverage and a cutting torch to heat it up nice and toasty. The pedal will also get ruined in the process but I'm assuming that's not a problem.

I'd vote to either get a new Lbs or as Miles said go to Nils and get just a new 2hnd arm, which will probably be cheaper and easier because those old budget 8 speed square taper crank arms are pretty worthless.

Yes, I think they didn't use heat. Maybe I'll go over there with a Benzomatic sometime. Was a pretty big vice. Don't know what brand though. But I can tell you two men using all their weight and strength couldn't get it lose when the spindle was in the vice. Weird. Never seen anything like it.

Yes, I think they didn't use heat. Maybe I'll go over there with a Benzomatic sometime. Was a pretty big vice. Don't know what brand though. But I can tell you two men using all their weight and strength couldn't get it lose when the spindle was in the vice. Weird. Never seen anything like it.

They didn't attempt to shock it or get penetrating spray in before that?

I don't know what shock it refers to but penetrating oil was tried without success. Sat with it on for some days I believe.

I don't know what shock it refers to but penetrating oil was tried without success. Sat with it on for some days I believe.

shocking it by tapping / moering it with a hammer. Like a manual impact driver, essentially. It gives the item a brief, large rotational shock that serves to break the bond. 

Hi guys, I have an as new Raleigh RC 2000. 2x8 speed. Problem is we cannot get the pedal out the drive side spindle. LBS broke a very large vice trying to get it out. Looking at the left side, someone fitted the pedals some years back with no lube at all. Seems like the only option is to repelace the crankset. But it's a square tapered 2x8 speed (Shimano). Any idea at all where I'll find such a thing?

Why do you want to replace with a 2x8 speed. Just get a Tiagra 2x9 crankset. It'll be easier to find and likely cheaper. The 9 speed Tiagra will still be square taper. If only octalink units are available then replace the BB as well. These parts are very cheap compared the 10& 11 speed. parts.

But try Nils at Woodstock Cycle Works first.If you don't come right try :

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-cranksets/

Thanks guys. I am going to go over to the LBS with a Benzomatic and we'll try heating it as one last attempt. If that doesn't fail, I will either saw something from Woodstock or otherwise converted to a more current format.

Why do you want to replace with a 2x8 speed. Just get a Tiagra 2x9 crankset. It'll be easier to find and likely cheaper. The 9 speed Tiagra will still be square taper. If only octalink units are available then replace the BB as well. These parts are very cheap compared the 10& 11 speed. parts.

But try Nils at Woodstock Cycle Works first.If you don't come right try :

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-cranksets/

What I was thinking also. Now is the time to get rid of the taper and save weight

What I was thinking also. Now is the time to get rid of the taper and save weight

The bike is intended to only ever sit on my indoor trainer (which I use almost exclusively only for structured workouts). Spending money on saving weight doesn't make much sense. The bike is like new though. So one feels it is worth saving. Problem is the market value is probably less than a new crank and bottom bracket. Well, not much more anyway.

The bike is intended to only ever sit on my indoor trainer (which I use almost exclusively only for structured workouts). Spending money on saving weight doesn't make much sense. The bike is like new though. So one feels it is worth saving. Problem is the market value is probably less than a new crank and bottom bracket. Well, not much more anyway.

Then trying to salvage as best you can makes sense.

Options provided will help you to keep costs low

Then trying to salvage as best you can makes sense.

Options provided will help you to keep costs low

Diesel, thank you. Agreed. Thank you once again for your very useful input and support.