Help: Used 2013 Scott Spark 900 SL Full Carbon

Shaun23

Those swing arm bearing creak like crazy!

I agree with Bob, I'm sure you can find better bike on thehub.

Would you guys recommend this for 6k more?

post-165861-0-25840400-1596739364_thumb.jpg

post-165861-0-37901900-1596739389_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys recommend this for 6k more?

definitely not. I had a 2019 Spark 940 which is quite a lot better spec than this 960 and that was such a disappointment I sold it after a handful of rides even upgraded wheels and parts but it was still a no for me . Going to the new Scott lowest range I would go would be the team rc or the 920. I had a previous gen 910 similar to the 900 you are looking at and it was much better to me.

At that price I would definitely go for the Trek Procaliber 9.6 currently on sale for 29k for the 2020 model.

I've ridden an entry Scott Spark 960. It is by no means a terrible bike. If you are going out to have fun and not ride aggressively, it is fine. If you are going to start hunting Strava KOMs or hotting downhills hard, then go for a decent second hand bike

Or this if you need a medium. Great bike for very little money:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/419553/brand-new-giant-anthem

Edited by the_bob

definitely not. I had a 2019 Spark 940 which is quite a lot better spec than this 960 and that was such a disappointment I sold it after a handful of rides even upgraded wheels and parts but it was still a no for me . Going to the new Scott lowest range I would go would be the team rc or the 920. I had a previous gen 910 similar to the 900 you are looking at and it was much better to me.

At that price I would definitely go for the Trek Procaliber 9.6 currently on sale for 29k for the 2020 model.

Good to know, i tried a much newer lower spec Scott Dual Suspension at the the same place they have the 2013 900 Spark, it felt a lot slower and sluggish and cheap.

I am looking for a dual suspension, but thanks for the heads up on the trek.

Other bikes i have found in the 25k range: (Other than the 2020 960 Spark and 2013 900 Spark)

2017 Scott 950 (This looks nice but is a 2 x 11 drive train).

2018 Merida 120 600 

I've ridden an entry Scott Spark 960. It is by no means a terrible bike. If you are going out to have fun and not ride aggressively, it is fine. If you are going to start hunting Strava KOMs or hotting downhills hard, then go for a decent second hand bike

Or this if you need a medium. Great bike for very little money:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/419553/brand-new-giant-anthem

Thanks for the input man, I am looking for a Large and also needs to be 29er and not 26 as the Giant you posted. Appreciate the help. 

A spanner in the works, speaking of smaller wheels, i did see a Large 27.5 Pyga thats basically new for 26k. But im guessing that is more for enduro than trails and xc.

Thanks for the input man, I am looking for a Large and also needs to be 29er and not 26 as the Giant you posted. Appreciate the help. 

A spanner in the works, speaking of smaller wheels, i did see a Large 27.5 Pyga thats basically new for 26k. But im guessing that is more for enduro than trails and xc.

Don't let wheel size get into your head. I saw that Pyga as well. It is a great bike and will be very much at home doing XC and Trails

Doubt you will go wrong with that Pyga, I am going to start sounding like a broken recorf on these forums, but contact Ian at Mellow Velo cycles, see what he has in their range at that price point, the pricing on bikes I have asked about from them has always quite a lot better than any other shop

Don't get either of those Scotts you posted from Bikemarket and Bike Addict.

I suggest you have some patience and decide exactly what you want first.

Then watch the classifieds closely for 2 weeks and be ready to pounce.

I got my bike for a steal 15 mins after it was posted. 3 guys were begging for it from the seller after I did the deal.

I had thought about what I wanted and did not hesitate after finding out what I needed to know from the seller regarding the condition of the bike (really good pics were posted).

The best deals sell fast.

Good luck and beware of scammers.

I am generally suspicious of new members who have no history of adverts / posts.

I am taking the Scott 900 to try out this weekend will let you guys know how it goes, also any recommendations on trails, we have done Northern farms, Huddle park and Delta Park.

Really appreciate it.

I am taking the Scott 900 to try out this weekend will let you guys know how it goes, also any recommendations on trails, we have done Northern farms, Huddle park and Delta Park.

Really appreciate it.

A good spot to test bike handling would be Big Red Barn. 

What kind of ride are you after? 

A good spot to test bike handling would be Big Red Barn. 

What kind of ride are you after? 

Trail and Cross Country. Thanks will check it out

Trail and Cross Country. Thanks will check it out

Red barn is a very playful spot with minimal climbing but some nice flowing sections. 

For a good XC and climbing experience see if any groups are going up Breedts Nek. Be warned. It's a monster if you aren't the fittest. 

Saw this now as well:

I know the guy selling that bike, he is a decent honest guy, that bike will have been well looked after

I agree with the_bob just checking from the classifieds you can get a bike like this,

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/415106/rocky-mountain

Agree, this is a much better bike than the Scott and seems to be in good condition.

I had a Scott Spark 950 (Al though), now have a 2013 RM Element 970 RSL.  Besides the carbon frame, the difference is chalk and cheese.

And its not because I'm a RM fan ...   :thumbup:

Edited by Theog