Micro spline or Xd drive

Johny_mtb

What is the best affordable option between micro spline and Xd drive and what hubs would be recomended.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johny_mtb

I might be missing the point but the cassette usually determines which freehub body you go with. Which cassette are you planning on using?

Hi nick,I want to upgrade to 12 speed but don't really know whats my best affordable reliable option Shimano(Micro spline) or sram(xd drive)

Hi nick,I want to upgrade to 12 speed but don't really know whats my best affordable reliable option Shimano(Micro spline) or sram(xd drive)

I think shimano microspline and XT cassette 10-51. You must also look at gearing as IMHO you don't want an 11 sprocket - 10 smallest is an NB otherwise you lose to much on the flats.

I think shimano microspline and XT cassette 10-51. You must also look at gearing as IMHO you don't want an 11 sprocket - 10 smallest is an NB otherwise you lose to much on the flats.

He wants 12 speed. Shimano & Sram both have 10 as there smallest cog now.

Edit: 10/51 Shimano as you said .

Edited by Pikey

He wants 12 speed. Shimano & Sram both have 10 as there smallest cog now.

Yes but there's other cassettes (like sram NX) and sunrace that go from 11-50 ...

Yes but there's other cassettes (like sram NX) and sunrace that go from 11-50 ...

Nx doesn’t use xd driver but the old Shimano hub .

Sunrace also has an 10/50 casette that is affordable but dont know if reliable.

Thoughts on that?

I can’t speak from personal experience with sunrace but I believe it offers value . Not sure about longevity and shift quality compared to Shimano & Sram.

Rapide hubs and freebodies are by far the most affordable the last time i checked, but i stand to be corrected. And they now have a microspline option too. The hub is around 1800 and the freebody (xd or microspline) is around 900 randelas.

Im loving my slx 10-51 ????

https://www.rapide.co.za/

If it's purely budget orientated then Shimano SLX, as it is cheaper than the new SRAM Eagle GX (10-52t) group set, which then means Micro spline hub.

Sunrace does offer value, have heard and can testify (albeit on 2x10 XT) that the Shimano RD and shifters don't work as well on the Sunrace cassettes when compared to standard Shimano cassettes.

Having said that, the Rapide hub is the most affordable option, but good luck on getting stock...
If you are going micro spline, the standard Shimano hubs work well and are relatively easy to service at a later date.

On a side note, just ensure that you select the correct hub width and axle standard when buying a new hub.

If you go Shimano 12-speed, it's best to have Shimano cassette and chain paired. They're designed to work together. I've seen a non-Shimano chain cause shifting problems with a Shimano 12-speed cassette because it can't properly engage the Hyperglide+ ramps on the cassette.

Not sure if it's as an issue the other way around but they are designed to work together more so than 11-speed Shimano was.

The difference in the speed “lost” is 9 rpm.

9 rpm in a 10t is the same spes kmph as 99rpm in the 11t

With the new sunrace 11-52. One can run a 34 up front. Have a better climbing than 32 x 51 and more speed than 32x10

Sunrace also has an 10/50 casette that is affordable but dont know if reliable.

Thoughts on that?

Keep you current free hub and go 11-52 Sunrace