Micro spline or Xd drive

Johny_mtb

Am I the only one frothing for a 34T paired with Shimano's 12s 10-45 cassette? The easiest gear is close enough (a touch easier) than my 32T-42t 11 speed, which can be hard work at times but that only makes you stronger.

I'm using 11sp, 38 x 11-48T, works well for me.  36T and smaller in front is not for me, don't like riding high cadence.

When I decide to spend the money on 12sp it will be: 38 x 10-52

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using 11sp, 38 x 11-48T, works well for me.  36T and smaller in front is not for me, don't like riding high cadence.

When I decide to spend the money on 12sp it will be: 38 x 10-52

Knowing your preferred ratios, for your area and your riding style, puts you far ahead of most that ask about the various gearing options ....

I have had two SRAM GX bikes ..... buying my current bike I EXCLUDED two options purely to not have another tickety-tickety-sram .... when adjusted PERFECTLY the 1x12 systems are nice.  But look hard at it and it needs micro adjustments during the ride ....

Three of the bikes at home are currently 1x11 Shimano, two of which are running Sunrace cassettes.  YES, one loose out ever so slightly in the full range of gears .... small price to pay for a rugged no-nonsense system that just continues to work.  Should add that I am looking for an excuse to upgrade the commuter to an 1x11 as well ....

• 1 year later...

Wise ppl of the hub

I currently have dt swiss 240hybrid hub, ratchet with xd driver.

Iwant to switch to shimano cassette  so would need microspline, do I just get a shimano freehub?if yes, must it be the dt swiss or is ther other options. 

Reason I have learnt to love shimano shifting over sram

10 hours ago, MajG said:

Wise ppl of the hub

Iwant to switch to shimano cassette  so would need microspline, do I just get a shimano freehub?if yes, must it be the dt swiss or is ther other options. 

I also have a DT Swiss star ratchet hub, got Microspline with 12 speed XTR cassette.  Yes you need a DT Swiss Microspline freehub.  Just do some homework first, apparently there are some DT Swiss hubs that are not compatible with, YES, their own freehub body.

You can check with Marc on here if yours are.  If it is not compatible, a plan can be made to get it to work but that void the warranty and is not recommended.  Luckily mine worked without any mods.

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I also have a DT Swiss star ratchet hub, got Microspline with 12 speed XTR cassette.  Yes you need a DT Swiss Microspline freehub.  Just do some homework first, apparently there are some DT Swiss hubs that are not compatible with, YES, their own freehub body.

You can check with Marc on here if yours are.  If it is not compatible, a plan can be made to get it to work but that void the warranty and is not recommended.  Luckily mine worked without any mods.

Ok was just checking yes as I read up on certain hubs incompatibilities etc.

So must be a dt swiss, can't use Stans or lyne freehub.

Will check with MarcHD

Shot Theo ????????

12 hours ago, MajG said:

Wise ppl of the hub

I can also help you out MajG,youll need a MS freebody as well as the pairing end cap.

I have some available PM me if needed

21 minutes ago, MajG said:

Ok was just checking yes as I read up on certain hubs incompatibilities etc.

So must be a dt swiss, can't use Stans or lyne freehub.

Will check with MarcHD

Shot Theo ????????

As far as I remember its some of the "straight pull" hubs that have an issue, if you have J-Bend, you should be OK, but Marc is the authority on this.

Edit:

@CARANXCycleMobile, André, het jy dalk meer as een?  Hoeveel vra jy (whatsapp my asb)?  Ek kan ook weer doen met 'n paar kouse of twee.

Edited by TheoG

Why not just keep your XD driver and SRAM cassette and run it with the Shimano shifter and derailleur? It will be a lot cheaper to go this route.

13 hours ago, MajG said:

Wise ppl of the hub

Hi there,

As TheoG states, some DT hubs (142mm Straightpull) were not compatible with the microspline freehub. This is less to do with DT's incompetence, but rather simply to do with the new standard (designed by Shimano) being of a shape that just happened to not fit DT's hub shell used on straightpull 142mm hubs. 

If you have a 240/240s Hybrid hub however, you are not at any risk of incompatibility and we can gladly assist you with SRAM XD, Shimano HG or Shimano 12spd Microspline freehubs either through our B2C portal here:

https://getstokedonline.co.za/product/dt-swiss-shimano-12spd-freehub-for-star-ratchet-hubs-hybrid-steel/

or through your local bike shop by my contacting them to arrange delivery.

PLEASE NOTE: as the product page suggests, you will need the drive side end cap in order to convert to Shimano 12speed, and you will need to manually add this to your cart as clearly instructed on the product page!

Please reach out to me should you have any further questions!

Edited by MarcHD

7 minutes ago, MarcHD said:

Hi there,

As TheoG states, some DT hubs (142mm Straightpull) were not compatible with the microspline freehub. This is less to do with DT's incompetence, but rather simply to do with the new standard (designed by Shimano) being of a shape that just happened to not fit DT's hub shell used on straightpull 142mm hubs. 

If you have a 240/240s Hybrid hub however, you are not at any risk of incompatibility and we can gladly assist you with SRAM XD, Shimano HG or Shimano 12spd Microspline freehubs either through our B2C portal here:

https://getstokedonline.co.za/product/dt-swiss-shimano-12spd-freehub-for-star-ratchet-hubs-hybrid-steel/

PLEASE NOTE: as the product page suggests, you will need the drive side end cap in order to convert to Shimano 12speed, and you will need to manually add this to your cart as clearly instructed on the product page!

There are clearly exceptions, I have exactly that, 142 straight pull hub and its working 100%.

10 hours ago, MarcHD said:

Hi there,

Will be going via my lbs, appreciate your response

Thanks 

11 hours ago, Schnavel said:

Why not just keep your XD driver and SRAM cassette and run it with the Shimano shifter and derailleur? It will be a lot cheaper to go this route.

I'm looking long term, sram cassettes are pricier than shimano , like for like. 

Also just prefer the shimano shifting feel over sram

13 hours ago, MajG said:

Agree, the shifting with Shimano is great.

Edited by TheoG

13 hours ago, MajG said:

Will be going via my lbs, appreciate your response

Thanks 

No problem, let me know if you would like me to reach out to them for you

13 hours ago, MajG said:

My personal opinion / experience can be summed up in one sentence: 

SRAM feels better, Shimano works better. 

I Personally prefer SRAM as I love the bullet quick, snappy feeling of the shifts.

However...

This feeling is subjective and the reality I must concede is that Shimano definitely shifts better and can take more load while shifting too.